Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 03:48 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,449,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
You are probably in an area with more smog.
On the day I thook that photo (and, btw, there are many days when it is that clear), I could easily see all of the mountains surrounding the San Fernando Valley, I could see well into the San Gabriel mountain range (30+ miles) and I could see the buildings of downtown Los Angeles through the Cahuenga Pass (about 25 miles away).
And from the top of Mission Point in Granada Hills, Santa Catalina Island and the ocean are visible. The island is at least 50 miles away.
Where I am isn't that smoggy compared to the LA basin. I see much browner air when I look north (toward the SG Valley) and northwest (toward downtown LA) than when I look east toward Saddleback. I don't even what to know how bad it must be on the other side of Saddleback. Blech! Today is very clear because of the winds. I remarked to myself how clear it was this morning then an hour later the winds hit my location and explained.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2008, 01:37 PM

1 posts, read 2,519 times
Post What about your "number," DaBeez?

Ok, so here is my question...I read your below synopsis regarding ignoring LA naysayers and I completely agree. I'm not from here and have only been here 2 years but i'm a lifer - I will NEVER leave (aside from the all-to-frequent tropical island getaway or ski trip)...HOWEVER, I am curious about your comment on [insert midwestern town name here] where people (I assume you mean girls) were considered a "10" only to move here and find out that in LA they are only a "4". Now don't get threatened or defensive, I AM NOT FROM THE MIDWEST...I am from NYC and I was a 9, or so, there and I still seem to be a 9, or so, here (I don't know, maybe an 8 depending on the person rating me, but whatever. I guess I'm just curious what your "number" is and also what you would rate me, since you seem to do that. Also, I have seen some ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS, BREATHTAKING, [insert whatever amazing description of beauty you can think of here], woman in this town but not to the extent I thought it would be before I moved here. I was one of the rare people who thought AHEAD OF TIME that I would go from a 9 to maybe a 5 or 6, but I haven't, for some reason, and I must be hanging in the wrong crowds because I WANT to see "the most beautiful woman in the world" and i'm just not seeing it to the extent I thought I would. What I AM seeing way too much of, though, is COCKY GUYS! There are more hot guys here that think they walk on water than I have EVER seen in my life. I get approached DAILY by guys I think are hot until they speak...then they say things like, "don't you know who I am?" (That was the actor from Nip/Tuck that did that, actually.) Or, I get **** like, "you're sexy, i'm sexy, it just makes sense that two beautiful people like us should mate!" I mean, seriously, I LOVE LA and,like I said, i'm a lifer, but what is with the cocky guys - HELP!!! (And, post a pic of yourself Mr. "DaBeez" because I just have to know if you fall into the "10" or the "4" category.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBeez View Post
Dude, you should just ignore those naysayers and make the move. I think a lot of people moved here to follow a dream that unfortunately didnt turn out right for them.

As a true native, born and bred Los Angeles native, I say pack your bags and come on down. You will never be bored with LA as there is ALWAYS something to do. We have the best looking people here, tremendous opportunities for employment, you can wear shorts and go to the park on Christmas day, we have arts, culture, beach, the best restaraunts, Disneyland, we set the national trends, we have style, some substance, the best weather, we have people from all over the world here, we have Hollywood, great shopping, and one day, I know we'll have a professional football team.

Forget those ssa backwards people who are bitter about LA. They move here with little or no income yet want to live beyond their means and in the most expensive areas (West Hollywood, Santa Monica, Studio City, Sherman Oaks, Calabasas) then get upset because "its sooo expensive". Or they get upset after moving here from [insert any midwestern town] where they were considered a "10" only to find out after moving here that in LA they are only a "4".

LA is perhaps the best non-tropical Island place in the world to live. Put it this way, even if I win mega millions in the lottery, I'd still have a Sherman Oaks (or maybe Studio City) address.

Old 08-01-2008, 02:23 PM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 7,162,376 times
Interesting thread...

Having lived/worked in Manhattan/LA/SF and traveled often to various US/EU business cities, would rather live in BevHills (after making money in a more powerful economy like SiliconValley/Manhattan) more than anywhere else on planet....each place has strengths/weaknesses; need to assess based upon own income/preferences....

The attractiveness of women in LA I'd argue is really just Westside; rest of LA region is fairly disappointing....LA's most direct competition in this category is Manhattan (esp Midtown on wkdays)....LA offers advantage of less clothing and nr-optimal weather, but LA "style" (attire/aftermkt work, etc) tends to be some version of trailer pk deluxe....less elegant than Manhattan; though underpaid young women in Manhattan often suffer stench of daily commute via sweaty/smelly subway/cab....problem for no. rating of any given female is that they keep making new copies every yr....and aging is a terrible phenomenon...

Doubt guys in LA/Manhattan ever command much respect based upon looks....suspect money speaks louder than anything else in any global epicenter....and risk guys face in places like BevHills/Manhattan/SiliconValley is that these regions attract the world's smartest, wealthiest guys for both work and play....dynamics of competitive urban regions w/powerful economies....that's what keeps them interesting IMO....

Old 08-01-2008, 04:20 PM

58 posts, read 159,056 times
I love living in LA.

And if you still have a good feeling about LA even when so many people tell you how much they hate it... well, then it's definitely good for you to move to LA.

LA is a melting pot of cultures, so you will find a huge variety of little hole in the wall restaurants, the beach is close by: imagine a bike ride early in the morning and having your coffee on the beach..., there is plenty of entertainment: museums, cinema's..., lots of shopping, even going on hiking trips not too far out of LA so you can escape the hustle and bustle... it's possible.

Don't let negativity take away your enthousiasm.

My philosophy is: I don't let anybody clip my wings.....
Neither should you.
Good advice is great, take that with you and just go for your own experience, it's your life and hey... we only live once !

Good luck.

Old 08-02-2008, 08:59 AM

3,722 posts, read 4,309,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBeez View Post
Dude, you should just ignore those naysayers and make the move. I think a lot of people moved here to follow a dream that unfortunately didnt turn out right for them.

As a true native, born and bred Los Angeles native, I say pack your bags and come on down. You will never be bored with LA as there is ALWAYS something to do. We have the best looking people here, tremendous opportunities for employment, you can wear shorts and go to the park on Christmas day, we have arts, culture, beach, the best restaraunts, Disneyland, we set the national trends, we have style, some substance, the best weather, we have people from all over the world here, we have Hollywood, great shopping, and one day, I know we'll have a professional football team.

Forget those ssa backwards people who are bitter about LA. They move here with little or no income yet want to live beyond their means and in the most expensive areas (West Hollywood, Santa Monica, Studio City, Sherman Oaks, Calabasas) then get upset because "its sooo expensive". Or they get upset after moving here from [insert any midwestern town] where they were considered a "10" only to find out after moving here that in LA they are only a "4".

LA is perhaps the best non-tropical Island place in the world to live. Put it this way, even if I win mega millions in the lottery, I'd still have a Sherman Oaks (or maybe Studio City) address.

Quote:

Old 08-02-2008, 10:27 AM

321 posts, read 1,119,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsy456 View Post
I love living in LA.

And if you still have a good feeling about LA even when so many people tell you how much they hate it... well, then it's definitely good for you to move to LA.

LA is a melting pot of cultures, so you will find a huge variety of little hole in the wall restaurants, the beach is close by: imagine a bike ride early in the morning and having your coffee on the beach..., there is plenty of entertainment: museums, cinema's..., lots of shopping, even going on hiking trips not too far out of LA so you can escape the hustle and bustle... it's possible.

Don't let negativity take away your enthousiasm.

My philosophy is: I don't let anybody clip my wings.....
Neither should you.
Good advice is great, take that with you and just go for your own experience, it's your life and hey... we only live once !

Good luck.
Wondeful post and attitude. I made the horrendous mistake of accepting a job transfer in 1991 from California. I've regretted it ever since; there is NOTHING worse than the SE USA (Atlanta for one, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi)

Living here has all the problems of a big city like Los Angeles, none of the advantages: No beach, limited culture, racial boundaries and most worst of all ... the BIGGEST RED STATE in the USA (perhaps behind Utah). How would any of you folks complaining about Los Angeles like to have the self-righteous, red-necked GOP in your face 24/7? And nothing worse than a phony liberal (GOP in 'designer' clothing?) ready to pounce on anyone "that ain't like-a them". Atlanta is probably the biggest xenophobic city I've every had the displeasure of knowing about, let alone living in. Embarassing to me.

Relish please everything that you can think of that is BAD about Los Angeles then sum up the good stuff. The latter will always outweigh whatever you can negatively some up with. It's ONLY downhill from California folks ... easily proved if you move to the [sick] South of the USA.

I'm coming home in two years. It will be great once again ... will be living in either San Luis Obispo (HS town) or Palm Springs (college stomping grounds).

Old 08-02-2008, 08:01 PM

110 posts, read 376,961 times
I like LA because the people there are weird and scary. That makes visiting LA very interesting and never dull. I don't mean the gangsters either. The scariest and most weird people in LA look, at first glance, to be the most normal. Then you get to talking to them and realize that they are full blown lunatics. I always have a blast when I go down there.

Old 08-02-2008, 11:41 PM

65 posts, read 356,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeDog View Post
These forums are often just a bunch of sour grapes types who either secretly love California and badmouth it b/c they cannot live there or people who try to justify why they live in crummy places like Texas. If you are looking for real information about LA, go visit and talk to the actual residents. By reading these forums you would think North Dakota and Houston were appealling. They are not.
I can vouch for this. I moved to Houston in January 2008 and within a month or so COMPLETELY regretted my decision. I can't wait for October 1, when we are moving to Palm Springs. Houston and Texas as a whole is without a shadow of a doubt the absolute worst place in this country to live. And yes I have the experience. I have lived in 9 different states. Many different cities and I can assure ANYONE thinking of moving to Texas, think again, unless of course you like living amongst the most bigoted, backwards bunch of people on Gods earth. I am counting down the days until I drive out of this place.

If you like LA then go to LA. When I was 19 years old I wanted to live in LA so bad I jumped on a Greyhound in Boston and went to LA with $50.00 in my pocket. Got off the Bus in Hollywood and had absolutely no idea what I was going to do or how I was going to live but I was in LA LA Land and for some reason, I was happy. After moping around for a few months and traveling the entire state from LA, then San Diego, Up to Santa Rosa, San Francisco and Santa Cruz and then back down to LA I decided to go back home to Massachusetts with all of my memories. Then a year later (And still a lost soul) I jumped on a Greyhound yet again and headed back to Hollywood. This time I met a friend on the Bus who was going to California from New Hampshire to hike from the Mexican Border to the Canadian Border and wanted me to go with him. He was cool, We hit it off big time so of course, I went. Of course I had no money but he did. We flew from LA down to San Diego and bought our hiking gear. We then went down to Campo, camped out for the night, and started our trek the next morning, hiking through the mountains up to Canada. Problem was is I am a city boy. I made it probably 6 miles before I went off the path and got LOST. From there panic ensued. My new found "friend" was scared to death for me and called the authorities and reported me lost in the mountains. I remember spending the night on a huge rock up in the mountains and kept switching my bandanna from my back to the front of my shirt to keep warm. It's freezing in the mountains even in the summer lol. The next day, I walked out of the mountains an into a school and asked for a drink of water. The woman gave me a drink and asked if "People were looking for me". I had no idea and didn't think anyone was looking for me so said no but she was adamant and called the sheriffs and sure enough, they were out looking for me in the mountains all night. It was all over the news. They had called my family, etc. Once I interviewed with the authorities and they realized we weren't drug runners or anything they then told me and Joe (My new found "Friend") we could leave but that there were a swarm of reporters waiting outside for us. And they weren't lying. When we walked outside about 10 reporters and cameramen, etc swarmed around us asking questions, etc. It was very strange but very cool. We did some interviews and took off in someones pickup who gave us a ride (have no idea who it was) and watched ourselves on the news that night on every channel. We were also in the SD Union (I think that's the papers name) and were recognized a few times the next day. It was weird and wild but a memory I'll never forget. I only wish I had kept in touch with my "Friend" Joe. It would be nice to reminisce about our travels and exploits and remained friends with him. But wasn't to be. Not long after I went back home tom Massachusetts once again and have gone to LA just to visit friends and on vacations. Sorry for the ranting. Wanted to share.

So I have "lived in LA", and although I wasn't all that impressed there were a lot of nice areas and a lot of things to do. Now I am somewhat older and settled down and don't really have any interest of living in LA anymore but if the opportunity came I could see myself living there. It's what you make of it. I will be happy being in Palm Springs and within a few hours of LA and Vegas but far enough away. BTW for those who are about to reply with "Get ready for the heat" you can save it. I lived in Phoenix for a few years and absolutely loved it. I'll take the heat any day over shoveling 2 feet of snow, which is what I did for years living in New York and Massachusetts.

Old 08-03-2008, 12:26 AM

1,162 posts, read 3,236,399 times
Gotta stand up for the women of Koreatown, SilverLake, downtown at the numerous Farmer's Markets or walking to and from their offices. And what about the FIDM ladies, or the ones grabbing a bite in the Fashion District, with their portfolios, many impeccably dressed?

Wouldn't trade it for anything, expect perhaps a loft near Angelique's Cafe.

Old 08-03-2008, 12:28 AM

1,875 posts, read 2,869,583 times
I love Los Angeles. Its the greatest city on the West Coast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles