Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2014, 04:51 PM

1 posts, read 599 times

Advertisements

Okay, so I have an offer I love in LA, an area I've always wanted to spend time in. Problem is, I don't know what to look for in a place to live, or where to look. The specifics are:

My take home would be around $22-2400/month from mid-May to late August between Spring and Fall semesters 2015. The office I will work out of is on Spring Street, a block or so west of the river downtown. I don't plan on bringing a car. So, my questions are:

What are good spots in the area to live? I know it's a major city, so "safe" is kind of a misnomer, but I'd like as good an intersection of decent area and affordable rent as I can get. Suggestions I've heard so far are around USC, maybe Koreatown, and South Pasadena (Gold Line goes right through and comes out like two blocks from work).

When should I expect to start looking at subleases? I'm assuming that's the best option for living there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2014, 05:04 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,197,011 times
subleasing is not common in LA. you'll need to find a short term rental, which are very expensive and hard to find. in fact, it may eat up your entire income. make sure you have some savings if you want to have any extra cash to play around with.

Old 10-24-2014, 04:43 PM

30 posts, read 27,672 times
If your workplace is on Spring Street, a block west of the river downtown, then you will be working near Chinatown, which is just north of Downtown. In terms of neighborhoods, Chinatown and Downtown are in easy biking and public transit distance. USC and South Pasadena are also possibilities if you want to use public transit, but the commute will be longer (20-40 minutes.) The challenge will be finding a place on your budget. A summer sublet may be possible, since some of the USC students are gone, but most likely you will need to look at a roommate situation regardless of the neighborhood.

Old 10-25-2014, 07:22 AM

672 posts, read 2,175,523 times
Your best option is to rent a room or to share an apartment, since short term sub leases are rare. Craigslist is an okay place to look for short term rent or rooms for rent.

Old 10-25-2014, 11:45 AM

822 posts, read 1,284,512 times
For a 3 month stay, and given the location, and the fact you are a student here on short duration, I would say your best option is to target housing around USC. Very few landlords will rent to you given your specifics -- unless they are able to get a very high premium rental payment from you -- except for those who normally rent to students looking for someone to occupy their unit during the summer lull. Plus, you have no furniture. If you rent what is normally student housing you will have some furniture. Look for shares as well though any aspect of your search is premature at this point given the school calendar. USC goes on summer break at the beginning of may so you can look during the Spring. I'm sure you will find proper housing in that area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles