U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 10-24-2014, 12:22 AM
 
4 posts, read 3,948 times
Reputation: 16

Advertisements

This is pretty hard for me to do, so I'm just gonna come out and say it...I'm bike curious.

Ahh what a relief!

I saw this dude riding his classic Harley with a maroon teardrop gas tank down Sunset in Beverly Hills the other day and I'm thinking about getting a bike to cruise around the hills, anywhere from Mullholland to Malibu Canyon, Encinal Canyon, and through the hills from the valley to Ojai. Anyone else do this? Some tips would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-24-2014, 12:37 AM
 
Location: West Hollywood
3,196 posts, read 2,356,546 times
Reputation: 5262
I would be too scared to ride a motorcycle in the hills. It can get pretty dicey in a car with the one-lane streets and steep slopes so a motorcycle might be problematic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-24-2014, 02:52 AM
 
Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 8,400,427 times
Reputation: 8873
Quote:
Originally Posted by MordinSolus View Post
I would be too scared to ride a motorcycle in the hills. It can get pretty dicey in a car with the one-lane streets and steep slopes so a motorcycle might be problematic.
Not with the right motorcycle. I ride through the twisty windy mountains of Northern CA and it is a blast!

A cruiser would be no fun in the twisty windy mountains but a sport touring bike is perfect for it.

Here is my White Stallion

Bicurious-dsc_0122.jpg

Last edited by TVC15; 10-24-2014 at 03:01 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-24-2014, 08:08 PM
 
Location: Southern California
968 posts, read 1,015,155 times
Reputation: 2305
Quote:
Originally Posted by atwain View Post
This is pretty hard for me to do, so I'm just gonna come out and say it...I'm bike curious.

Ahh what a relief!

I saw this dude riding his classic Harley with a maroon teardrop gas tank down Sunset in Beverly Hills the other day and I'm thinking about getting a bike to cruise around the hills, anywhere from Mullholland to Malibu Canyon, Encinal Canyon, and through the hills from the valley to Ojai. Anyone else do this? Some tips would be appreciated.
In my younger days I did this many many times. Now I can't due to age and health reasons. I say go for it while you are able to do so. Just make sure you learn to ride before going out and buying a large motorcycle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-25-2014, 03:23 PM
 
392 posts, read 1,682,654 times
Reputation: 278
I have three bikes and ride everyday, everywhere.
If you think you want to ride (I am guessing you never have) take the MSF course and see if you even like it first.
If you decide you like riding go find a smaller, less expensive used bike and have a go at it. Used bikes aren't hard to buy and sell and once you have some experience you'll have a better idea what style of bike is for you.
As TVC said Harleys aren't the best if you want to ride twisty mountain roads. I hate getting stuck behind them
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-25-2014, 04:57 PM
 
Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 8,400,427 times
Reputation: 8873
Quote:
Originally Posted by stock66 View Post

As TVC said Harleys aren't the best if you want to ride twisty mountain roads. I hate getting stuck behind them


My partner just went out and bought a brand new 2014 FJR. He also rides an FZ8. He had a black FJR several years ago and sold it for a more nimble bike. (You can see the front of his old FJR in my above thumbnail....(yes the big FJR can handle the twisty windy mountain roads as well ) However he has longed for his FJR and now he can be happy with this new one and still keep his nimble FZ8

Bicurious-img.jpg


I encourage anyone who really has an itching desire to own a bike to at least learn how to ride a motorcycle to first. Take a certified motorcycle training course before running out and purchasing on an impulse buy without knowing what you are really getting yourself into.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-25-2014, 05:04 PM
 
Location: La La Land
1,514 posts, read 1,897,485 times
Reputation: 2463
Quote:
Originally Posted by MordinSolus View Post
I would be too scared to ride a motorcycle in the hills. It can get pretty dicey in a car with the one-lane streets and steep slopes so a motorcycle might be problematic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post
Not with the right motorcycle. I ride through the twisty windy mountains of Northern CA and it is a blast!

A cruiser would be no fun in the twisty windy mountains but a sport touring bike is perfect for it.

Here is my White Stallion

Attachment 138167
I think the issue here is the fact that you are on tight roads that are essentially one lane, many curves creating numerous blind spots and car and SUV drivers that take a lot for granted.

I have driven the Hollywood Hills with a large SUV (Infinity QX56), small SUV (RAV4), sedan (Buick Lacrosse) and a sports car (Mustang GT5.0). I drove extremely carefully as I didn't always own the car and had many close calls with other drivers coming in the opposite direction without really paying attention and one fool that actually tried to pass me.

Let's not forget the dog walkers, joggers and walkers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-25-2014, 08:23 PM
 
Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 8,400,427 times
Reputation: 8873
Quote:
Originally Posted by quixotic59 View Post
I think the issue here is the fact that you are on tight roads that are essentially one lane, many curves creating numerous blind spots and car and SUV drivers that take a lot for granted.

Let's not forget the dog walkers, joggers and walkers.
This is exactly the type of mountain roads we have here in Northern CA. Single lane twisty roads...the perfect setting for non cruiser motorcycles. We also have the dog walkers, joggers and walkers but worst of all the bicyclists who take their chances in these mountains and there are deaths associated with this unnecessary risk each year.

I also ride a bicycle but you would never find me bicycling up in a single lane tight twisty mountain...that just defies logic IMO. Why put yourself at risk from getting hit by a car or a motorcyclist?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top