U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2014, 04:03 PM

9 posts, read 12,827 times

Advertisements

I've always heard that LA is relatively a "safe" city. But I also heard about the gangs and drugs. So I'm a little bias. I'd like to know from you guys living in Los Angeles for a long time, what's LA really like?
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2014, 04:41 PM

1,238 posts, read 1,328,768 times
LA life is like living in any other major city. Yes there are sketch neighborhoods you don't walk around in at 1am. And yes there are sketch people everywhere. Common sense should afford you a good sense of what is safe and what isn't safe if you were to move here. No, gang members aren't walking up and down Santa Monica boulevard selling drugs and holding people at gunpoint. I doubt you'll even be able to recognize a gang member. You're more likely to experience a traffic accident, get badgered by a homeless person, or have some rapper yell at you to buy their CD on Hollywood than be bothered with gangs and drugs. Google some recent crime reports and focus a little less on the 90's gangsta rap.

Old 10-21-2014, 06:48 PM

913 posts, read 980,215 times
As long as you dont live in the ghetto or go into the ghetto to get your drugs, you will have little or no encounter with gangs. Usually gang violence is directed towards other gangs, or some unfortunate soul mistaken as a gang memeber

Old 10-21-2014, 09:14 PM

11,406 posts, read 13,950,805 times
It's similar to most any other major city, in this regard. There are great safe areas (Brentwood, Pacific Palisades, Woodland Hills, etc) and "no so safe" areas (South Central LA, Watts, etc).

Old 10-22-2014, 11:51 AM

1,826 posts, read 1,152,101 times
yeah it really depends

Old 10-23-2014, 12:13 AM

24,147 posts, read 13,668,407 times
I agree with others that it depends.

The most expensive areas are generally safer. Although there are some exceptions , as West Hollywood is expensive but has relatively high crime. Of course it attracts people from all over because of the nightlife -clubs,bars,etc.

If you are renting there sometimes isn't a big gap between the safer/nicer areas versus the higher crime areas.

L.A has a lot of older housing stock so as long as you don't live in a newer building the costs are a lot lower.

I was renting in Hollywood in an older building ...and the newer building across the street had similar units rents for about TWICE as much.

I think this is where a lot of people from out of town get 'ripped off' in a way.

When you are looking at buying, prices are quite a bit different ...but it's still not cheap to buy a 'normal' (3bed/2ba) house in what many consider "bad areas" of L.A

For example take a look at Panorama City which has a pretty bad reputation and homes are going for $400,000 or more..

Regarding gangs and drugs , the vast majority of people aren't affected by this if they aren't involved with gangs and drugs.

I remember hearing a lot of stories about gang members randomly killing people for initiation, but i'm pretty sure they were all urban legends.

From what i've heard L.A is 'safer' now especially in terms of violent crime compared to the 1990s , the time of L.A Riots and the beginning of gangster rap and the time all the L.A gang movies came out , like Boyz in the Hood,etc.

That movie was filmed in 1990.... 24 YEARS AGO.. a lot can change in that many years..

L.A definately is a city of large contrasts. It still amazes me that you could have areas like Pacoima, Panorama City, South L.A, Skid Row and then places like Brentwood,West LA ,Bel Air, all in the same city.

This can help to give you an idea of crime for certain areas
L.A. Crime Maps - Mapping L.A. - Los Angeles Times

Old 10-23-2014, 12:21 AM

221 posts, read 277,775 times
LA is too big to generalize. Totally depends on the neighborhood, and in some neighborhoods, the street/block.

Old 10-24-2014, 08:19 AM

30,316 posts, read 31,181,855 times
As already said, L.A. is like any other big city meaning there are safe areas and less safe areas.

Old 10-24-2014, 08:44 AM

3,433 posts, read 2,136,474 times
Watch out for loose marauding Pit Bulls.

Old 10-24-2014, 10:00 AM

8,401 posts, read 9,546,743 times
People will let you know which areas to avoid. Then its just a normal amount of crime, nothing most aren't already use to. No worries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles