U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 01:13 AM

8,860 posts, read 8,988,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sydlee View Post
Poor you. I've given you respect by taking the time to address your assertions head-on with logic and constructive criticism in earlier posts, yet each time, you've refused to truly address any statements that poke holes into your flimsy and misleading assertions. Instead, each time your comments are challenged with objectivity and logic, you simply ignore what is being said and respond by quoting misleading half statements and/or gamely changing the direction of the conversation: "nunchackus," "Norway," "stop arguing emotionally," "loaded words." You ignore any solid argument that renders your assertions frail and unstable. A critical reading of this thread reveals your inability to have a real conversation. In your next post, do change the focus of this thread again; after all, it's what you've been doing all along.

I understand now that you have no intention of having a real conversation.
All you've done is type some boiler plate statements which seem reasonable to somebody who has not read previous posts in this thread. However, your post really isn't applicable given that it's a response to not much of anything I've stated.

Old 10-23-2014, 01:33 AM

497 posts, read 1,238,364 times
I have been watching development & housing prices increase substantially in that area. I've think these homes may eventually be occupied or occupied as a 2nd home. Yes foreign money is parking in these areas and eventually it will stop and the market prices will drop down to a more reasonable level...my opinion.

Way over West, by me in Santa Monica, Beverly Hills, Brentwood etc..housing prices are going up dramatically as well. I checked several high end home sales over the past 3-6 months and found a vast majority were individuals directly or indirectly related to the entertainment industry...So the same thing is happening out here too..just a different category.

Im actually a little irritated about it myself, because I wanted to buy some investment property and land values now are ridiculous with inventory next to zero.... 2010-11 was a good time to buy.

Old 10-23-2014, 02:09 AM

24,250 posts, read 13,734,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greggd1 View Post
I have been watching development & housing prices increase substantially in that area. I've think these homes may eventually be occupied or occupied as a 2nd home. Yes foreign money is parking in these areas and eventually it will stop and the market prices will drop down to a more reasonable level...my opinion.

Way over West, by me in Santa Monica, Beverly Hills, Brentwood etc..housing prices are going up dramatically as well. I checked several high end home sales over the past 3-6 months and found a vast majority were individuals directly or indirectly related to the entertainment industry...So the same thing is happening out here too..just a different category.

Im actually a little irritated about it myself, because I wanted to buy some investment property and land values now are ridiculous with inventory next to zero.... 2010-11 was a good time to buy.
It seems the growth is the 'high end' in much of the country.

I was just in San Marino today and those houses are pretty amazing. I saw an article saying it's the 3rd most expensive part of the L.A area , Santa Monica being the most expensive.

But the average house in San Marino seems quite large.

2009-2012 was a good time to buy, I bought my house during that time..but not in a neighborhood like SM,BH etc its in the valley.

Land values and housing in those areas has been pretty ridiculous for a while. Even during the "crash" prices didn't fall too much in areas like Santa Monica.

Many of these owners either had their homes paid off, low mortgages or simply had the cashflow to wait until prices went back up.

Not seeing too much opportunity in L.A for real estate now ..it's great if you already owned property from a while back like these people in Arcadia that can sell for crazy amounts , but as far as getting into something now it's difficult.

And to buy these lots and develop big homes (which is the demand) costs big money and is still pretty speculative.

I think the opportunity is in urban areas that are growing and improving. Many cities are focusing on their downtowns and improving them and more people want to be in walkable areas etc .

L.A has had a good run for those that were able to buy back in the day..but I'm not seeing too much upside at these levels.

I'm thinking of selling my house and putting it towards investment property other cities that are heating up but still affordable.

Old 10-23-2014, 10:15 AM

822 posts, read 922,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post

I was just in San Marino today and those houses are pretty amazing. I saw an article saying it's the 3rd most expensive part of the L.A area , Santa Monica being the most expensive.

2009-2012 was a good time to buy, I bought my house during that time..but not in a neighborhood like SM,BH etc its in the valley.

Land values and housing in those areas has been pretty ridiculous for a while. Even during the "crash" prices didn't fall too much in areas like Santa Monica.

Many of these owners either had their homes paid off, low mortgages or simply had the cashflow to wait until prices went back up.

Not seeing too much opportunity in L.A for real estate now ..it's great if you already owned property from a while back like these people in Arcadia that can sell for crazy amounts , but as far as getting into something now it's difficult.

And to buy these lots and develop big homes (which is the demand) costs big money and is still pretty speculative.

I think the opportunity is in urban areas that are growing and improving. Many cities are focusing on their downtowns and improving them and more people want to be in walkable areas etc .

L.A has had a good run for those that were able to buy back in the day..but I'm not seeing too much upside at these levels.

I'm thinking of selling my house and putting it towards investment property other cities that are heating up but still affordable.
Which cities are you considering?

Old 10-23-2014, 02:46 PM

8,860 posts, read 8,988,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post

We've really sabotaged our own society by firstly, allowing foreign students from China and elsewhere to attend universities and bring Western knowledge back to Asia, and then by allowing them to not only take jobs (e.g. U.S. owned R&D facilities located in Asia, the mendacious H-1b program, etc.), but use their own capital to buy us out. What healthy society does this to themselves?

Old 10-23-2014, 07:41 PM

555 posts, read 572,536 times
Does anyone here think Monrovia, Duarte, and other cities near Arcadia will experience a considerable uplift in prices as well?

Old 10-23-2014, 08:36 PM

822 posts, read 922,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
We've really sabotaged our own society by firstly, allowing foreign students from China and elsewhere to attend universities and bring Western knowledge back to Asia, and then by allowing them to not only take jobs (e.g. U.S. owned R&D facilities located in Asia, the mendacious H-1b program, etc.), but use their own capital to buy us out. What healthy society does this to themselves?
For you:
http://www.amazon.com/Who-Moved-My-C.../dp/0399144463

Old 10-23-2014, 08:39 PM

9,701 posts, read 6,689,136 times
Quote:
Does anyone here think Monrovia, Duarte, and other cities near Arcadia will experience a considerable uplift in prices as well?
Those towns are not as nice, so probably no.

Old 10-23-2014, 08:50 PM

13,937 posts, read 13,588,503 times
Quote:
The further east from downtown L.A. you are, the less desirable it is, commute-wise, and prices reflect this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Those towns are not as nice, so probably no.
Actually, not true.

Old 10-23-2014, 08:53 PM

5,823 posts, read 3,105,085 times
Quote:
Over time as Arcadia runs out of room the richer Chinese will join their poorer cousins who had already settled for the hub cities around Arcadia. Instead of middle class White folk and their children making way for the rich in time it will be the Latinos of El Monte
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or