Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2014, 11:28 AM

1,238 posts, read 1,830,180 times

Advertisements

Many people are adjudicating this list because of its source and shortsightedness. But they're not terribly off the mark. Hollywood is dirty with bums at every corner, annoying rappers trying to sell you a copy of their lame CD, and god awful tourist foot traffic. It is one of the least exciting things about LA, worth a 30 minute visit if you haven't seen the sign, Graumans, or the walk of fame, but beyond that it isn't really worth the time. I only venture that way to head to the gym. However, this isn't indicative of LA as a whole, only a small glimpse of what the city has to offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2014, 11:30 AM

1,238 posts, read 1,830,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Despite the fact that LA is hyperbolically known around the world as "a city with no center" or " there is no public transportation" or that "it's all one big suburb" and "it's the most auto centric city in the world?"

What rock do these people you talk to live under? Despite decades of pejoratives being flung LAs direction, these tourists still expected Manhattan Pt. II?

Honestly IMO LA is more like traditional urban cities than the previously mentioned stereotypes suggest.
They don't read/hear/see these things before they come here, you read/hear/see them because you live here. And if they do, the pull of the celebrities and entertainment is stronger.

Old 12-11-2014, 11:40 AM

3,874 posts, read 4,696,375 times
Yes I have a problem w/ a lot of the c**p that comes out of the Fox media empire but more than that, I've been to & thoroughly enjoyed LA, Stonehenge, & Paris & thus disagree most vehemently with the article content regarding those 3 locations.
In view of that alone, I am personally inclined to take a dim view of remainder of the suvey results.

Old 12-11-2014, 11:50 AM

496 posts, read 574,333 times
I will admit that Los Angeles is not easily designed for the tourist. SOME of our "common" tourist traps are not as appealing once you get there, like the Walk of Fame. BUT the problem associated with LA is that because LA is glamorized by the movies, people think of it as a glamorized place, when it is just a city. One thing that LA can do, but it might be difficult, is to "clean up" Hollywood more. I know it has come along way already, but more can be done to that street. However, we have so many "laws" that are allowing that place to be like that. Homeless should not be allowed to sleep on those streets and panhandle like that because of its tourist nature. Also, with some more more sprucing up to that street, the blvd can be really appealing. But its the homelessness laws that LA is going to have to circumvent to make it better. You might as well throw Venice Beach into the conversation. In addition, when I say its not easily designed for the tourist, its not like San Diego for instance where ALL their tourist traps are in a short distance from each other, except maybe the beaches. BUT, places like SD are better for the tourist not so much the resident, because after a while, a resident may get bored after they have exhausted the tourist spots. In contrast, LA residents do not even get involved in our tourist traps because there are hundreds more things to do.

Old 12-11-2014, 11:52 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,690,496 times
I just got back from LA about 3 weeks ago. I went strictly as a tourist and effin LOVED it.
Of course, I had gotten myself a rental car and traversed the cities freeways and roads to get everywhere, but everywhere I ended up, I just LOVED. From Runyon Canton hiking to Hollywood to Bev Hills and Santa Monica and Venice to WeHo nightlife to Orange county and Malibu.

I have nothing but good things to say about LA. People were reasonably friendly. Traffic was expectedly a thing, but idk. I just enjoyed taking in the scenery as I drove around.

Old 12-11-2014, 11:57 AM

3,190 posts, read 3,184,669 times
I won't deny that visiting Los Angeles for Hollywood would be awfully disappointing or that the relative sprawl limits your options when vacationing, but what a dumb article. Paris is awful because the locals feel they're superior? WTF?

Old 12-11-2014, 12:11 PM

3,886 posts, read 4,539,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamota View Post
https://www.yahoo.com/travel/the-mos...331798812.html

The Most Disappointing Travel Destinations on Earth
Interesting info...
People need to keep a check on their expectations and do some research. I'm sure for people who are over romantic about the idea of Hollywood Blvd. would indeed be disappointed. I grew up in "the valley" in the '70's and as teenagers my friend and I used to sneak off to Hollywood (without our parents knowledge) and walk around late at night. Once we saw Mick Jagger come out of a building and we followed him to his car. We weren't stalking him, we were just walking in the same direction. He had no entourage or body guard, but he looked paranoid and kept looking back at us while holding the collar of his jacket up to his mouth to hide his famous lips! lol! We didn't run after him for an autograph though... It was thrilling to see him, but growing up in the LA area, and also having relatives "in the biz", we weren't all that star struck. Besides, the few autographs I have collected, just got lost.

I live in Orange County now, and hubby and I love going to LA, but only in short doses for various reasons like visiting friends... Amoeba Records, Hollywood Bowl... Oh! BTW, I DID get one autograph while I was there, and I DO treasure it, and that's the autograph I got from director Robert Wise. (One of the directors of my fave movie, West Side Story) I got him to sign my program, and yes, I was actually pretty excited.

I had really low expectations of Paris, but we absolutely fell in love with it! A little research goes a long way. Learn a few phrases in French, and keep your voices low in public. Easy peasy. Made our visit there smooth and pleasant. We had one rude waiter, and would have been disappointed if we didn't experience at least one.

When I did some research on Venice on Tripadvisor, seems it was one of those places where people either loved it or didn't like it at all. We ended up loving it. If we ever go back to Italy, I'd love to spend a few days again with my sweetie in Venice. We found it very romantic.

I've been to England a few times (my hubby's is from there) and we always talk about going out to see Stonehenge, but then we don't make the trip. It would be cool to see once, but there're just too many other places to explore and I always hear how anti-climatic it is, so not in a rush to see it in person.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbyzgeee2mg

Cheers!

Old 12-11-2014, 12:17 PM

1,424 posts, read 2,487,719 times
Looks like a bunch of people that don't know how to travel. Probably want someone to hold their hand as soon as they land at the airport.

Old 12-11-2014, 12:33 PM

54,494 posts, read 33,862,309 times
Wow.. I think somebody should have spent more time throughout the entire Los Angeles basin/southern California to get the full picture of what it's like to be a traveler in the L.A. metropolis.

The opinions of one person or a handful of people do not necessarily influence my decisions on what city I should and should not visit, and if I visited Los Angeles for the very first time and took a tour of Skid Row in the downtown area, or the seedy parts of Hollywood Boulevard, I would not rate the city as a very desirable destination.

I've been to Los Angeles and the surrounding areas numerous times and I know what places to go to, and what places to avoid, and for the most part, I've had a good time out there. Every city has it's good and bad and no place in the world is going to be THE perfect travel destination, and Los Angeles certainly isn't. It is an entirely unique travel destination, and comparing it with other cities like Dubai and Paris would be like comparing oranges and.. green beans.. For some who do not know the area, it may take a couple of visits to appreciate everything that's out there.

Old 12-11-2014, 12:35 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,206,460 times
The article seems lame. Someone is going to be disappointed in every city. But I agree--I don't have much desire to see Paris. I probably will eventually, but all the French I've met are incredibly rude and off-putting.

I agree that LA isn't as tourist friendly as, say, NYC, Chicago or San Francisco. It just doesn't have as many walkable areas OR public transportation of the same quality. But people need to be more prepared for this, and do their research to plan accordingly. If they did, they could get a rental car, know how early (or how late) to go somewhere like Hollywood Blvd. or Santa Monica to avoid traffic, or find hidden gems. A lot of tourists go to LA to see the Hollywood Walk of Fame, go to Santa Monica, and then the theme parks (many of which aren't even in LA, but in OC). Then, they leave and wonder why they were disappointed. Yes, those places are nice, but there's SO much more to LA than Universal Studios and the 3rd Street Promenade. Hiking Coldwater Canyon, taking the ferry to Catalina Island, sunbathing on Zuma Beach, going to Koreatown, the rapidly-gentrifying downtown, and Little Armenia, Sushi Row in the Valley, all the great ramen restaurants, the Persian food, Thai food (can you tell yet that I'm a big foodie?)...of course, there are great "classic tourist" places people should see, like Beverly Hills, Malibu, or Venice Beach. But there's also a lot of hidden gems. Contrary to popular belief, the Valley is pretty nice, a lot of shopping. And then there's Long Beach, Manhattan Beach, Redondo Beach and Hermosa Beach. And LA has more museums than any other city in the US. It's impossible to get bored in LA, unless you don't do your research beforehand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles