Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2015, 09:14 AM

925 posts, read 1,333,521 times

Advertisements

OP must either make decent money, has family to mooch off of, or enjoy the roomate life.

Old 02-04-2015, 10:25 AM

1,365 posts, read 2,246,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetLegal View Post
Visiting and living in a place are two different things. New York is a great place to visit but I'd never want to live there. By the same measure, LA is a great place to live but it's a hard city to be a tourist.
Ding ding ding.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

I know LA pretty well and every time I have first time visitors, I take them on a tour of LA. I take them to the coolest places to see, eat & party.

Just as an example, I'm going to use 2 girl friends of mine who came to visit me from Brazil.

Keep in mind that both of them have visited almost all of Europe.

They stayed at my place for a week and I took them all over LA, up to Santa Barbara, Las Vegas and the Grand Canyon.

They said the US absolutely blows Europe out of the water. They said it was literally the best trip of their lives (words from their mouths).

As they put it "Europe is for old people with boring lives."

To the guy who gave a list of his favorite cities: I have lived in NYC. LOL @ calling LA a dump and putting NYC as #1 spot. NYC is literally a garbage bin. I lived in Manhattan for a year. Never again.

Here's my view driving to work yesterday:

This is what I would have seen living in NYC:

Don't even get me started on the food scene. LA > rest of the country.

Pizza in NYC = garbage. NYC has ruined pizza. Talking about ruining pizza:

As far as where I live, no I'm not a millionaire. I make 110k/yr, I'm 28, male, single, straight, no debt besides my car and work in West LA.

What do I love about LA?

Climate, food scene, endless outdoor activity options, car culture (cities where it requires public transportation/walking are extremely inconvenient. I know because I lived in NYC), proximity to Hawaii & Mexico, talking about Mexico: Mexican food, beaches, mountains, forests, deserts, talking about deserts: Coachella, proximity to Vegas, celebrity central, non-stop entertainment, the list goes on and on and on and on.

Old 02-04-2015, 10:36 AM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,414,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTraveler2011 View Post
They said the US absolutely blows Europe out of the water. They said it was literally the best trip of their lives (words from their mouths).

As they put it "Europe is for old people with boring lives."

To the guy who gave a list of his favorite cities: I have lived in NYC. LOL @ calling LA a dump and putting NYC as #1 spot. NYC is literally a garbage bin. I lived in Manhattan for a year. Never again.

Don't even get me started on the food scene. LA > rest of the country.

Pizza in NYC = garbage. NYC has ruined pizza. Talking about ruining pizza:

As far as where I live, no I'm not a millionaire. I make 110k/yr

car culture (cities where it requires public transportation/walking are extremely inconvenient. I know because I lived in NYC)
I've never seen so many false statements in one post.

Old 02-04-2015, 10:40 AM

1,365 posts, read 2,246,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
I've never seen so many false statements in one post.
LOL @ you thinking I'm lying.

Old 02-04-2015, 10:48 AM

8,342 posts, read 6,426,948 times
LA is a santuary city and you pay to educate there kids, welfare, subsidised housing, food stamps, breakfast, lunch and dinner at school. afterschool baybysitting, Hit and run wrecking your car and injuring you and your family.
Highest income tax, gas tax in the nation, Car registration renewal is much higher then most states, so is insurance, and smog check costs. Property tax constantly having additional costs added to it.

Old 02-04-2015, 10:51 AM

4,288 posts, read 2,058,815 times
It has been 40 years since I lived there but I loved the beaches in Huntington, Newport and Laguna and the fact that you can be fairly warm in February but go ski some powder in short time.
I heard it is better but in 1974 if your were in Montebello on a typical day you could not see the mountains. So I don't miss the smog.
I live in Long Island NY now and we have some traffic but the last time we visited LA the traffic was amazing (bad). We went from Irvine to see Hollywood and I am not exaggerating when I say it took around 3 hours. Irvine to Riverside took 2 hours.
Another thing you do not have in LA is the fall foilage that you can see in the northeast.
You also do not have NYC.

Most everywhere has their pluses and minuses.

Old 02-04-2015, 10:56 AM

2,821 posts, read 3,537,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore1954 View Post
It has been 40 years since I lived there but I loved the beaches in Huntington, Newport and Laguna
Thats OC, not LA. Yes, we have better beaches here too

Old 02-04-2015, 11:11 AM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,414,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTraveler2011 View Post
LOL @ you thinking I'm lying.
Well you're not lying, you just hold a very narrow view on those subjects.

Old 02-04-2015, 11:12 AM

88 posts, read 116,132 times
Highest income tax is not actually true. DC, VA and MD all have higher. I know because I just moved to the MD suburbs of DC. I'm paying $1000 more a year in income tax than I did in LA. That's on $75k. Car registration is prob correct though. My car insurance went up $20 a month for MD. There are more state mandated coverages in other states. Any insurance company will tell you that CA has the least requirements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
Highest income tax, gas tax in the nation, Car registration renewal is much higher then most states, so is insurance, and smog check costs. Property tax constantly having additional costs added to it.

Old 02-04-2015, 11:17 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,631,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
The truth according to your opinion, not everyone wants to live in that climate or environment full of arrogant attitudes.
Unfair statement. The people who have arrogant attitudes in LA are usually under 30, wear skinny jeans, and have lived in LA for a year or two at best, coming from the Midwest or back east(wink wink OP). Native Angelinos and long term residents don't act like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
I love LA but its too expensive for the average Joe. LA and NY cost of living is not fun.. I don't want to pay 1800 a month for a one bedroom apartment in the ghetto sorry.
$1,800 for a one bedroom in LA, otherwise it is in the ghetto? Embellish much, besides you're in KY. That would be like me assuming if you move to KY, you have to worry about the neighbors running a meth lab and blowing up the whole holler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbell75 View Post
It also lists NYC as the most friendly and helpful as well as the least friendliest and least helpful. In other words, that list is a joke.

OC>>>>LA>>>>NYC
I was in NYC in October, hadn't been in years even though I was born there and grew up outside the city. A few times I needed directions, things had changed(last time I took a subway they still had tokens), I had someone walk me to the correct platform, stopped two people on the street for directions and they couldn't be nicer, asked someone at Penn Station about a commuter train and they said "just stick with me, that's my train"(we also sat together).

New Yorkers are tough, but if you need directions they go out of their way to be helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeeps View Post
The resident OC lover LA hater is back. This post is legitimately scraping the random scum off the bottom of the ocean, bubbling it back up to the surface of the forums. Well done, OP.
It certainly is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles