Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2015, 09:39 AM

4 posts, read 11,844 times

Advertisements

Looking for some solid advice here. My soon to be wife is getting a promotion to work at her employer's facility in Santa Fe Springs and I am transferring to the LA post office processing and distribution center just south of downtown. Trying to find a good neighborhood with a fairly decent commute time for both of us. Every time I search I keep finding Downey, is that a decent area? Budget for rent is roughly $2000 per month, no kids so school district isn't an issue. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Last edited by Dj937; 02-12-2015 at 10:18 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2015, 03:25 PM

1,714 posts, read 3,852,365 times
Downey is pretty OK... take a look at Cerritos too if it's not too far for you.

Old 02-12-2015, 11:21 PM

671 posts, read 1,190,621 times
While Downey has some positives, it has some things that would find me never living there. For one thing traffic is quite serious there with freeways Cris-crossing parts of the city and the inability to cross them at some key points. I will also say that the population in Downey continues to go down-scale with Downey becoming more like its adjacent low-income, problem areas to the north, west, and south.

Consider adjacent or further cities to the east like Sante Fe Springs new housing, better parts of Norwalk, also La Mirada or Whittier. You can take fast moving streets from those places to your Postal job. Good luck.

Old 02-13-2015, 05:39 AM

Thank you both for your responses. So Downey is questionable? I'll definitely look into Cerritos, Whittier, Santa Fe Springs and La Mirada. Norwalk seems sketchy from what I've heard on here. Also, what are your thoughts on Lakewood and Cypress? I see they are a little farther south but have read on these forums that they both seem to be decent areas. Any help, comments and suggestions are welcome. We'll be taking a week long apartment hunting trip in late March so I'm trying to narrow it down to a few areas that we can focus on looking for a place.

Old 02-13-2015, 08:18 AM

2,963 posts, read 5,452,476 times
For location Downey is perfect, therefore it's fine. As long as you're not tied to a mortgage you're never stuck for long and it's better to position yourself with a comfortable commute to a new job first. Then once settled in you can figure out how far you're willing to commute. Find a decent apartment in Downey and rent for a year while exploring other options.

Old 02-13-2015, 08:32 AM

Bunjee that's exactly our plan, to rent for a year until we can see how the commute times are and get a feel as to where we want to finally settle in. We're coming from Ohio and have only been there twice so we really don't know the neighborhoods at all. Thanks for the advice!

Old 02-13-2015, 10:25 AM

2,963 posts, read 5,452,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dj937 View Post
Bunjee that's exactly our plan, to rent for a year until we can see how the commute times are and get a feel as to where we want to finally settle in. We're coming from Ohio and have only been there twice so we really don't know the neighborhoods at all. Thanks for the advice!
Yah, much of Downey is thoroughly nondescript, unremarkable, unexciting but by the same token you'll be fine. Even around "downtown Downey" you'll have restaurants close by. In fact I think there are apartments right there on Downey Ave near Our Lady of Perpetual Help Catholic church. Your mode seems start-up rather than settle-down, so no use trying to conjure the ideal lifestyle location right now. Congratulations on your new opportunity. A stress-free commute will benefit you as you get your feet wet on the coast.

Old 02-15-2015, 07:04 PM

329 posts, read 628,054 times
Downey is more than decent. It's actually quite nice. Of course there are some sketchy areas like most cities. Sure it's surrounded by some ghetto areas but overall it's a good place to live. City saw some hard times in the 90's and early 2000's but since then it has been turning around quite nicely. Still got my townhome in Downey and it's rented at a good rate and this area has 0% vacancy rate, I miss living there and I wouldn' hesitate to move back under right circumstances. Schools, while not excellent, are good/decent with increasing test scores every year. It has its own fire/police/school district and they're top notch.

Old 02-17-2015, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennychaser11 View Post
Downey is more than decent. It's actually quite nice. Of course there are some sketchy areas like most cities. Sure it's surrounded by some ghetto areas but overall it's a good place to live. City saw some hard times in the 90's and early 2000's but since then it has been turning around quite nicely. Still got my townhome in Downey and it's rented at a good rate and this area has 0% vacancy rate, I miss living there and I wouldn' hesitate to move back under right circumstances. Schools, while not excellent, are good/decent with increasing test scores every year. It has its own fire/police/school district and they're top notch.
Thanks for the advice! What are the better neighborhoods in Downey? From all I can gather I'm seeing the northern part of Downey is considered best, is that correct?

Old 02-17-2015, 08:42 AM

329 posts, read 628,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dj937 View Post
Thanks for the advice! What are the better neighborhoods in Downey? From all I can gather I'm seeing the northern part of Downey is considered best, is that correct?

Northeast is best. Northwest is decent/good. I would avoid southwest areas around 710/105 fwys. All others depends, not all south Downey is bad either. Areas bordering Bellflower/norwalk is ok too as long as you avoid older apartment complexes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles