Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2014, 09:50 PM

3 posts, read 4,467 times

Advertisements

Hey guys,

I got into a music production school in Burbank so I will be moving to LA in 10 days to go find an apartment in either the NoHo or Burbank area. Looking for a studio or 1 BR that allows dogs.

Should it be easy for me to find a 1 BR or Studio apartment for under $1200? And if so does anyone maybe have a suggestion as to how to start looking? I don't really know where I plan on living until I find an apartment but leaning towards like a hotel or something. This isn't a city I am familiar with but in 10 days i will be living there. If anyone has any advice or a lead on a place id love to hear it.

Thanks,
Ian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2014, 01:17 AM

2,914 posts, read 2,687,743 times
Generally speaking Burbank is a better area IMO than NoHo and it won't break the bank like a lot of other areas like Sherman Oaks, Studio City, etc. Parts of NoHo and like gangland. I think you just need to get your hands dirty so to speak and check out what's available in person. You can still do a lot of homework online before you hit the pavement. Beware of landlords that want a co-signer or crap like that.

Old 12-01-2014, 02:36 AM

68 posts, read 168,932 times
Hey Broon, give us a little more on what your looking for in a neighborhood. Burbank is more family-oriented while NoHo is for the younger urban crowd.

I frequent both areas often. When doing searches for NoHo on Craigslist or any other rental site, take notice at the address. If the zip code is not 91601, you're not in NoHo, but rather the greater North Hollywood area.

Old 12-01-2014, 01:31 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,451,703 times
Yeah , good to keep in mind . I live in North Hollywood , but not NoHo Arts District.

Burbank is a 'safer' bet as Burbank is a city within L.A county , so they have their own city services like Police, etc.

The one advantage I'd see to living in NoHo Arts is that if you are within walking distance to the NoHo Redline station , it's super quick to get to other parts of L.A without relying on a car or sitting in traffic and parking.

There's quite a bit to walk to in NoHo Arts but it's pretty small. It's not really a 'destination' area like Hollywood or 3rd Street Promenade right now in that it doesn't have enough to appeal to tourists and seems to be more locals hanging out there than anything.

You will be going to school in Burbank though so it would be nice to live close to that as well.

I think Burbank is pretty underrated and most people just think of it as some boring little suburb of L.A . There are a ton of options for shopping and restauraunts though . I like that it's not totally upscale or highend/flashy , but also not the other spectrum being rundown and ghetto like , which is sadly how a lot of North Hollywood is these days.

Old 12-02-2014, 02:22 AM

68 posts, read 168,932 times
JM, I'm just curious what zip code do you live in? I'm guessing 91605 or 91606. 91605 especially is a whole other world. Come down and join the fun in 91601. It definitely is not touristy yet and I hope it stays that way. There's plenty of places for tourists to go. It's nice to have some developed areas where the locals can go to enjoy things.

I don't think Burbank is underrated at all.

Funny you mention the "safer" factor. Irony being last week, my friend had his Prius broken into at the Burbank AMC parking lot and had his ipod stolen. Seriously, who steals an ipod these days? Then today, a gal pal of mine had her purse swiped at the Ikea. Gotta love property crime. Watch your stuff folks....this is prime time for thieves during the holiday shopping season.

Old 12-02-2014, 07:00 AM

Yeah I am towards the northern part of 91605...it is a whole other world, lol.

I wouldn't have moved here if I didn't buy a house, but I had bought a place during 'the crash'. It's where I could afford.
NoHo Arts is pretty expensive in terms of buying, but I see the area improving.

I feel that more and more people will realize the benefit of living near the subway/public transit , like they do in NYC.

I feel there should be a lot more development considering the metro being there. Development happens very slowly in LA. Laurel Plaza is one area that could benefit the area with the right development.
Laurel Plaza shopping center in North Hollywood is sold - LA Times

There is still a lot more to do in Burbank versus North Hollywood and it is cleaner and feels safer at least to me.

That sucks what happened to your friend , and I agree these scumbag thieves are out looking.

Just wondering did your friend have the iPOD in open view? Best to hide anything of value or anything that might look of value.

I have had my house broken into , it's more the thought of someone going through your space more than the value of what is taken.

In terms of safer, I was thinking more of violent crime. There have been a lot of quite a few killings in north hollywood and they happen pretty frequently.

That seems very rare in Burbank. Housing prices are pretty crazy there too though, but it seems to be a good value for renting.

Old 12-02-2014, 11:50 AM

9,725 posts, read 15,168,897 times
North Hollywood should start turning around. I say that because I notice that rents are rising in the area. A few years ago, you could get a studio apartment for around $750 a month. Now they are getting closer to $1k a month. Both Van Nuys and North Hollywood have some nice homes hidden off the main drags.

To the OP: It may be hard finding a place that will take dogs.

Old 12-02-2014, 06:27 PM

448 posts, read 1,605,861 times
JM1982, yes, it looks like developers are starting to even look at the greater North Hollywood area now and not limit themselves just to the Arts district. It will be a trickle effect starting from the subway station and start creeping north. The article you posted is exactly a sign of more to come to the area.

I just saw this house listed in the 91606 zip code (cute neighborhood I might add) near the Laurel Plaza. This street is full of 1920's character homes, but as you can see the prices are starting to jump even in this zip code.
https://www.redfin.com/CA/North-Holl...6/home/5122845

Having lived in the 91601 NoHo zip for several years now, I have to say I'm genuinely surprised how safe it is here. I had more problems in the more affluent areas I've lived in the past such as Woodland Hills, Valley Village and Sherman Oaks. I accidentally left my garage door wide open for hours and noone even tried a thing. Knock on wood as I'm sure I'll be here for years to come.

Old 12-02-2014, 07:00 PM

Interesting as the home in the redfin link above just sold this June 2014 for $460,000 .

Now they are asking $649,000. I'm guessing they did some work to it, but it will be interesting to see how much they get.

And sadly while $649,000 is a good amount of money..that still looks 'cheap' when similar houses in West L.A might be around $1million.

It looks like many property owners in NoHo arts area will be able to profit handsomely.

Take a look at this single family house asking $1.595 million..it's zoned R3 though and apartments can be built on it.

I don't know who would live in a house in that area that's worth 1.595 million if they could sell it for so much money.

Old 12-02-2014, 07:36 PM

47 posts, read 37,454 times
NoHo has really improved a lot from what I've heard but I don't make it out to the valley often, but I'd still say right now Burbank is your best bet, it's one of the few solidly middle class safe areas left it seems and benefits greatly from being it's own independent city.

My $0.02 Live in Burbank, go to NoHo on weekend nights for excitement
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles