Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2008, 08:45 AM

18 posts, read 51,047 times

Advertisements

Hi all -

A friend of mine and I are planning on moving to the Los Angeles area by the end of February/early March. I visited LA in September and I fell in love with the place. I have a bachelor's degree in Economics, and I currently work as a Financial Analyst.

I am turning 23 years old in February, and I am single. I feel that it will be awesome in terms of the cost of living to be able to split rent. I currently live in Rochester, MN (Mayo Clinic anyone?) which is a decent sized town of 100,000. However, I am craving the big city life and weather of LA and SoCal. I lived in London for 4 months, so I don't feel that living in huge city will be a shock to me.

I am currently doing the job search thing, and have posted my resume on Monster, Hot Jobs, and CareerBuilder. I have also applied to various companies in Finance around the LA area. Can anyone give me any other advice about trying to find a job in LA while living in the Midwest? It would be ideal to find a job before moving there if possible...

I would also just love to hear about places people would recommend to live as a young professional in LA. A friend of mine lives in Venice, about 1.5 miles from Venice Beach. I have also looked into the areas of Los Feliz, Santa Monica, WeHo, Westwood, Brentwood, and Echo Park. My friend and I are planning on a budget of 2000/month for a 2 bedroom place.

Any other advice about living in LA is welcome! Thank you so much for your help in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2008, 09:04 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbus5 View Post
Hi all -

A friend of mine and I are planning on moving to the Los Angeles area by the end of February/early March. I visited LA in September and I fell in love with the place. I have a bachelor's degree in Economics, and I currently work as a Financial Analyst.

I am turning 23 years old in February, and I am single. I feel that it will be awesome in terms of the cost of living to be able to split rent. I currently live in Rochester, MN (Mayo Clinic anyone?) which is a decent sized town of 100,000. However, I am craving the big city life and weather of LA and SoCal. I lived in London for 4 months, so I don't feel that living in huge city will be a shock to me.

I am currently doing the job search thing, and have posted my resume on Monster, Hot Jobs, and CareerBuilder. I have also applied to various companies in Finance around the LA area. Can anyone give me any other advice about trying to find a job in LA while living in the Midwest? It would be ideal to find a job before moving there if possible...

I would also just love to hear about places people would recommend to live as a young professional in LA. A friend of mine lives in Venice, about 1.5 miles from Venice Beach. I have also looked into the areas of Los Feliz, Santa Monica, WeHo, Westwood, Brentwood, and Echo Park. My friend and I are planning on a budget of 2000/month for a 2 bedroom place.

Any other advice about living in LA is welcome! Thank you so much for your help in advance.
You sound like you are doing everything right. Just an outside idea....can you get a job in your hometown and transfer out to LA?

I have heard that you can get a Vonage phone account with a LA prefix, to make it look like you live in LA. Your resume however will still have your MN address...not sure how to deal with that other than if you had an LA friend and used his address.

Old 01-09-2008, 12:59 PM

18 posts, read 51,047 times
I am not sure about using my current job and transferring out to LA. My company had said that they needed people out on the West Coast but I haven't heard anything about it lately.

How about other people from around the country that moved to LA. How did you find your first job out there? Did you wait until you actually moved, or did you find a job before moving?

Old 01-10-2008, 08:35 AM

1,287 posts, read 5,025,272 times
I think companies are less likely to hire and relocate someone for an entry level job. If you are established in your industry and are being recruited it’s a different story. I suggest you move here first and then start applying for jobs. You could temp until something permanent comes along. In fact you should probably call some temp agencies ahead of time to do a phone interview to see if they think they could place you once you got here. Oftentimes if you do well in the temp assignment, the company will hire you for one of their open positions down the line.

It's also important to network. If you went to college, I would begin by calling your Alumni Relations Office to get a list of contacts in the LA area who you could try to introduce yourself to once you get here.

I would also suggest that you have significant cash savings before coming here jobless. LA is expensive. Also a car will be essential, especially if you come here without a job. You will need it to get to job interviews, temp assignments, and to learn your way around town in general.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles