Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2014, 03:36 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,010,013 times

Advertisements

Ok, as a native Houstonian who moved to LA and am visiting Houston for the Xmas break, I have to say that even with all the new development Houston still does NOT compare. Anyone who says so is seriously delusional and many Houstonians will try to convince you that Houston compares.

LA is a world class city and it shows. Houston is still developing and it shows.

The inner loop has developed into a pretty generic gentrified place. LA has color, style, and is eclectic. Houston is way too corporate. Its black, grey and buttoned down. Its a practical city made by and for the businesses there. Even the art feels corporate as most if it is funded by the large companies there.

It's not like LA at all. It looks more like the east coast or a Midwestern city.

I was looking forward to visiting and seeing all the new development and see what the Houstonians were bragging about but it's really nothing special.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2014, 03:40 PM

412 posts, read 545,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurbie View Post
Any evidence you've seen that the CA ex-pats liberal ways are starting to rub off on the locals? Or are most of them conservative political refugees who fled the People's Republic?
No, most I have met here are either the former or just normal people like anywhere else.

Old 12-24-2014, 05:11 PM

496 posts, read 574,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theraven24 View Post
I've noticed it, but Los Angeles and California in general is always getting bashed on CD. It's nothing new. I don't let it bother me.

People have a right to think what they want, no matter how ignorant they are.
why is LA always getting bashed on???? it makes no sense....ppl in LA mind their own

Old 12-24-2014, 05:31 PM

3,190 posts, read 3,185,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erin_elise_ View Post
why is LA always getting bashed on???? it makes no sense....ppl in LA mind their own
Most of the country views Los Angeles as fake and other.
"People in LA all get a bunch of plastic surgery and pretend to be successful actors."
"A psychic for dogs? People pay money for that? Must be LA."
etc.
I have family and friends from back East that talk about LA this way.

Old 12-24-2014, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MordinSolus View Post
Most of the country views Los Angeles as fake and other.
"People in LA all get a bunch of plastic surgery and pretend to be successful actors."
"A psychic for dogs? People pay money for that? Must be LA."
etc.
I have family and friends from back East that talk about LA this way.
so saddddd...i mean even other parts of so cal bash us like San Diego??? which i just found out...i wonder why that is

Old 12-24-2014, 08:52 PM

3,190 posts, read 3,185,202 times
San Diego is much more conservative than Los Angeles. They also bash San Francisco.

Old 12-24-2014, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MordinSolus View Post
San Diego is much more conservative than Los Angeles. They also bash San Francisco.
i c i c.....thanks for the input!

Old 12-24-2014, 09:45 PM

1,166 posts, read 1,635,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJT123 View Post
Seriously, folks. Its gotta be one of the biggest rivalries on citydata.com.

It is way cheaper to live there, but that's for a reason.

Are they on crack? Or just jealous?
One of the biggest rivalries on C-D? Okaaaay.

Houston residents bashing L.A. and comparing their city to L.A. Okaaaay.

Old 12-24-2014, 10:33 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,010,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simbared View Post
One of the biggest rivalries on C-D? Okaaaay.

Houston residents bashing L.A. and comparing their city to L.A. Okaaaay.
Yes they tend to think they're supplanting LA as the nations coolest city.

Old 12-24-2014, 10:33 PM

5,818 posts, read 2,670,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
Ive never noticed ANY kind of rivalry between the two cities at all. Houston is really not so cheap anymore thanks to high fallutin californians who have overpriced all of the real estate for the locals. by the way, they're called "HoustonIANS".
Actually, both terms are correct. Look it up.

I've spent time there and will cop to the few things it has going for it: A good job market and low cost of living. It has that "big city" vibe to it, which is cool, I guess, but that's about it. It's cheap for a reason. I was there in February and spent a good amount of time there. Was ready to GTF outta there after day 2. And let me say that I was excited to see it, bc I figured the 4th largest city in the nation would be pretty cool. But....

The weather is miserable. In February, I could barely be outside for more than 5 minutes before I started sweating like a pig from the humidity...in WINTER. God only knows how bad it is there in summer. This is coming from someone from the Southeast who is already used to it. Way worse there. It's also a flat, ugly, de-zoned, swampy, spread out mess. People there brag about the beltways as if that's something we are supposed to be jealous of. Traffic, from what I experienced, was ALMOST as bad as LA. It just reminded me of one big suburb, with buildings here and there, abandoned places next to brand new buildings due to the non-zoning, etc. Just not an appealing place. I had someone once tell me "LA is old news, and Houston is where it's at." Lol.

And yes, people who aren't delusional know there is no real rivalry. I have just found that many, MANY "HOUSTONIANS" act like it legitly compares to Los Angeles. That's laughable. I can name at least a half a dozen cities that are way "cooler" and more appealing than Houston, IMO. For the fourth largest city, Houston just doesn't cut it, plain and simple.

Dallas, first of all. I feel like everyone knows that Dallas (and Austin) is where it's at in Texas. Many HoustonIANS hate Dallas bc they're jealous that it gets all the attention. I would actually very much like to visit Dallas again, while I have NO desire ever to return to Houston.

The rest are in no particular order, and most aren't even close to Houston's population:
2. Chicago
3. Miami
4. Boston
5. San Francisco
6. San Diego
7. Seattle
8. D.C.
9. Denver
10. Atlanta

That's just my opinion, mind you, but I've been to all of said places and loved all of them. If others think Houston is superior, more power to them.

But Houston better, "cooler" and more fun etc., than LA, really? Lmao all over the placccceeee.

Last edited by Mister 7; 12-24-2014 at 10:49 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles