Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2014, 02:24 PM

5 posts, read 6,268 times

Advertisements

Hello, I'm considering moving from an extremely small town in Iowa (Population is only around 2,000) to Northridge, California. I'm not very educated at all when it comes to moving out of state, I'm actually still a junior in high school, but I'm set to graduate around early November next year with no current plans of going to college. My uncles have been talking to me about what I want to do when I get older and I've always told them how much I wanted to move to California. They both offered to let me stay with them until I'm able to find a place of my own and they recognize that it would take some time to do that. However, my mom did the exact same thing with them and ended up coming back because her and her friend couldn't make it due to the high cost of living. I'm worried because the cost of living has only gone up and if she can't make it, it's extremely likely that I wouldn't be able to, either. Is there any possibility that I would be able to make it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2014, 03:14 PM

221 posts, read 347,544 times
If you don't have specialized training in some high-skilled trade or a college education, it is very difficult to live in the LA metro area. That's surviving... not enjoying the city. The cost of living is high here, and generally speaking it takes around $50-60K per year just to begin to feel comfortable.

This is not to say don't go, but realistically, you may well find that it is very difficult to ever get a place of your own if you lack higher education or training.

I would suggest that you figure out what career you would want, and then procure the education and/or training (internships, etc.) to do it first.

Old 11-30-2014, 04:31 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,562,086 times
Why not look at becoming a college student? Stay with your uncle for a year and work somewhere until you establish California residency and then go to Cal State Northridge? Get loans, do student work, live on campus. You really can't do much in California without a college degree. You just need to take general classes for a year and then figure out what you want to do for a major....

You could even do community college for that year while living with the uncle. Pierce College is cheap and you'd get credits towards a degree.

You either need a good degree here or a good trade program (like from Pierce College or LA Trade Tech). Do you want to fix AC units? Plumber? Electrical guy? Those jobs pay pretty well without a 4 year degree.

This is the time of your life to try out anything and everything and then figure out what you want to do with your life, or at least what you want to do to make a good income.

Old 11-30-2014, 05:54 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,923,286 times
I would say give it a shot.

At best, you make it.
At worst, you have some stories to tell.

Old 11-30-2014, 06:54 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,336,173 times
I mean do you want a job? If you don't want to work at Starbucks for the rest of your life, go to college. Go to Cal State Northridge and live with family if they'll let you for those years of school. Not having a job and no higher education is almost guaranteed to set you up for failure. The only job you can get is a barista or waiter and that won't get you the money to live on your own. I mean if you're really attractive, maybe you can do modeling or be an assistant in the entertainment industry, but generally not gonna happen. There's always "Silicone Valley" to look forward to in 2 years if you get desperate.

But in all seriousness, go to college while living with your uncles. You need an education in LA to make it. Even the rich and famous went to college, even if it was for acting or film production. If not, see if they'll let you live with them while you work as a barista or waiter or something until you can figure your life out. LA is an awesome place to be young in with the support of family, especially a free place to stay. But your current plan doesn't seem like it's gonna let you last long in LA. You'll end up back in Iowa.

Old 11-30-2014, 07:01 PM

1,962 posts, read 4,482,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperfektua View Post
Hello, I'm considering moving from an extremely small town in Iowa (Population is only around 2,000) to Northridge, California. I'm not very educated at all when it comes to moving out of state, I'm actually still a junior in high school, but I'm set to graduate around early November next year with no current plans of going to college. My uncles have been talking to me about what I want to do when I get older and I've always told them how much I wanted to move to California. They both offered to let me stay with them until I'm able to find a place of my own and they recognize that it would take some time to do that. However, my mom did the exact same thing with them and ended up coming back because her and her friend couldn't make it due to the high cost of living. I'm worried because the cost of living has only gone up and if she can't make it, it's extremely likely that I wouldn't be able to, either. Is there any possibility that I would be able to make it?
Just for perspective, Northridge is part of the larger municipality of the City of Los Angeles, with just about four MILLION people in it.

Old 12-01-2014, 04:29 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,443,353 times
And northridge has over 60,000 residents...so Northridge alone is 30x bigger in population than the small town in Iowa.

I'd give the same advice.

You are lucky that you will have a place to stay in the L.A area with your uncles.

Taking classes at Pierce college is a good suggestion too. I agree about the 50-60k to begin to feel comfortable.

With a college degree (4yr degree) or some kind of certification in a trade you should be able to make at least this.

Even though it's community college and more affordable you should treat it like you are at a 4year school. I've seen so many people take a class here or there and drop in and out of community college.

This is ok if you have the money to do so , but if you need to make a living it's not a cool thing to do.

There are also opportunities that will come up that you won't have in your smaller hometown.

You'll want to be in the position to take advantage of them.

A lot of people in L.A seem to do more than one thing , especially if they don't have a college degree.

You already have many interests i'm sure , so it would be best to seek out where those people that are interested in the same things as you hang out. There are probably tons of careers out there that you didn't even know existed or ones you've heard of but didn't realize they might align well with your interests and skills.

It's cliche to say "It's who you know" , but it's oftentimes very true. How many people do you know that get hired off a randomly submitted resume, rather than being hired by someone they know or being referred by someone that already works with that company.

Old 12-01-2014, 06:02 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,390,321 times
(Joke) Northridge? Nah. Go for Long Beach (e.g. Little Iowa .... at least back in the day). (/Joke).

Old 12-04-2014, 12:07 AM

671 posts, read 1,189,851 times
Yeah, I thought the same thing "Northridge?" I have family in that area, so I can joke. But, I suppose Northridge is gonna be a district that never sleeps to the OP. And he even become overwhelmed by Northridge and its massive crazy traffic and so many (stupid--a joke as all people who are not us are stupid) people everywhere . He may even pass-out living on the west side or downtown. .

I say go for it, but HAVE A PLAN to get a good job. That means come here and GO TO SCHOOL and take advantage of being a CA resident and use our community colleges and transfer to Cal-state and UC at CA discounted RESIDENT FEES (illegal to charge "tuition" to CA residents, so we call them "fees") and get a degree that can give you a better chance of getting a good paying job, and you may NEVER have to leave CA and stay here forever. It can be done, IF you use the opportunity that many don't have when they move here: help and support from family here. You can get a job at Starbucks or Costco or whatever while you are a student. Kid, you have a really GOLDEN opportunity here, if you use it wisely. Don't come just to party, or you really will have to move back home. Show everyone how its done.

Old 12-04-2014, 05:06 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperfektua View Post
you are a kid with a dream: a fun time in life but your dream is very unrealistic. How many times have you visited los Angeles and how much time have you spent there? If you have no education other than high school, you will never be able to make it in S. California or certainly not for many years. Why doyou think you want to live there, what kind of work do you think you will be able to get? Do you realize with no education you would probably not make enough money to pay rent. much less car insurance, phone bill, some untilities, groceries, medical insruance, and entertainment costs. In fact ypu would probably have trouble even renting a small apartment with no or ver little work experince and probably not a lot of money in savings. The positve thing, you do have a place to live, but for how long? Yes, your uncle will let you life with him: is he talking a year or more.

The suggestion of taking classes at Pierce is a great one, even then you will have to pay out of state tuition until you have lived in CA a year. Why don't you get, at least a year or so of community college behind you before making the move. If your mom had problems, you need to listen to her and understand it won't be easy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles