U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2014, 12:20 AM

367 posts, read 503,046 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatAngMoh View Post
I haven't but I drive to some of those areas to eat authentic food so I think I qualify to share my observations. Any unsupported accusation against a specific group is racist. Back up your comments and I might concur but you have no data.
getting your occasional fix of authentic asian food in one of these neighborhoods doesn't qualify you to make judgements on the observations of long time residents

i've lived in heavily asian areas before and I would agree, as well as add that hasidic jews around pico robertson/beverlywood are just as bad at driving

Old 10-18-2014, 12:40 AM

3,196 posts, read 2,353,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
We need legislation to keep foreigners from buying up our country. Americans need homes too.
It's not like there are American buyers left homeless because Chinese buyers are scooping up homes in affluent communities. The vast majority of Americans can't even afford homes in these communities.

Old 10-18-2014, 12:58 AM

4,576 posts, read 7,624,207 times
A darn shame. Those people should be taxed into oblivion before being allowed to buy in this country.

Old 10-18-2014, 01:24 AM

822 posts, read 920,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
A darn shame. Those people should be taxed into oblivion before being allowed to buy in this country.
They are in the form of property taxes given the high ticket price of the homes.

Old 10-18-2014, 02:42 AM

8,835 posts, read 8,966,941 times
If foreigners started buying up vast amounts of real estate in China, I wonder how the Chinese would react. However, the question is purely hypothetical, since China is very "protectionist" and expresses xenophobia and hate towards outsiders. In fact, the only reason an American friend of mine is allowed to live there is because he married a Chinese girl. And even though he's at least 6 feet tall, essentially making him a giant over there, people still mess with him frequently.

Old 10-18-2014, 04:48 AM

89 posts, read 211,637 times
My widowed mother is in her 90s and lives in the Arcadia home she and my dad bought over 50 years ago. The demand for her home (and I'm sure many others like it) is so great that she has received unsolicited signed sales contracts (in addition to the postcards mentioned in the article) in the mail.

Old 10-18-2014, 09:16 AM

11,435 posts, read 15,946,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MordinSolus View Post
It's not like there are American buyers left homeless because Chinese buyers are scooping up homes in affluent communities. The vast majority of Americans can't even afford homes in these communities.
I marketed in the Arcadia area back in the 1990s. There were parts that were solidly middle class as well as rich parts. I remember that most Chinese were taking over Monterey Park, Rosemead, San Gabriel, Hacienda Hts and Rowland Hts. Foreigners should not be allowed to take over whole cities in this manner. I'll bet the Chinese wouldn't like it if Americans bought up their communities. If foreigners weren't aggressively competing with Americans, perhaps natives could buy in these areas.

Old 10-18-2014, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
If foreigners started buying up vast amounts of real estate in China, I wonder how the Chinese would react. However, the question is purely hypothetical, since China is very "protectionist" and expresses xenophobia and hate towards outsiders. In fact, the only reason an American friend of mine is allowed to live there is because he married a Chinese girl. And even though he's at least 6 feet tall, essentially making him a giant over there, people still mess with him frequently.
And black, Asians, and Hispanics didn't (don't) face discrimination? Certainly, the level of hostility is not what it was since the abolition of slavery, anti-Asian immigration laws, incarceration of Japanese-Americans (while Germans roamed free), and in El A the Zoot Suit riots, and to this day the Minute Men racists. Every society is on a curve. You friend lives in a homogenous society over there and I would say in a century it will get better. Why should they be scared of him because of his height and the fact he is white? That's a white man's entitlement assumption that he should control things. He's in an Asian country and needs to deal with the fact he is a minority and his power if any is very limited.

Old 10-18-2014, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
I marketed in the Arcadia area back in the 1990s. There were parts that were solidly middle class as well as rich parts. I remember that most Chinese were taking over Monterey Park, Rosemead, San Gabriel, Hacienda Hts and Rowland Hts. Foreigners should not be allowed to take over whole cities in this manner. I'll bet the Chinese wouldn't like it if Americans bought up their communities. If foreigners weren't aggressively competing with Americans, perhaps natives could buy in these areas.
Not all of the people doing your "takeover" were foreigners. In fact, a small minority were. They may not have been born here but many were naturalized citizens and long time residents of El A moving there because where they lived before was no longer ideal. And for the new arrivals going there it was because they saw others congregating there and felt more comfortable. Imagine the hostility if they had moved to the Valley. Its the same reason Armenians congregated in Glendale and Jews in the Fairfax District.

For every buyer there was a willing seller. No one was cheated. The people in those areas who sold went to South OC and did very well in their real estate transactions, reaping a gain and then parlaying that into very good appreciation again.

You have no clue on housing patterns in earlier times in El A. Some of the Asian migration to the SGV was due to previously being confined to South Central or Chinatown.

Yes, we should reintroduce protective covenants:
Living with a reminder of segregation - Los Angeles Times

Even Tom Bradley, former mayor, had to use a third party to buy a house in Leimert Park due to racist restrictive covenants.

Learn something before you speak. To be frank, if you can't afford a better home, don't blame others. You put yourself in your situation. Too bad! This is just incredible.

Last edited by BeatAngMoh; 10-18-2014 at 10:31 AM..

Old 10-18-2014, 09:54 AM

11,435 posts, read 15,946,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatAngMoh View Post
Yes, we should reintroduce protective covenants:
Living with a reminder of segregation - Los Angeles Times
There IS a difference between foreigners and native ethnic citizens who were born and raised here.

Last edited by wehotex; 10-18-2014 at 10:06 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or