U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2014, 01:01 PM

6 posts, read 7,321 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatAngMoh View Post
See the Pomona thread for recent discussion on Covina. You should focus on your kids rather than a commute. Covina is the 'hood. Stick to the Asian areas where there is less crime and better schools rather than saving gas or cutting drive time.

Oh thanks for the intimation on Covina. And just to add, I have no kids. It's just me and my wife.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2014, 01:13 PM

6 posts, read 7,321 times
Quote:
See the Pomona thread for recent discussion on Covina. You should focus on your kids rather than a commute. Covina is the 'hood. Stick to the Asian areas where there is less crime and better schools rather than saving gas or cutting drive time.
In your earlier post you mentioned about the Asian neighborhoods - Alhambra, Temple City and San Gabriel. Are these the only Asian ones near Rosemead-Irwindale?

Old 10-17-2014, 01:36 PM

822 posts, read 923,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shekhraj View Post
In your earlier post you mentioned about the Asian neighborhoods - Alhambra, Temple City and San Gabriel. Are these the only Asian ones near Rosemead-Irwindale?
They are the ones I recommend for you. You can throw in Rowland Heights. Drive around. You may or may not like them. But you won't robbed as generally safe places. Covina proper is a different story.

West Covina has a large Filipino population.

"The 2010 United States Census reported that West Covina had a population of 106,098. The population density was 6,594.3 people per square mile (2,546.1/km˛). The racial makeup of West Covina was (42.8%) White (15.3% Non-Hispanic White), (4.5%) African American, (1.0%) Native American, (25.8%) Asian, (0.2%) Pacific Islander, (21.3%) from other races, and (4.4%) from two or more races. Persons of Hispanic or Latino origin were (53.2%)."

CLICK HERE:

Where do Asian Indian (Punjabi) people live?

Old 10-17-2014, 06:46 PM

13,958 posts, read 13,604,169 times
Quote:
See the Pomona thread for recent discussion on Covina. Covina is the 'hood.
You mean YOUR discussion. Covina is the 'hood? Ever been to Covina? Sent your kids to Covina schools or lived in the Covina Hills area? Why do you continue to comment on areas to which you have never even been?

To the OP, don't confuse West Covina with Covina.

Old 10-17-2014, 07:31 PM

822 posts, read 923,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
You mean YOUR discussion. Covina is the 'hood? Ever been to Covina? Sent your kids to Covina schools or lived in the Covina Hills area? Why do you continue to comment on areas to which you have never even been?

To the OP, don't confuse West Covina with Covina.
It's my opinion only. Don't mean to offend you at all if that's the problem.

Last edited by BeatAngMoh; 10-17-2014 at 07:41 PM..

Old 10-19-2014, 03:20 PM

100 posts, read 95,801 times
Quote:
I have googled the West Covina area and just by the looks of it I feel it has many things at a short drive..malls/pharmacies/groceries etc....is it a safe neighborhood ?

Sorry for the delay, been on the road a bit recently. I would say first that my recommendations were based on your original post which made no mention of schools and kids. I was strictly going by my own personal observations and experience in the area and suggesting areas where there seems to be more people from South Asia as well as your desire to live near both Rosemead and Irwindale (otherwise I'd be pointing you at the Artesia area). Be aware that the further east you go, the longer and less pleasant the trip west in the A.M.and east in the P.M. The 10 freeway and 605 are both brutal rush hour drives in the area you are considering and I was mostly considering towns where you could avoid these and have alternate surface street routes to your destination(s).

West Covina and Covina are both cities with neighborhoods which can vary widely in respect to livability, noise, safety, etc. In Covina, the Charter Oak area as well as other east side neighborhoods are just as good as any other middle income communities in the SGV. This would be the first place I'd look.

West Covina has some really expensive neighborhoods, especially near the South Hills Country Club and the hills abutting Walnut. Your problem will be finding the type of rental you desire in these neighborhoods at the price you want. Other neighborhoods with lots of apartments are not usually in the best areas of WesCo but they do usually have more shopping, dining, etc. nearby.

Both towns have areas of high density multi-unit housing giving largely over to Section 8 residency. These are usually not such a red hot place to live although there are exceptions. Some of the older construction (pre- WWll) have nice duplex and 4-plex type units that might be in your price range but the ones I have seen are almost always single bedroom.

Old 10-22-2014, 09:51 PM

50 posts, read 59,764 times
Quote:
East LA County is full of Asian neighborhoods. Alhambra, Temple City, San Gabriel that you mentioned. Throw in Arcadia, Rosemead, part of El monte as well. Further east, Rowland/Hacienda Heights area, Diamond Bar, and even Chino Hills have plenty of asian population and businesses. Walk-ability is not so much of a city thing but rather neighborhood specific. West Covina has some apartments on Azusa that has a good portion of apartments that are walking distance to a Filipino Market, Target and some restaurants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles