Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2015, 03:16 PM

4 posts, read 4,309 times

Advertisements

Hi we are thinking of moving to LA. My family and I have visited LA for 4-6 weeks every summer for the last 6 years and we LOVE it and we love the Americans. We love their positive attitude, their zest for life and their friendliness. We feel as a family that we were "Destined" to live in the US. My husband and I are about to start a business and have the opportunity to set this up in LA This would be a permanent move. Therfre we would be able to get green cards through investment as we would be creating jobs etc.
As I said, we have been to the area alot for long 4 week holidays for 6 years- usually Santa Monica area but we only know these places as holidaymakers and am not up to speed on specifics.

What areas would anyone recommend living- we are thinking potentially West Hollywood Hills, West Hollywood or Beverly Hills.

Can anyone recommend any schools in the are for 11th grade and 7th grade

Grateful for all contributions

Thanks so much

Last edited by 5exybomb; 01-08-2015 at 03:57 PM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2015, 04:29 PM

1,238 posts, read 1,819,869 times
I always recommend West Hollywood. Though if you can afford Beverly Hills, it would probably be better schooling wise for kids, unless you send them to private schools. Brentwood, Santa Monica, Palisades are also great areas.

Old 01-08-2015, 05:02 PM

3,433 posts, read 3,691,576 times
Since you have kids I would recommend Los Feliz/Silverlake. You want your kids going to John Marshall High and Thomas Starr King Junior high...

Old 01-08-2015, 06:07 PM

30 posts, read 27,526 times
Here is a map of the highest rates middle and high schools in Los Angeles:

Los Angeles Schools - Los Angeles, CA | GreatSchools

Old 01-08-2015, 06:09 PM

3,190 posts, read 3,165,273 times
I'm currently living in the West Hollywood Hills and I honestly wouldn't recommend it. I love the views from my house, and it's big and quiet, but almost all of the roads in the Hills are single-lane and it can add 20-30 minutes to any commute for me if there's any obstruction(which happens fairly frequently because there are always renovations and such happening in the Hills). I'm about to move into a place toward the East end of West Hollywood proper, closer to Hollywood than the Hills. I won't have the gorgeous city views and the street is noisier, but I can get over it for the convenience and more active lifestyle.
Beverly Hills is cleaner and quieter than West Hollywood but it's not as active or dense with shops and restaurants. But you may want that so that really just comes down to personal preference.
As for schools, they're better in Beverly Hills but still not good if you were planning on sending your kids to public school. Private schools in Beverly Hills are some of the best in city, or so I'm told. I don't have kids, let alone kids in private schools so I can only relay what I hear.

Beverly Hills and West Hollywood are both very central and safe areas so you're looking in the right place.

Old 01-09-2015, 02:20 PM

Thanks guys

For schools I was looking at either Pacific Hills school or west hollywood college preparatory, however if the public schools are good where we land then im happy with that instead. I have been looking at west hollywood hills to live as I love the idea of the peace and quiet and the views- we currently live in the english countryside so we are used to the quiet. However get the point raised by MordinSolus re: commuting. You seen to get more for your money in the hills, we will have to look at BH and West Hollywood. Ill also look at Silverlake thank you Vic Romano. We are not keen on Santa Monica we would rather be in land.
We are very sociable people and Im worried about making friends do you think this will be easy to do?
also any recommendations on a good fitness club gym in the BH or WeHo area?
Thank you

Old 01-09-2015, 04:14 PM

99 posts, read 124,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5exybomb View Post
Hi we are thinking of moving to LA. My family and I have visited LA for 4-6 weeks every summer for the last 6 years and we LOVE it and we love the Americans. We love their positive attitude, their zest for life and their friendliness. We feel as a family that we were "Destined" to live in the US. My husband and I are about to start a business and have the opportunity to set this up in LA This would be a permanent move. Therfre we would be able to get green cards through investment as we would be creating jobs etc.
As I said, we have been to the area alot for long 4 week holidays for 6 years- usually Santa Monica area but we only know these places as holidaymakers and am not up to speed on specifics.

What areas would anyone recommend living- we are thinking potentially West Hollywood Hills, West Hollywood or Beverly Hills.

Can anyone recommend any schools in the are for 11th grade and 7th grade

Grateful for all contributions

Thanks so much

You will need $1,000,000 for EB-5 visa, AND you have to preserve/create TEN jobs. The investment requirement may be reduced to $500,000 for RURAL areas.

I just want to make sure you know about this, because I know tons of people that had the wrong information when coming to the US.

Old 01-10-2015, 08:13 AM

Hi Prius thanks yes Im aware of the investment and job creation.

I notice that many jobs offer 3 weeks paid vacation and 2 weeks paid sick. A friend told me that most people take the two weeks sick as a holiday as well as the three weeks is this true or not?

Thinking about when we employ the 10 staff!

Thanks

Old 01-10-2015, 10:07 AM

99 posts, read 124,452 times
Quote:

I notice that many jobs offer 3 weeks paid vacation and 2 weeks paid sick. A friend told me that most people take the two weeks sick as a holiday as well as the three weeks is this true or not?

Thanks

The vacation time and paid leave varies among different jobs and industries:

The Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) does not require payment for time not worked, such as vacations, sick leave orfederal or other holidays. These benefits are matters of agreement between anemployer and an employee (or the employee's representative).

http://www.dol.gov/dol/topic/workhou...tion_leave.htm

See above, If I was in your shoes, I would hire competent business/benefits consultant. Good luck with your venture.

Old 01-10-2015, 12:07 PM

8,452 posts, read 14,957,050 times
Quote:

Thanks
Don't forget about paid holidays like Christmas, Thanksgiving, New Years Day, Independence Day, etc. which are separate from vacation and sick days.

There is also parental leave for both sexes, jury duty pay, and others you will need to consider...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles