U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2014, 12:28 AM

405 posts, read 408,993 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MordinSolus View Post
You're a troll if you're actually positing that expensive real estate is reason enough to write off Los Angeles.
[/i].
Please indicate where I said real estate is reason enough 'to write off Los Angeles'.

I am quite used to Minneapolis winters. They're tough, but there's something to be said for experiencing the four seasons again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2014, 12:32 AM

1,235 posts, read 1,271,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wushuliu View Post
Nope I said that the fact that most people cannot afford to buy a home is a major factor that can't be easily dismissed. Not a defining criteria for you maybe but for most people it is. And yes ditto for those cities. Does that make it less important of an issue?
In this post below, you stated the "negatives" outweigh the positives and you proceeded to go on and on about affording a house, etc. Not quite the more balanced approach you took above.

Quote:
Maybe because the negatives don't in fact outweigh the positives. You dismiss the fact that she has a McMansion like you know people in LA could have one if they wanted one but they choose not to as opposed to acknowledging that buying a home in LA is going to cost you 450k AT MINIMUM for something even borderline decent. That alone skews things heavily. If someone can't even to afford to buy a home there then who gives a crap about the 'positives'. Can't buy a house, but I get all the traffic I want for free? Pfffft.
I think the sticker shock does hit people from other "cheaper" areas pretty hard. That I can understand. Having grown up here and lived in other high cost areas (like NYC) it is not such a shock to me. Some people come expecting a Beach Boys paradise with 1960's affordability. It never was the former and the 1960's prices are long gone.

Old 11-07-2014, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetLegal View Post
Seems as if LA is like that girlfriend you could never get over....you are venting your rage months after the break up.
Definitely some of that. It's the relationship that you had to go through to learn more about yourself. The relationship that on the one hand you can't avoid if you want to grow, but on the other hand ends up being kind of painful.

To be fair though I was b*tching about LA here before I left too.

Old 11-07-2014, 12:41 AM

Quote:

I am quite used to Minneapolis winters. They're tough, but there's something to be said for experiencing the four seasons again.
To each their own. I did a stint in NYC in my 20's. The winters I could handle but it was the humid, horrible summers I hated the most. That said, I would never again live in a cold climate. The Four Seasons? No thanks. I think part of it is what each person is used to and/or has preference for.

Old 11-07-2014, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetLegal View Post
In this post below, you stated the "negatives" outweigh the positives and you proceeded to go on and on about affording a house, etc. Not quite the more balanced approach you took above.

I think the sticker shock does hit people from other "cheaper" areas pretty hard. That I can understand. Having grown up here and lived in other high cost areas (like NYC) it is not such a shock to me. Some people come expecting a Beach Boys paradise with 1960's affordability. It never was the former and the 1960's prices are long gone.
Well I was replying specifically to another poster.

I'm from the NJ/NYC area so I was expecting higher cost of living but not THIS high. But this isn't about the 60s. This is within the last 10-15 years and as you mentioned is happening in other major metros. There's a threshold that's been crossed where the possibility of having a place of your own in these cities is no longer attainable for most folks. I'm not talking golly gee whiz it shure is awful pricey out har, I'm talking okay well how okay is it to you to be a permanent renter for the rest of your life? That's a big question. You want to be 60, 70, 80 years old in LA and renting? That's the perspective I'm coming from.

Old 11-07-2014, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Well I was replying specifically to another poster.

I'm from the NJ/NYC area so I was expecting higher cost of living but not THIS high. But this isn't about the 60s. This is within the last 10-15 years and as you mentioned is happening in other major metros. There's a threshold that's been crossed where the possibility of having a place of your own in these cities is no longer attainable for most folks. I'm not talking golly gee whiz it shure is awful pricey out har, I'm talking okay well how okay is it to you to be a permanent renter for the rest of your life? That's a big question. You want to be 60, 70, 80 years old in LA and renting? That's the perspective I'm coming from.
I am not a renter so that is not an issue for me. But sounds like it is for you. Sorry you got priced out. Good luck.

Old 11-07-2014, 11:21 PM

1,774 posts, read 1,734,485 times
Everyone becomes a renter again if they get old enough, unless they own the nursing home.

Old 11-08-2014, 05:06 AM

2,436 posts, read 1,979,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MordinSolus View Post
I just found out that I fall into one of the modern LA stereotypes. I overheard this today:

"All these LA-types skip breakfast and just have smoothies or juices. They never go out for breakfast. They just have brunch on weekends.
Yep, looks like I fall into that category as well.

Old 11-08-2014, 07:27 AM

13,941 posts, read 13,588,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
The whole vapid Valley girls with no discernable skills and materialistic to the core is a long gone stereotype of the 80s and 90s.
Still funny, though. (How did we survive the 80s?)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qb21lsCQ3EM

Old 11-08-2014, 01:49 PM

3,196 posts, read 2,357,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theraven24 View Post
Yep, looks like I fall into that category as well.
I didn't even think about how my breakfast habits had changed until I heard someone say that. It must be something in the water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles