U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 09:49 AM

25,602 posts, read 24,299,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBR View Post
I assumed the stereotype was you all lived in your cars on the highway.
That's ridiculous!

We get out of our cars to attend gala Hollywood Premiers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2014, 12:05 PM

10,087 posts, read 12,622,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
I think if you step outside of L.A., ANYWHERE outside it, you'll see and hear the same buzz over and over again: NYC is where you go to get raped, mugged and/or killed, gangstas hang around waiting to pop a cap in you, and it's dirty and it smells, and pretty much anyone you meet in the entire northeast will have shared a table in school in the lunchroom with the son or daughter of a Mafioso as a child, i.e. the Mafia is everywhere you look, it's all one long running Sopranos episode or whatnot.
Not really, I think at this point people think of New York (Manhattan and gentrified Brooklyn in particular) as being pretty safe. Obviously people still know NYC has its share of bad areas, but its most popular areas do not have the same kind of reputation that they had in the 80s and 90s.

Old 10-31-2014, 12:50 PM

263 posts, read 592,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Prospector View Post
Is it true that all Los Angelenos drive a BMW, Prius, or old truck with landscaping equipment hanging off the back?
No, they drive Range Rovers LOL

Old 10-31-2014, 01:44 PM

24,371 posts, read 13,869,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Not really, I think at this point people think of New York (Manhattan and gentrified Brooklyn in particular) as being pretty safe. Obviously people still know NYC has its share of bad areas, but its most popular areas do not have the same kind of reputation that they had in the 80s and 90s.
Probably manhattan, but not sure how many people realize Brooklyn has changed.
Staten Island, Queens and the Bronx still have that dangerous/rough reputation for sure though.

Even if someone hasn't been to L.A or CA at all they probably have an idea of Beverly Hills or Santa Monica being nice/upscale and South Central/South L.A being dangerous/hood,etc .

Old 11-01-2014, 07:46 PM

6,212 posts, read 7,072,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Honestly, I think this is a reach. Where do you get your data (majority are transplant writers from the Midwest and the east, they only live on the West Side and so on)?

Also, even if they were initially transplants, they're actually now seeing actual L.A...right? So how could they still think that "acting L.A. means being as yuppie as they act on TV"? Surely they're not all holed up in their production rooms, they get out and about, no?

By the way, if it's all east coasters creating these silly sterotypes because they don't know the "real L.A." somehow, then how do you account for the many, many, many severely over-acted, ridiculous stereotypes of everyone from the northeast being either a Mafioso or Snookie? Surely, being from the east coast, they realize that such caricatures are (thank God) far fewer than portrayed, and when they do exist, they're nowhere near the sensationalized lengths that get people watching with their jaws hanging down?

Why on earth would northeasterners lampoon their own people?

The answer is easy...and it's the answer to all the media sterotypes you see. Normalcy, the way people commonly are, doesn't sell. Producers native to L.A. are just as apt to lampoon L.A. and create, and keep going, the L.A. sterotypes, and not only producers from one specific segment of L.A., either. Every see the movie L.A. Story? Guess where Steve Martin is from? As a tiny child, Texas...then was raised in Inglewood, then Garden Grove. He's only one example, but check out his many movies about and in/around L.A. and the amazingly cartoonish sterotypes he portrays. It's comedy - but it's supposed to be funny "because it's so true" as far as characterizations and the like. Yep, who's keeping these sterotypes alive again? The ones who want the viewers...whether they're from SoCal, NYC or Timbuktu.

Sure, he's only one example, but it would be interesting to know the names of these moguls you have met so we can look them up and learn more about them. I'd be interested to find out who wrote and produced Clueless, who wrote and produced Bev. Hills 90210, and about a bajillion other examples. If they're all east coast "transplants" I'll eat my hat.

But bottom line, I think it's pretty darned silly to be laying this larger problem (L.A. sterotypes) on east coasters. I mean...really? Show me the SoCal producer who won't throw L.A. under the bus for ratings and I'll show you someone who doesn't exist.

Sorry to a) be so passionate about this and b) drone on, but we "east coast transplants" get enough sh*t as it is. (And hello, the intimation that east coasters in L.A. are all ignorant sterotype-mongers who rush to Hollywood to claw our way to the top is a sterotype itself, I mean really?) SoCal natives are NOT innocent of dishing this out every bit as much as they're taking it. Honesty, if I have "ohhhhhh, you're from JOIIIIIIIIIIISEY?" giggled at me or get asked in wonder why I don't talk like Snookie or have mile-high hair or asked in a horrified/thrilled whisper whether I ever actually knew anyone in the Mafia or hear "Let's get cawwwwwwwwwwwwfee, oh I broke a huge naaaaaaaaail - is that a good version of the accent?" one more time, I might just barf.

Sterotypes are just as rampant among natives to SoCal against other regions as they are toward SoCal. It is what it is - if you know it's not true, then you do. You're definitely not going to compromise anyone's ratings by carefully instructing the media that it's wrong and bad to deliver sterotypes about L.A., trust me on that one. They want to keep eating, and they want to keep driving those awesome cars. So they'll keep the SoCal sterotypes going - just like they keep all sterotypes going. L.A. isn't the sole target and victim here, so relax.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=barWV7RWkq0

Old 11-01-2014, 07:53 PM

6,212 posts, read 7,072,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
I think that is sad that your cousin didn't appreciate L.A too much.

Not everyone has an appreciation for history.

The cool thing about L.A history is that you mostly have to discover it on your own.

A city like NYC..everyone pretty much knows the history that happened there even if they haven't been there.

For example today I went to Lacy Park in San Marino which is an amazing park, and I saw a memorial to General Patton.
It turns out that the famous General was born in San Gabriel ,CA and his father was the first mayor of San Marino
George S. Patton - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Pretty much everyone has heard of Patton...or at least those with a basic knowledge of WW2 or American history...but I though the L.A connection was interesting (so maybe it's not city of L.A..but still L.A county!)

A lot of stereotypes stick because people don't generally have time to travel that much to actually SEE how people live..and if they do it's usually a short stint in a place like your cousin experienced.

Most people simply aren't going to spend the time to either travel to a place and experience the culture...or actually do some real research on a region .

I think the stereotype of Angelenos being health conscious is still pretty strong..but people in L.A probably are more health conscious than a bunch of other places.

It's become pretty standard to see vegan items on menus in L.A , but for example in South Florida it's not that common.

Regarding materialism ...just because people might live in old fallling apart apartment buildings it doesn't stop them from having the latest and greatest in German engineering.

Especially among certain groups (yeah a stereotype!) it's common to see people living at home with a BMW or Benz in the driveway because they have the "disposable income" .

In terms of food, I think the "L.A ain't got no good pizza" stereotype is old..especially the past few years L.A has undergone a pizza renaissance of sorts.

The everywhere in L.A takes 20 minutes needs to be updated
From Clueless
"Mel: I expect you to walk through this door in twenty minutes.
Cher: It might take longer than that Dad.
Mel: Everywhere in L.A takes twenty minutes."
Good post, especially the part with Patton.

Old 11-01-2014, 08:07 PM

10,097 posts, read 7,069,354 times
The new money cities like Vegas, Houston, Charlotte, Austin, Atlanta, etc, that experienced big booms are brand spanking new with shiny buildings, modern development and what not. So "nice" to people who live there is usually gonna mean new, not vintage many could care less about the history of a building.

My cousin, her friends and pretty much a lot of the people I grew up with in new moneyed Houston consider places we love like Los Feliz nice, but not what they grew up thinking as "the place to live". Many would prefer the OC or San Diego if they had to choose Southern California.

Old 11-01-2014, 09:43 PM

1,774 posts, read 1,741,587 times
Don't know about those other places but Atlanta is not really nice, shiny buildings. The downtown is actually a real dump and a lot of the "new shiny" buildings are 80s and 90s vintage now. There are a lot of run down, grimy, old, sketchy looking parts, even out in the burbs. The main differences are that its very green because it's in a forest, and it is CHEAP. A lot of $50K salaries with $50K cars because their condo payment is less than the car payment.

And related to Atlanta... the main thing I don't see stereotyped in LA that maybe should be... LA is really paved over, it is a concrete jungle. There is just cement everywhere. Whereas like in a place like Atlanta there is green everywhere, empty lots turn into jungles almost, tree roots busting up roads and sidewalks. It almost feels country in some parts. But LA is more like a big sea of cement.

Old 11-02-2014, 12:30 AM

10,097 posts, read 7,069,354 times
Never noticed that but you're right. LA is a concrete jungle. Only the parks are green.

Old 11-02-2014, 01:11 AM

10,087 posts, read 12,622,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzzz View Post
Don't know about those other places but Atlanta is not really nice, shiny buildings. The downtown is actually a real dump and a lot of the "new shiny" buildings are 80s and 90s vintage now. There are a lot of run down, grimy, old, sketchy looking parts, even out in the burbs. The main differences are that its very green because it's in a forest, and it is CHEAP. A lot of $50K salaries with $50K cars because their condo payment is less than the car payment.

And related to Atlanta... the main thing I don't see stereotyped in LA that maybe should be... LA is really paved over, it is a concrete jungle. There is just cement everywhere. Whereas like in a place like Atlanta there is green everywhere, empty lots turn into jungles almost, tree roots busting up roads and sidewalks. It almost feels country in some parts. But LA is more like a big sea of cement.
My wife says that when she thinks of LA, she thinks of "hot concrete".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles