Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2014, 08:34 PM

671 posts, read 1,189,851 times

Advertisements

Since this occurred at LAC+USC, it is part of the LA County Department of Health Services County owned hospitals. Therefore, there are low cost or NO COST ways to handle that bill. You MUST go to LAC+USC and be directed to the financial services or in some way say that you are trying to handle the bill given to you, which I think is by the Pharmacy. It may be a LONG wait, but if you can get most or ALL of even be offered a low monthly payment of say $40, than it is worth it.

They will take a look at your income and come to some formulated figure and terms.

You can also try going to any of the LA County Regional Health Clinics such as Roybal Comprehensive Health Center and ask there because it is not nearly as large or confusing a place.

However, if you have waited beyond the deadline to apply for low cost or NO COST solutions to that bill, you may have blown it and it may go to collections vary fast. I know they usually GIVE you a bill at ER if you can't pay, rather than mail it to you.

Look, get yourself down to LAC+USC (take a day off of work) and start at the Info desk and tell them you want to know the financial alternatives to paying the entire bill. You will be directed where to go, but you being NOT BEING IN the LA County DHS system, will probably cause long waits, but you will be told what options are or if you have blown it. Do this ASAP.

Further, as a parent, you had better do your research for quite possibly the NEXT time you son (or other children) are sent to LAC+USC or a hospital OUT of your network because LAC+USC is the ONLY LEVEL ONE trauma center serving from southeast LA County to the Northeast neighborhoods and central Los Angeles. LA County has other level one trauma centers, but they serve other portions of LA County. Also, Cedars-Sainai and Regan UCLA, while also level trauma ones, are closed to transfer. Anyway, you need to figure out if your insurance covers out of network stay such as emergency until the kid is transferred to an IN network facility.

Also, in the future, at least ONE parent should be at the kid's football game or he should NOT be playing because we all know how dangerous football is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2014, 10:14 PM

362 posts, read 543,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryKerryJr View Post
Also, in the future, at least ONE parent should be at the kid's football game or he should NOT be playing because we all know how dangerous football is.
For sure! In fact, I told my husband exactly the same thing. From now on, at least one of us attends each game.

Update: My husband found his 2014 Open Enrollment Guide Supplement for California Employees from his employer. Check out this little blurb: " **EPO-Out of network available for emergency care (ER & ambulance), and paid at in-network benefit level."

This means that despite what the clerks at our health insurance's member customer service number told us, our son's ER care is covered. We have it in writing.

The ambulance charge came to $1,314.94 and the emergency room visit came to $1,995 for total of $3,309. I'm not sure what the negotiated rate will be, but presuming there is none, our maximum out of pocket would be $2,750. It's not much of a savings, but I'd rather $2,750 than $3,309. Whew, what a relief it is to know that this type of care is covered!

Once again, thank you to everyone for your input. This has definitely been the most pleasant and useful experience I've ever had on the C-D forum

Last edited by Voyageuse; 10-27-2014 at 10:24 PM..

Old 10-29-2014, 09:57 AM

1,196 posts, read 1,804,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jw2 View Post
How about contacting the high school and see if their insurance will pay?
I figured that insurance would be required by the schools for school sports-related injuries?

Old 10-30-2014, 01:56 AM

Also consider an HMO for your insurance because the HMO's take care of all the bloody details of arranging to move one from an out of network hospital to an in network facility. Also, if you need/get a referral with an HMO, it is always within their network, and you don't have to hunt down a doctor who takes your PPO. The HMO service model is why I selected an HMO, with all it disadvantages, but there are some really good HMO's out there. With PPO, you are all on your own, and having the PPO kind of complicated things for you. You can investigate HMO options at work, if you wish.

Old 10-30-2014, 02:00 AM

Wow. I didn't know you were fortunate to have Cal Employees plans coverage. They are usually quite good. If I had know that, I would have asked you to ask again. Glad to see it is covered. However you may want to consider Kaiser as your HMO. I know it is offered (at least it used to be) to Cal employees and Kaiser is highly rated and those I know who have Kaiser LOVE it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles