U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2014, 12:57 AM

1 posts, read 730 times

Advertisements

Hi there everyone,
This is my first post every on city data. I am going to be moving to Los Angeles, atleast i hope so.

Here's a little bit about me; Im 16, about to turn 17 next month. I have my ged, and i'm currently in college getting my associates degree. I plan on moving to California when I turn 18!

I really want to become an actress, everyone tells me i have great potential and i think i can make it if i try hard enough. Im currently saving money (6/7 months worth of rent) until i can find a job in LA..

HERE IS MY PLAN. Please let me know what you think.

900 x 7 = 6300 RENT
100 x 7 = 0700 TRANSPORTATION
150 x 7 = 1050 FOOD
100 x 7 = 0700 CABLE/PHONE BILL
1250 for miscellaneous things

The total would be about 10K. Do you think If i moved to LA at 18 years old I could make it with 10 thousand dollars? Plus i would also have a job by then. I could really use some advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2014, 04:17 AM

1,070 posts, read 2,882,897 times
When you get here focus on getting a job and forget about acting until you are settled. Have fun..

Old 10-16-2014, 09:19 AM

822 posts, read 920,440 times
If you decided to come, when you get here, you need to find a job fast. Always have some cushion as far as money. You are smart enough to have about 6 months extra but you should ideally have a year or more. $900 means you will be in a roommate situation. Make sure you have vetted your choices carefully so you are not rooming with some loonies. You are taking a risk having said all this as tons of people come to El A to pursue their dreams but only a tiny minority make it in the entertainment field.

Old 10-16-2014, 09:27 AM

2,404 posts, read 3,581,042 times
People will complain about the cold weather here during winter. Please don't laugh at them! I was raised in California, but lived in Boston for about 5 years. Good luck!

Old 10-16-2014, 12:41 PM

3,196 posts, read 2,351,854 times
Keep saving. If you reach the $10k just keep saving anyway. Having more money than you may need will never be a bad thing. And pursue acting where you are in the meantime. Do theater as much as you can. Most of making it in show business is luck, but doing it without talent and experience is like winning the lottery twice in the same week. And casting agents seem to have a lot of respect for stage actors.
For living in LA, I would say get roommates. You won't be able to afford a place on your own and there are tons of young actresses in need of roommates. My girlfriend's roommate is a struggling young actress with a pretty good job at an Apple Store and she could NEVER afford to live on her own.

Old 10-16-2014, 01:49 PM

1,238 posts, read 1,329,232 times
This post is refreshing as it seems the usual bitter negative CD members who comment on these posts must be busy at work or eating their weight in food. That said, 10K is a really good start to saving up for a move. Having an Associate's Degree and an GED is also a good start, but your number one hinderance to finding a job will be age. Like another user said, focus on getting work, a stable apartment with decent roommates, and then once you have established a footing in Los Angeles, look into acting. Take some classes, meet some people, sign up with Central Casting if need be, start looking for a cheap agent to send you out on auditions. You're really going to have to put yourself out their and commit to networking if you want to make it to auditions.

Best of L.

Old 10-16-2014, 02:40 PM

5,619 posts, read 13,301,589 times
$10k is a good start for sure. But like everyone else said, focus on getting a job first. Even if it's just waiting tables or working at Starbucks. Just something to have some income so that everything you saved doesn't just continually dwindle away while you try to get into acting. Once you have that job, when you're not working, that's when you can start looking for acting stuff. But making acting your priority right away is not a good idea.

Old 10-16-2014, 03:25 PM

401 posts, read 604,496 times
glad to see you're actually doing some analysis, as opposed to many yahoos who post on City Data asking when they move to LA, what type of car is best to be homeless in.

That said..yes, year's salary is better. Your numbers for food and transport look low to me. $150 is $5 a day. Transportation could be $100 if you get a bus and rail pass, I think. Plan on spending alot of time getting to your auditions.

Old 10-17-2014, 02:58 AM

29,580 posts, read 31,907,081 times
Are you an "actress" now? As in, do you participate in theater in any way? Do you want to be an "actress" or do you want something else? You can be involved in acting practically anywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or