U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2014, 01:35 AM

3,196 posts, read 2,368,184 times

Advertisements

At least it's not "smelly, hot concrete" like New York and Chicago. Those cities stink like old urine when it gets hot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2014, 12:23 PM

5,807 posts, read 10,384,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
OK, someone needs to update the stereotypes of Los Angeles because we are getting a bad rap for no good reason. The whole vapid Valley girls with no discernable skills and materialistic to the core is a long gone stereotype of the 80s and 90s. I came to an LA that was greatly humbled by the violence of the 90s, the earth shattering financial crises and the lack of stable employment. The people I've met, who aren't pursuing a career in the industry, have been some of the most genuine humble people I've ever met. I've learned to love and live life and toss out old conventions I grew up with, so I get tired of the old stereotypes.

Another thing that made me think that LA's stereotypes are outdated is my younger cousin visited me last weekend and reminded me of the world's apart difference between LA and Houston. My cousin is a prime example of the new Houston young professional. I mean everything in LA was old to her, she couldn't see the beauty is some of the vintage neighborhoods like Los Feliz, her Hilton Hotel was too old, and if it wasn't a nice shiny new mixed use development town center kinda thing, it just didn't suit her tastes. She was preoccupied with keeping up with the Joneses, and has plans to get married and not work. Everything eclectic was "weird", and every guy that even approached her to say anything (not hit on her) was a "creeper". When I asked her what her overall opinion of LA was, she said it was great but dirty, i.e. a place to visit but not live in. So she will return to Texas to her McMansion in a master planned community with a fake lake and an entrance that looks like a theme park. She will shop at the latest "Town Centre" and continue to keep up with the Joneses. That's the new monied young professional life in Houston.

The point is, I know that not everyone in Texas is like that and that we have our share of this in the outter burbs and the OC, but it's unfair that we get labeled as being too whatever while places that have seen enormous booms are producing an even worse case of materialism. Combined with the traditionalism of marriage and children, it's an unwelcome mix of gaudy burb excess.

So why hasn't the media kept up with the New LA? Sure LA can still be a bit insular and a bit image conscious, but the positives far outweigh some of the lingering negatives.
Hmm . . . not to go off on a tangent from the point of this (which I fully understand, I have no interest in people like this), but I was thinking? . . . If she wants to get married . . . not sure how shes going to get there if every guy is a creeper. Is she expecting an arranged marriage Lol?

Old 11-02-2014, 12:46 PM

10,097 posts, read 7,064,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
Hmm . . . not to go off on a tangent from the point of this (which I fully understand, I have no interest in people like this), but I was thinking? . . . If she wants to get married . . . not sure how shes going to get there if every guy is a creeper. Is she expecting an arranged marriage Lol?
She has a boyfriend but she's super picky. Typical girl that really shouldn't be but is because of elevated expectations of the opposite sex. Happens with men too.

Old 11-02-2014, 05:19 PM

24,371 posts, read 13,854,446 times
Who said these girls were logical? lol

How many say they want the "bad boy" with a sweet side? Doesn't make sense .

Old 11-04-2014, 04:56 PM

1,250 posts, read 1,087,451 times
NYC controls the media, not LA.

Old 11-06-2014, 09:22 PM

I just found out that I fall into one of the modern LA stereotypes. I overheard this today:

"All these LA-types skip breakfast and just have smoothies or juices. They never go out for breakfast. They just have brunch on weekends.

Old 11-06-2014, 11:37 PM

405 posts, read 410,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
So why hasn't the media kept up with the New LA? Sure LA can still be a bit insular and a bit image conscious, but the positives far outweigh some of the lingering negatives.
Maybe because the negatives don't in fact outweigh the positives. You dismiss the fact that she has a McMansion like you know people in LA could have one if they wanted one but they choose not to as opposed to acknowledging that buying a home in LA is going to cost you 450k AT MINIMUM for something even borderline decent. That alone skews things heavily. If someone can't even to afford to buy a home there then who gives a crap about the 'positives'. Can't buy a house, but I get all the traffic I want for free? Pfffft.

New LA ain't that much different from Old LA, just another face lift from the land of face lifts.

Old 11-06-2014, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MordinSolus View Post
I just found out that I fall into one of the modern LA stereotypes. I overheard this today:

"All these LA-types skip breakfast and just have smoothies or juices. They never go out for breakfast. They just have brunch on weekends.
True. LA is pretty sucky when it comes to good breakfast joints. There are some here and there but it's definitely not that easy to come by IMO. When I did go out for breakfast...it's for brunch on the weekends.

Old 11-06-2014, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MordinSolus View Post
At least it's not "smelly, hot concrete" like New York and Chicago. Those cities stink like old urine when it gets hot.
Admittedly that is saying something considering LA is pretty much the dumping ground for the homeless/mentally ill from across the country. Yay, LA.

Old 11-06-2014, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wushuliu View Post
Maybe because the negatives don't in fact outweigh the positives. You dismiss the fact that she has a McMansion like you know people in LA could have one if they wanted one but they choose not to as opposed to acknowledging that buying a home in LA is going to cost you 450k AT MINIMUM for something even borderline decent. That alone skews things heavily. If someone can't even to afford to buy a home there then who gives a crap about the 'positives'. Can't buy a house, but I get all the traffic I want for free? Pfffft.

New LA ain't that much different from Old LA, just another face lift from the land of face lifts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wushuliu View Post
Admittedly that is saying something considering LA is pretty much the dumping ground for the homeless/mentally ill from across the country. Yay, LA.
Looks like someone needs some attention. How ya doin', fella? Things not going your way?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles