U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 08:42 PM

3,196 posts, read 2,356,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled la native View Post
This stereotype is true in the Westside. Everyone has Mercedes, BMW or prius, and there are pelnty of old trucks because of the Latino workers.
That's not true. I drive a Tesla...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2014, 10:53 PM

15,704 posts, read 34,739,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetLegal View Post
There is a bar in Rio de Janeiro of all places called "Bukowskis" which pays homage to the now deceased LA-based bohemian writer. Bukowski was very active in those early 80's years plying his craft on Skid Row and other downtrodden districts. Late 70's and early 80's Los Angeles played host to one of the most vibrant, organic and artistic music scenes ever. From the assault of the Germs and Black Flag to the sophistication of X to the soulful roots of Los Lobos. The most groundbreaking alternative record label of the 1980's (SST) was based in supposedly "surfer heavy" South Bay. That was not a vapid, shallow city. It was a screaming inferno of ideas, passion and creativity. Yes, some shallow parts of the mass culture at the time missed that boat...but it was deep and rewarding river for those who lived it.
The creativity and scenes out of L.A. is fantastic.

X, Black Flag, Germs, and such was great. But, then came Concrete Blonde, Jane's Addiction, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Guns-N-Roses, etc. I also liked the Swing Revival like Brain Seltzer Orchestra, and on and on.

Definitely some fantastic creative energy always coming out of L.A.!

Old 10-21-2014, 12:25 AM

10,097 posts, read 7,026,025 times
I honestly think it has a lot to do with what a previous poster said; east coast media. A lot of the higher up people in the media are from the east coast. Anyone I've ever met that was a top dog in the industry was from back east. Transplant writers from the Midwest and back east, come to LA and only live on the Westside and deal with other transplants who think that acting LA means being as yuppie as they act on tv.

Think about any movie or article you read about LA, especially written by a New Yorker.

No culture? Ok, do the big ethnic communities, Chicano history and the golden age of Hollywood not count? I think burbank is a slice of Americana I've never seen in Texas. We have the arts and a thriving live music scene.

No one walks? Do these people ever go past La Brea? There tons of people that walk.

No one is actually from LA? Really? Are they hanging out exclusively in the transplant yuppie epicenters on the west side? It's because most of the natives born and raised I've met have been largely Armenian, Persian, Mexican American or Asian. I guess these folk just don't count? Whole towns of natives born and raised for generations in LA, and only white transplants count as people in LA?

Everyone is fake and has an ulterior motive? Where do they get this? Are they only hanging around with wannabes in the industry?

What LA do they speak of outside of Brentwood, Pacific Palisades, WeHo and Beverly Hills?

Old 10-21-2014, 01:16 AM

25,419 posts, read 24,195,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
I honestly think it has a lot to do with what a previous poster said; east coast media. A lot of the higher up people in the media are from the east coast. Anyone I've ever met that was a top dog in the industry was from back east. Transplant writers from the Midwest and back east, come to LA and only live on the Westside and deal with other transplants who think that acting LA means being as yuppie as they act on tv.
Honestly, I think this is a reach. Where do you get your data (majority are transplant writers from the Midwest and the east, they only live on the West Side and so on)?

Also, even if they were initially transplants, they're actually now seeing actual L.A...right? So how could they still think that "acting L.A. means being as yuppie as they act on TV"? Surely they're not all holed up in their production rooms, they get out and about, no?

By the way, if it's all east coasters creating these silly sterotypes because they don't know the "real L.A." somehow, then how do you account for the many, many, many severely over-acted, ridiculous stereotypes of everyone from the northeast being either a Mafioso or Snookie? Surely, being from the east coast, they realize that such caricatures are (thank God) far fewer than portrayed, and when they do exist, they're nowhere near the sensationalized lengths that get people watching with their jaws hanging down?

Why on earth would northeasterners lampoon their own people?

The answer is easy...and it's the answer to all the media sterotypes you see. Normalcy, the way people commonly are, doesn't sell. Producers native to L.A. are just as apt to lampoon L.A. and create, and keep going, the L.A. sterotypes, and not only producers from one specific segment of L.A., either. Every see the movie L.A. Story? Guess where Steve Martin is from? As a tiny child, Texas...then was raised in Inglewood, then Garden Grove. He's only one example, but check out his many movies about and in/around L.A. and the amazingly cartoonish sterotypes he portrays. It's comedy - but it's supposed to be funny "because it's so true" as far as characterizations and the like. Yep, who's keeping these sterotypes alive again? The ones who want the viewers...whether they're from SoCal, NYC or Timbuktu.

Sure, he's only one example, but it would be interesting to know the names of these moguls you have met so we can look them up and learn more about them. I'd be interested to find out who wrote and produced Clueless, who wrote and produced Bev. Hills 90210, and about a bajillion other examples. If they're all east coast "transplants" I'll eat my hat.

But bottom line, I think it's pretty darned silly to be laying this larger problem (L.A. sterotypes) on east coasters. I mean...really? Show me the SoCal producer who won't throw L.A. under the bus for ratings and I'll show you someone who doesn't exist.

Sorry to a) be so passionate about this and b) drone on, but we "east coast transplants" get enough sh*t as it is. (And hello, the intimation that east coasters in L.A. are all ignorant sterotype-mongers who rush to Hollywood to claw our way to the top is a sterotype itself, I mean really?) SoCal natives are NOT innocent of dishing this out every bit as much as they're taking it. Honesty, if I have "ohhhhhh, you're from JOIIIIIIIIIIISEY?" giggled at me or get asked in wonder why I don't talk like Snookie or have mile-high hair or asked in a horrified/thrilled whisper whether I ever actually knew anyone in the Mafia or hear "Let's get cawwwwwwwwwwwwfee, oh I broke a huge naaaaaaaaail - is that a good version of the accent?" one more time, I might just barf.

Sterotypes are just as rampant among natives to SoCal against other regions as they are toward SoCal. It is what it is - if you know it's not true, then you do. You're definitely not going to compromise anyone's ratings by carefully instructing the media that it's wrong and bad to deliver sterotypes about L.A., trust me on that one. They want to keep eating, and they want to keep driving those awesome cars. So they'll keep the SoCal sterotypes going - just like they keep all sterotypes going. L.A. isn't the sole target and victim here, so relax.

Last edited by JerZ; 10-21-2014 at 01:48 AM..

Old 10-21-2014, 10:26 AM

4,212 posts, read 6,373,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MordinSolus View Post
That's not true. I drive a Tesla...
You've lived in LA like a year, I'm talking about long time residents who adapt to the culture

Old 10-21-2014, 10:29 AM

4,212 posts, read 6,373,895 times
Quote:
No one is actually from LA? Really? Are they hanging out exclusively in the transplant yuppie epicenters on the west side? It's because most of the natives born and raised I've met have been largely Armenian, Persian, Mexican American or Asian. I guess these folk just don't count? Whole towns of natives born and raised for generations in LA, and only white transplants count as people in LA?
This one annoys me. Transplants don't seem to count the non-white natives, who are the vast majority of LA's population.

Old 10-21-2014, 10:33 AM

1,519 posts, read 1,420,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Prospector View Post
Is it true that all Los Angelenos drive a BMW, Prius, or old truck with landscaping equipment hanging off the back?
I'm buying a white Prius when I move to California!

Old 10-21-2014, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled la native View Post
This one annoys me. Transplants don't seem to count the non-white natives, who are the vast majority of LA's population.
I do, and in fact my best friend's mixed-heritage family (Spanish, Mexican and interestingly, Japanese) goes farther back in SoCal than 3/4 of my family heritage goes back within the entire U.S., LOL.

My two best friends, and just recently (via our sons' school class) now a third person who looks like she's going to be a great friend, are all SoCal natives...one is full-on Anglo, the other two, at least part Mexican heritage. (I am a Heinz 57 with Eastern European and Scandinavian dominating, plus heritage from my mother's side originating in Madrid.)

Why are we arguing that "transplants" have sterotypes, by using sterotypes about what "transplants" all think and do?

I have lived here for nine years, have met many "transplants" like myself (many from the east coast) and have yet to have one of them say or even hint that they "don't count" non-white natives. We all have friends from various heritage. There are people of many heritages here so you'd have to be deliberately discounting huge amounts of people in order to purposely not make friends in that regard...again, which I have yet to see (personally and directly) any "transplant" do.

Really, if you're looking to change sterotyping...you may want to look within...? Sterotyping doesn't just get old for you.

Old 10-21-2014, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MItoBH View Post
I'm buying a white Prius when I move to California!
I've lived in SoCal for nine years and drive a cute old Cobalt whom I have named Baby...my husband was born and raised in SoCal and lived many years in Van Nuys and commutes to Beverly Hills in a Honda Fit, LOL. (It's brand-new and tricked-out, though...does that count?)

Old 10-21-2014, 02:28 PM

12,825 posts, read 19,295,109 times
Quote:

Think about any movie or article you read about LA, especially written by a New Yorker.

No culture? Ok, do the big ethnic communities, Chicano history and the golden age of Hollywood not count? I think burbank is a slice of Americana I've never seen in Texas. We have the arts and a thriving live music scene.

No one walks? Do these people ever go past La Brea? There tons of people that walk.

Everyone is fake and has an ulterior motive? Where do they get this? Are they only hanging around with wannabes in the industry?

What LA do they speak of outside of Brentwood, Pacific Palisades, WeHo and Beverly Hills?
It is also true that the last place you'd find a certain cadre is going for home style fried chicken with all the fixin's, and topping it off with fresh apple pie, in Bellflower. Or riding off road in Hungry Valley. So even native born "whites"* end up being dissed.

* "White" being a relative term, the DNA test tells all!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles