U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2015, 06:39 AM

3 posts, read 4,372 times

Advertisements

Thanks for everyone's input. I am a big planner. I have to make sure my family doesn't regret this move.
From what I have learned LA is awesome but way out of my budget. OC looks better option for me. I absolutely loved Mission Viejo and Yorba Linda . I am not here to brag about Texas. Neither am going to shun Texas because I thought SoCal looks better for my family. Houston is not a beautiful place like Austin but it is a great place for young families who start out . But for us , our kids will be leaving us for college in a few years and we want to make a life where we can spend some quality time together doing the things that we love. I think that kind of a life is possible in Socal with the kind of weather and the beauty. We have been in South east long enough that we have been to everywhere here. We don't have any family in Texas to tie us here. So if we get the right opportunity we want to move and explore California and nearby places. Everyone in my house is excited but we do have concerns about college and stuff. My son had set his mind on UT or A&M but now we are also looking into budget for colleges in Cali. and his options etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2015, 01:22 PM

9,716 posts, read 12,942,815 times
California has some great colleges. I wish I had gone to college here instead of where I went.

If you are looking towards retirement, there are several communities outside of Los Angeles where a lot of people retire to. Most of them are in the desert (Hemet, Lake Elsinore, Temecula, Palm Springs, San Diego, etc.) They are cheaper to live in yet you are still close enough to LA to do things here. It's also much easier to find the things you have in Texas (big home, gated community, etc.)

Old 02-10-2015, 02:05 PM

10,097 posts, read 7,014,960 times
Texas sweet, don't send your kids straight to university. Let them take advantage at the really great community colleges in California. You'll save money and if they do really well they'll have their pick at some excellent universities to choose from.

The CCs back in Texas kinda sucked and were overly expensive and had little resources. You'd rarely hear of a kid going from a CC to Rice or even UT Austin. But I've met professors and students who tell me to aim higher in my desires to go to university for my program. I've met kids who do well in CC and went to Berkeley and Cal Tech.

One thing California does right is higher education. Cal Poly Pomona is an excellent tech university with a great track record of getting new grads hired.

Old 02-10-2015, 07:55 PM

2,821 posts, read 2,613,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texastweet View Post
From what I have learned LA is awesome but way out of my budget. OC looks better option for me. I absolutely loved Mission Viejo and Yorba Linda
Huh? The median home price in LA county is $490k and its $570k in OC. Have you looked at home prices? OC is quite a bit more expensive than LA. Having said that, being from an area with master planned homes in TX, you would probably feel more at home in OC, especially the Irvine area. Gonna be tough with that budget though.

Old 02-11-2015, 05:13 AM

9,832 posts, read 7,322,836 times
I second Torrance. It seems to fit your needs perfectly--family oriented, good schools, within your budget. The amount of residents working in engineering/computer/science is double the national average.

Old 05-05-2015, 02:38 AM

9 posts, read 8,611 times
Hi, I am a Native California and have traveled CA. If you want the best place to live it is San Luis Obispo (SLO) , CA or Santa Barbara, CA. on the Central Coast of California. SLO is the best (Grover Beach, Pismo Beach, Arroyo Grande, Shell Beach, Avila Beach, San Luis Obispo City, Morro Bay, an Atascadero (Atascadero is hotter than the other towns in SLO Country) ). All are great areas in SLO Country. They have a small airport in SLO and a bigger one in Santa Maria which is about 30 to 40 minutes South of Arroyo Grande. We call SLO "just this side of Heaven"! Check it out.

If you want a bigger city it would have to be San Diego. Best Weather but traffic has picked up in most parts of California. Los Angels and Orange Country Traffice takes you 2 hours to go 20 miles so you need to do some research on traffic in the area you desire to live in.

San Diego - La Messa California (part of San Diego) is very nice and perfect weather and you are about 1/2 hour from the beach and you can buy a big house easier than other areas.

#1 San Luis Obispo.
#2 LA Messa, San Diego

Old 05-19-2015, 04:31 PM

523 posts, read 384,248 times
I don't really understand why you would move from a desirable Texas area to Southern California if your not in the Entertainment Industry. Socal is overrated, it's not a good place to live with families, and in the Los Angeles area, there are much more 20s to early 30s people before they have kids and leave this place. I think another place in Texas, in the South or anywhere else but California is a good bet.

Old 05-19-2015, 05:09 PM

4,155 posts, read 4,296,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrishawke View Post
I don't really understand why you would move from a desirable Texas area to Southern California if your not in the Entertainment Industry. Socal is overrated, it's not a good place to live with families, and in the Los Angeles area, there are much more 20s to early 30s people before they have kids and leave this place. I think another place in Texas, in the South or anywhere else but California is a good bet.
And I don't really understand your confusion when the OP specifically stated he/she was not happy with the weather in Texas and desires mountains and beaches. Millions of others have made the same choice and live happy lives here for the same reasons, because they can. Troll elsewhere if you can't.

Old 05-19-2015, 05:38 PM

363 posts, read 391,732 times
For $600K-$800K, Pasadena is not an option. Unfortunately, you're priced out of the market. Plus, the school district is ghastly, so you're looking at $7K in tuition for a (cheaper) Catholic elementary school and $17K for a so-so high school (my alma mater is $25K). I'm not really sure why Pasadena was suggested.

I have family in Simi Valley. From what I've heard, the schools are decent and the home prices are much more affordable.

Old 05-19-2015, 06:26 PM

268 posts, read 872,485 times
OP,
You can also consider moving to Austin? Weather is not that bad like Dallas/Houston. And lots of things to do comparing to Houston. Even though how much I love SoCal, but honestly I still think it's overrated. I wouldn't move to SoCal from Texas if I have kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles