Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2014, 11:31 AM

362 posts, read 542,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatAngMoh View Post
You are not a welfare agency. The guy can find replacemet housing easily. If he's on month to month tell the seller the sale is contingent on him leaving before the sale so she does the dirty work as she knows him best. His children are responsible for his welfare not you. When you do this you are subsidizing his children's lifestyle.
I agree. It may sound harsh, but that's the risk you take when you rent.

My mother recently dealt with this in Alhambra. By law, she was only required to give the tenant 30 days' notice to vacate. The reason she gave for the eviction was that she wanted to make capital improvements.

The tenant had been living in the apartment for <20 years, but she was a hoarder. My mother couldn't deal with it anymore. Like you, she wanted to fix the apartment and update it. My mother has been land lording for <40 years, and does everything with legal counsel.

Laws vary by location, so be sure to seek legal advice. As others have suggested, I would make the offer of the duplex contingent upon the tenant's eviction. Save yourself the headache and get him out before you close escrow. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2014, 11:46 AM

8,452 posts, read 14,998,391 times
Quote:
The guy can find replacemet housing easily. His children are responsible for his welfare not you. When you do this you are subsidizing his children's lifestyle.
How do you know if he has children?

And cheap housing in the Pasadena area? You're dreaming. And callous.

Old 10-26-2014, 01:52 PM

822 posts, read 1,281,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
How do you know if he has children?

And cheap housing in the Pasadena area? You're dreaming. And callous.
He may or may not. I assume he does. Regardless, why is the buyer obligated to house the man? Why don't you take him in then? Don't suggest someone else do something you would not do. For all practical purposes its ridiculous for the man to feel he is entitled to live there. For years, he got a discount on the rent already. I have a landlord friend who was generous but after decades of renting to the tenant at that rate, they trashed his place before moving and then use the savings to buy a house.

Old 10-26-2014, 04:23 PM

221 posts, read 346,976 times
Thanks for all the advice. We decided to put in an offer contingent on it being delivered with both units vacant. That may mean our offer isn't considered, but it is what it is. After looking at it, it could cost us a total of $7000 cash if the tenant would not leave promptly. Plus legal fees. Too risky.

Old 10-26-2014, 04:25 PM

Good for you. Just remember it's a business. If you want to do something philanthropic you can give money directly to a charity and let them do the allocation.

Old 10-26-2014, 06:28 PM

26,659 posts, read 26,633,915 times
Quote:
You are not a welfare agency. The guy can find replacemet housing easily. His children are responsible for his welfare not you. When you do this you are subsidizing his children's lifestyle.
Your post is, frankly, unbelievable....especially in light of all your other posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
How do you know if he has children? And cheap housing in the Pasadena area? You're dreaming. And callous.
Couldn't agree more.

Old 10-26-2014, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Your post is, frankly, unbelievable....especially in light of all your other posts.

Couldn't agree more.

The potential landlord would be subsidizing the difference between his current and market rent. If the man could not afford such rent, his children could pay for it. But instead you say its unbelievable that the landlord should feel bad about not subsidizing it. What if you were the landlord in such a situation and you noticed the tenants kids pulling up to visit the tenant in a MBZ? Have you ever run a business? If you want to be philanthropic you donate money to charities and let them do the allocation. You are unbelievable believing someone should subsidize a strangers lifestyle. The renters welfare mentality is sickening.

Old 10-27-2014, 06:58 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,523,745 times
BeatAngMoh, your attitude is not surprising, given the number of people without compassion and heart in this country these days. However, it's still sad.

What if this man doesn't have children, or what if they have their own issues and can't step in to help him?

There must be other properties for sale that wouldn't involve kicking an elderly man out of his home. I'm grateful that many cities in California have laws that protect tenants in rent controlled units, so that people like you can't just boot them out on the street so you can make an extra $500/month or whatever.

Old 10-27-2014, 08:37 AM

26,659 posts, read 26,633,915 times
Quote:
If the man could not afford such rent, his children could pay for it.
Read the above poster's response to yours. How do you know he has children? (And somehow, you'll avoid being old someday.)

Quote:
You are unbelievable believing someone should subsidize a strangers lifestyle.
"Subsidize a stranger's lifestyle"? Keep extrapolating...

Old 10-27-2014, 08:47 AM

221 posts, read 346,976 times
I will emphasize that in some cases, for at least some of us, it isn't that we don't care. As a middle class person, I can't afford a duplex where the tenant is only paying a third of market rent. Not putting in an offer doesn't solve the problem because there are always investors willing to snap up properties and toss people out of them.

The seller ultimately is the one who is making gobs of cash on the deal, and it only works out for me if the rent pays enough that I can make the mortgage and maintain the property consistently. Otherwise, it is precarious and slummy for me and my tenant. Like currently, where the guy's unit needed work on the roof, plumbing, and disgusting bathroom yesterday.

I agree we need better social safety nets but middle class in LA doesn't get you very far in being able to provide them. It is depressing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles