Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2014, 05:53 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,589,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by erin_elise_ View Post
hmmm...which neighborhoods are becoming more desirable b/c of metro? i already know culver city is building tons of apartments close to the culver city station. But culver city was already a desirable place u know
Highland Park and other northeastern neighborhoods. The Noho Arts District. And, let's not forget, the comebacks of Hollywood and Downtown happened due to the Metro.

Some neighborhoods are going to decline because of being far from the Metro. We haven't seen much of this outside the Valley. But when the RE bubble pops again I sense there will be some neighborhoods far from transit that might go into the crapper. We'll see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2014, 06:04 PM

496 posts, read 574,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Highland Park and other northeastern neighborhoods. The Noho Arts District. And, let's not forget, the comebacks of Hollywood and Downtown happened due to the Metro.

Some neighborhoods are going to decline because of being far from the Metro. We haven't seen much of this outside the Valley. But when the RE bubble pops again I sense there will be some neighborhoods far from transit that might go into the crapper. We'll see.
ooo i c....yea northeastern neighborhoods are seeing a boom...but i did not know that it was due to metro expansion.....and yes hollywood and DTLA are booming too...but again, i did not know it was because of metro expansion...I know that developers for years have wanted to revitalize DTLA, which is FINALLY happening. and hollywood is such an "icon" that ppl want it revived to its potential...not sure if u have seen some of my other threads, but I believe the only way hollywood (around hollywood blvd) and DTLA will REALLY revitalize is if there are people living, working, and playing in those areas constantly. thats the way urban areas are brought back. and both hollywood and DTLA are seeing that come, slowly but surely.

Old 12-30-2014, 06:14 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,589,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erin_elise_ View Post
ooo i c....yea northeastern neighborhoods are seeing a boom...but i did not know that it was due to metro expansion.....and yes hollywood and DTLA are booming too...but again, i did not know it was because of metro expansion...I know that developers for years have wanted to revitalize DTLA, which is FINALLY happening. and hollywood is such an "icon" that ppl want it revived to its potential...not sure if u have seen some of my other threads, but I believe the only way hollywood (around hollywood blvd) and DTLA will REALLY revitalize is if there are people living, working, and playing in those areas constantly. thats the way urban areas are brought back. and both hollywood and DTLA are seeing that come, slowly but surely.
There were attempts at fixing up Hollywood and downtown for years. They all failed until the Red Line came. Northeastern gentrification is being greatly advanced by the Gold Line. Palms gentrification, and the early stages of Mid City and USC area gentrification, is happening due to the Expo Line. Gentrification and revitalization happen much more easily when rail is involved.

Old 12-30-2014, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
There were attempts at fixing up Hollywood and downtown for years. They all failed until the Red Line came. Northeastern gentrification is being greatly advanced by the Gold Line. Palms gentrification, and the early stages of Mid City and USC area gentrification, is happening due to the Expo Line. Gentrification and revitalization happen much more easily when rail is involved.
cool! like i said i will be personally happy when the line to SM is finished. It will make it much for easier for me and friends to go shop at the SM mall or go the promenade or even the pier! ive only been to the pier like 3 time in my life and im a native. lol but the rail will make it MUCH easier!

Old 12-30-2014, 06:40 PM

1,714 posts, read 3,850,362 times
Areas not served by Metro rail won't be as desireable to renters, home buyers and developers... car-dependent areas like Northridge, West Covina, Cerritos, Sylmar, Carson, San Gabriel, etc. They will still develop and boom, but will eventually hit a point in the future when they need rail to progress to the next stage. This is why cities and areas in LA County are all fighting for a piece of Metro rail (see SFV, Gold Line Eastside II, and Glendale/Burbank).

Metro rail was the catalyst for NE Los Angeles' gentrification, and is the reason why many speculate Boyle Heights, East LA, and Leimert Park are next in line for gentrification.

Old 12-30-2014, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by genjy View Post
Areas not served by Metro rail won't be as desireable to both home buyers and developers... areas like Northridge, West Covina, Cerritos, Sylmar, Carson, San Gabriel, etc. They will still develop and boom, but will eventually hit a point where they will need rail to progress to the next stage.

Metro rail was the catalyst for NE Los Angeles' gentrification, and is the reason why many speculate Boyle Heights, East LA, and Leimert Park are next on the list.
wowwww i see i see. yes, I have heard of the speculation for boyle heights, east la, and leimert park. rail might just take over the LA area after a while.

Old 12-30-2014, 10:57 PM

817 posts, read 921,679 times
The clusters around rail stations repeat themselves across the country. Rail stations attract a number of condo/townhouses and large apartment projects, which turns into a walkable downtown situation.

These will be limited to an extent because not everyone works where the train is going, but it turns out that many residents don't use the transit at all. Instead they were attracted to the mini-urban environment, the compact downtown, or the low maintenance living. So the housing will move to the rail lines without really needing more to be built. In Southern California, you could build the time kind of communities a couple blocks from a freeway exit, which is already happening in the suburbs of Dallas.

Old 12-31-2014, 01:30 AM

671 posts, read 1,189,851 times
Unless our new Sheriff, Mr. McDonnell, and the MTA get SERIOUS about returning to the level of security and visibility and enforcement of laws and rules on the Metro some years ago, it will continue to be a filthy home of choice for the mentally disturbed, especially Blue line and the two subway lines: Red and Purple. Enforcement needs to return to levels of the 1990's and 2000's. Things were mush better on the subway when LAPD was in charge of security. I think that duty should be returned to them and let LASD focus on the other lines. The stinking subway and rancid Blue line seem to get no attention from the politicians nor the MTA nor LASD.

Last edited by HarryKerryJr; 12-31-2014 at 01:39 AM..

Old 12-31-2014, 11:26 AM

25 posts, read 81,582 times
FWIW I used to ride the orange (bus) metro line that runs from warner center to north Hollywood for a year back in 2009. The journey was about 19 miles and took almost exactly 45 mins. Aside from a couple of incidents where the bus broke down, it was a reliable, cheap, and civilized experience. Never had to wait long for a bus, riders were courteous, professional, and well behaved. Much more pleasant than riding BART during rush hour.

Old 12-31-2014, 11:48 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,234,836 times
LA's subway and lightrail is no more dangerous than anywhere else. And I when went looking at places to live thru the years, I only looked at and lived in places close to excellent public transportation including LA. I honestly can't imagine living in places that don't have this. If downtown did not have the abundant transportation options that it has today it would not be as appealing to developers, companies or residents. The Expo Line expansion to the sea will be a game changer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles