U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 02:14 PM

26,362 posts, read 54,170,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitechocolate86 View Post
Someone mentioned living beyond their means...I plan to get out of school this year, and if I decide not to go to Grad or Law School, I'm thinking about going to LA, seeing if I could find a job to sustain myself and live moderately in a modest but nice place if I could find a job to put my Political Science degree to work...I would also try and get involved with acting groups and training, as I have thought about acting again...I would think of myself smart enough not to live outside of my means, does anyone feel that this is possible to set up a life out there?
-Michael
Anything is possible. Do you have any more specific information? It almost sounds like you want someone to write what you want to read. Do you have any idea what income you'll have for your first year? Are you willing to live with a roommate? Do you know anyone that has taken the same path (as you envision)? Do you have friends or family in SoCal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2008, 02:17 PM

1,297 posts, read 3,651,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevorilla View Post
The bottom line is, there aren't a lot of freebies in L.A.. Nothing is easy unless you pull in sick money. If your wealthy, you still have the same crappy commute as everyone else here. If you have sick money, then you can have a chauffer drive you. The subway and trains are barely functional, and only a small portion of the population can use it. 24 hours a day, and most of L.A. has about a 2 hour commute both ways. Add it up people. Thats a huge percentage of your life sitting in traffic. Driving and riding in a train or subway are very different mentally. The population is huge here, and the city doesn't look for solutions to ease the inconveniences brought by the amount of people. If you are very patient and rich, you can find great happiness here. You will wait 3 times as long for everything and you will sit in traffic at least twice as long. There are cities that are comparable, but most offer solid transportation solutions. We just add on lanes to the highway. The argument here is that you can do everything all the time because of the weather. Try getting to a Dodger game. Anyone take the subway into a Nationals or Cubs game?; it's different... Try going to watch the fireworks on the 4th of July with your family. lol. Gridlock and parking nightmare. Try going to Venice boardwalk on a Saturday. Gridlock on the streets and a parking nightmare. If your rich, this isn't a worry for you. You might have a 3 million dollar pad on the beach, then no worries. If your just upper class, enjoy the wait in Los Angeles. L.A. is a dump, and those who are advocates really haven't lived well in other comparable cities, or they are blind because they grew up here; or they have sick wealth. This is fine, but newbies need to know the truth about L.A.. It can be great if you are a trust-fund baby or have sick wealth. Or you need a very good sense of humor. Can you laugh if someone runs a stop sign and then flicks you off. Or can you just laugh if an illegal hits your car and doesn't have insurance. If you can laugh at stuff like that, then come on down.

If your smart, you live close to work and don't experience the daily commute.
It has nothing to do with wealth.

Taking the family to Venice boardwalk is kindof weird. That place is a freakshow with drunks and addicts. I ride my bike down the bike path through that section and that place is a joke. You say LA is a dump, yet sit in traffic on your day off to visit Venice?

Also, an uninsured motorist hit my car about a month ago. Guess what happened? nothing, my coverage took care of it and will send him a bill via a collection agency. The guy who ran into me was a white guy from Arizona who had a 2007 vehicle with no coverage/lapsed insurance.

Old 01-21-2008, 06:05 PM

1,115 posts, read 2,026,791 times
LA is a cesspool of greed, selfishness, desperation and people getting involved in each others business. People so preoccupied with themselves and other people that they are totally out of touch with nature, their own spirit, and they can't just stop to smell the roses. LA is a spiritual wasteland really.

And for positives. I keep hearing people mention the "beautiful people" and "nice cars" as if these are positive? To me this seems negative because it reflects the arrogance, competition and narcissism that is totally out of control down there. How can some people fail to see this? It's so obvious.

Also LA/SoCal people aren't more beautiful than other places. They just flaunt it more, pack on the make up and spend a fortune on clothes. But when the clothes come off and the make-up rubs off. They aren't any more beautiful than anywhere else. In fact they are ugly because of their concieted arrogance. And often they are more out of shape because they drive everywhere and don't exercise like we do in more outdoorsy places, where biking, climbing and things like that are the norm.

I was just in Colorado and found the women to be much more beautiful. They were truely athletic and actually had warm, real personalities, which made them truely stunning. But of course they weren't wearing tight-butt pants and cleavage shirts with a pound of make-up. So you LA guys probobly wouldn't like them.

Last edited by FunkyMonk; 01-21-2008 at 06:25 PM..

Old 01-21-2008, 07:00 PM

19 posts, read 62,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyMonk View Post
LA is a cesspool of greed, selfishness, desperation and people getting involved in each others business. People so preoccupied with themselves and other people that they are totally out of touch with nature, their own spirit, and they can't just stop to smell the roses. LA is a spiritual wasteland really.
You should try living in Las Vegas

Old 01-21-2008, 07:14 PM

26,362 posts, read 54,170,320 times
Quote:

I was just in Colorado and found the women to be much more beautiful. They were truely athletic and actually had warm, real personalities, which made them truely stunning.

Old 01-21-2008, 07:35 PM

1,115 posts, read 2,026,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelSugar View Post
You should try living in Las Vegas
If you compare one piece of poop to another piece of poop. It's still all poop.....you wouldn't catch me living in Vegas unless I landed a job making a TON of money.

But in Vegas at least the sin isn't sugarcoated and hidden behind a facade like it is in LA. So in a way, I respect Vegas more for it's honesty about it's debauchery. LA's debauchery is always just slightly beneath the surface of what people are willing to talk about.

Old 01-22-2008, 04:41 PM

1,689 posts, read 4,115,806 times
Quote:
It's still all poop.....you wouldn't catch me living in Vegas unless I landed a job making a TON of money.
Reminds me of the old joke: Would you have sex with me for $1M dollars. Of course she replied. How about $50 he asked. What do you think I am, she replied? Well, he said, we've already settled that, now we're just negotiating on the price.

Funky, sounds like you've had some bad experiences, but broad-brushing is always bothersome. And your statement, above, stinks of a "cesspool of greed." Perhaps you just didn't hang with the non-poopy crowd?

Old 02-22-2008, 11:40 AM

3,030 posts, read 5,620,191 times
Quote:
LA is a spiritual wasteland really.
Are you sure? There was a spot on TV about L.A. being one of the most spiritual places on Earth. Many religions are practiced there and many devoutly spiritual/religious people.

Old 02-22-2008, 04:46 PM

61 posts, read 149,281 times
Since I'm always talking negative about L.A. (having lived here my whole life), I thought I'd say what I do like for a change:

I like the weather, how everything is close (restaurants, grocery stores, malls), that my family lives here.

Old 02-23-2008, 10:19 AM

35 posts, read 143,631 times
We moved to LA 5 years ago from the East Coast and wouldn't want to live anywhere else in the world (well, except for Hawaii, lol!). EVERYTHING is possible/ available in LA; it all depends on what it is that floats your boat. We don't drink, do drugs or party hard, dislike the fake and phony and guess what, even though it's all around us, we've been able to shut all that out of our lives and carve out a very happy existence for our family. We've surrounded ourselves with like-minded people who enjoy clean, fun living: the Hollywood Bowl, Pageant of the Masters, theatres, mountains, vineyards, beaches, parks, restaurants, etc. I've never, ever seen a gang member or even know where East LA is! I LOVE it here and am absolutely traumatized that we may be moving to Chicago's North Shore this Summer... I haven't left yet and I'm already in mourning and planning the return! I'n fact, I'm very seriously trying to talk my husband into commuting to Chicago -- that's how much I like LA!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles