U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2014, 04:45 PM

12,825 posts, read 19,275,714 times

Advertisements

Just how bad is this hood?

It seems Silver Lake is now completely out of control with prices, now that it is over run by Hipsters. But the funny thing is, although Silver Lake is very walkable, the Metro completely missed it. So it's not Metro friendly.

Meanwhile, obviously the area to the West of Hoover is a heck of a lot closer to the Metro. But the prices are almost too low, leading me to believe it still has that rough feel of yore.

Insights welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2014, 05:02 PM

187 posts, read 251,287 times
What specific area/streets. Sold a property near Hoover and Sunset that went significantly over asking.

Old 10-17-2014, 05:16 PM

7,091 posts, read 18,421,358 times
silver lake is very walkable? sure there are some areas that are walkable, but in general, i've found the area to be quite the opposite. also, i don't think mid wilshire is even close to the area in question.

Old 10-17-2014, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
silver lake is very walkable? sure there are some areas that are walkable, but in general, i've found the area to be quite the opposite. also, i don't think mid wilshire is even close to the area in question.
Certain realtors seems to "classify" stuff as far north as Santa Monica Blvd as "Mid-Wilshire." I have to admit, I am now taking that with a major grain of salt.

I am seeing some others that are (naturally) wanting to lump stuff W of Hoover in with Silver Lake, outright.

I also got brave and looked SW of the 101. That is definitely hit or miss from what I can see.

Irony - I once went for an interview at a tech firm that, at the time, was in the most unexpected place. It was where the Smart & Final is now, on Beverly. Back then (we're talking 25 years ago) it was definitely The Hood. There are still some real bargains on the SW side of Beverly.

Old 10-17-2014, 05:42 PM

367 posts, read 503,046 times
You mean by the Vermont/Santa Monica red line stop? That's East Hollywood, not Mid Wilshire.

It's mostly working class hispanics, asians, and gays... there's definitely above average crime but I wouldn't call it a wholly rough neighborhood. It depends on your sensibilities - if you can handle immigrant businesses, dive bars, gritty unkempt streets, and some crime, the positives will outweigh those factors. If you're looking for bougie precious silver lake at half the cost, you'll be disappointed.

Theres a hipster pocket at melrose and heliotrope and along virgil. Gentrification will continue as rents in echo park get more expensive.

Old 10-17-2014, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjt123 View Post
You mean by the Vermont/Santa Monica red line stop? That's East Hollywood, not Mid Wilshire.

It's mostly working class hispanics, asians, and gays... there's definitely above average crime but I wouldn't call it a wholly rough neighborhood. It depends on your sensibilities - if you can handle immigrant businesses, dive bars, gritty unkempt streets, and some crime, the positives will outweigh those factors. If you're looking for bougie precious silver lake at half the cost, you'll be disappointed.

Theres a hipster pocket at melrose and heliotrope and along virgil. Gentrification will continue as rents in echo park get more expensive.
No problem, I can do grit.

Old 10-17-2014, 07:16 PM

4,212 posts, read 6,365,171 times
Mid-Wilshire is the Miracle Mile area though a little extended to the south. It's north of Mid-City, west of Hancock Park and Koreatown, south of the Fiarfax District and east of Beverly Grove and Carthay.

I think the area you describe, as hjt said East Hollywood, is a great up and coming area. Rents are rapidly rising there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or