Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2014, 05:25 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,548,214 times

Advertisements

Last weekend, we left Hollywood/Highland about 4pm and made it to Barstow at 6:20pm. We went out the 170 to the 5 to the 14 to the 138/18. That last roadway across the high desert was mostly two lanes with pretty harry driving.

My friends think that even with the added mileage, we still beat out the recommended route (by google maps) of 101 to barham to the 134 to the 210 to the 15.

Has anyone done that northern route? Are there any plans to fix it up as an alternate? To me it seemed like something that more people would take if they made it a safe wide roadway or a freeway. Wouldn't this help commerce somehow?

If I were going to Vegas by myself, I would have just flown, but with several people that cost would go way up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2014, 06:13 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,135,912 times
the other route off the 14 is to go up to mojave and jump across the 58. the 58 was in pretty decent shape the last time i was up there. try that out next time.

Old 11-07-2014, 06:16 PM

13,825 posts, read 29,837,620 times
If you're coming back on Sunday, you won't want to be on 58.

You'll thank me later.

Old 11-07-2014, 07:00 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,513,996 times
I've taken the 138/18 before, and at some point it narrows to one lane in each direction. At that point I end up stuck behind a truck, unable to pass or do anything but lumber along behind, dreaming of a four-lane highway at the very least.

Old 11-07-2014, 08:01 PM

822 posts, read 1,279,762 times
With the lost gambling and or regular leisure time for shows, dining, swimming, sunbathing, clubbing, etc. and wear and tear on your car, gas, etc. you might as well fly there. Vegas is not the kind of place where you need a car and imagine getting into an out of state accident as well. If you plan in advance or leave on a time and date where most other people are not keen to travel its not that expensive at all. I wouldn't drive there if I were you.

Old 11-07-2014, 09:34 PM

1,631 posts, read 4,212,039 times
I always take Pear Blossom to the 15.

Old 11-08-2014, 01:38 AM

399 posts, read 405,308 times
I've taken both routes you're talking about. Traffic plays a big part but I think, on average, taking the 210 to the 15 ends up being quicker than going Palmdale to Victorville, even though I prefer the adventure of the latter. It's sketchy, though. A classmate of mine was killed on that highway.

As far as fixing the route up and making it more accessible, I really don't think California is scrambling to make it easier for people to leave all their money in another state.

Old 11-08-2014, 05:19 PM

245 posts, read 710,731 times
I used to have a place in Vegas so I would commute back and forth to LA every other weekend. I've taken various routes (210, 10, 14) and I guess it really depends on traffic and which area of LA you're starting from. Good to Google up traffic info first.

There are occasional accidents on the northbound I-15 before Barstow that forces me to take Route 66 from Victorville up to Barstow. It's a nice maintained road that not many people take. It's also pretty scenic for those that wants something different than the I-15 including different views of the desert, hills, and a big train yard in Barstow.

Old 11-08-2014, 06:59 PM

2,412 posts, read 2,464,618 times
this veterans day weekend is going to be a traffic nightmare on the 15.

i once went to Vegas on a new years it took us 8 hours from Las Vegas to here (which can be done in little less 3 hrs), as parts of the 15 in the middle of the desert were parking lots, not moving for much time. the whole route on the 15 was clogged from LV to entering the LA Area at San Bernardino where the 15 meets the 210 and still to the 10. I swore i would never go on New Years.

Old 11-09-2014, 11:10 PM

221 posts, read 346,654 times
We did Vegas at New Year's once and it was the same for us. I'd say on a normal trip, it takes us about 4 hours to get to Vegas (5 if we dawdle and stop a bunch of times). The year we went for New Year's it took us about 8 hours.

We've only ever gone the 210 to the 15 route (we are located on the Eastside so that's pretty convenient). We have taken the 138 up to Big Bear and Lake Arrowhead, but I can't imagine taking that road to get somewhere else. It is single-lane at points and kind of makes us carsick. We only take it when our destination is a weekend in the mountains. As others pointed out, it is hairy to drive and I've had friends get in major wrecks up there that they were lucky to have survived (I used to live up there). It also would be impassable for many people during a good portion of the year due to snow.

The 210/15 may be grid-lock on Friday afternoons and Sunday afternoons due to LV traffic, but at least you kind of know what you're in for.

Oh, and it may help to mention that when we had a mountain weekend recently, both the 138 and the 18 were partially or totally closed for road improvements (there are significant landslide issues with both roads and they periodically have to be repaired). It took us about four hours to get back from Big Bear due to sitting for ages at various points waiting for the pilot cars. Not fun.

Our best luck has been with taking a Friday off and leaving early Friday morning, when traffic is all coming into LA. Then leaving early Sunday morning before most people do (or taking Monday off and leaving midday so we hit the 210 around the time the traffic is leaving LA rather than going into it).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles