U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Old 01-09-2008, 11:00 PM
4 posts, read 26,875 times
Reputation: 12


Hello all, I have a problem, looking for some help!

I've been living in my apartment for a year. I re-signed my lease for another year, but unfortunately a noisy fraternity has moved in nextdoor. They throw parties and make noise until late at night (1,2,3 AM). The quick-fix solution has been to file constant noise complaints and let the cops shut em down, but it gets repetitive (weekly ritual) and it's hardly effective since the noise restarts shortly after the police leaves.

Ideally, I'd like (all of us in this complex actually) to get these people EVICTED. How can I go about doing this?? Note that they live in a separate complex, or else I'd just talk to my landlord.

I recently researched the official college fraternity rules here at my university, and found that for all parties with 50+ guests (don't recall exact number) the organization must obtain a permit from the UCPD, and ID must be checked at the door in case alcohol is served. They obviously don't do that, and they've had multiple 100-200 "guest" parties. I just haven't had the patience to get video/photo evidence.
This week is "rush" week apparently, so they've been having "events" daily from 7-8PM until wee hours of the night. They do their little profane frat CHANT quite often and it's loud and obnoxious.

Granted I do live near a college campus and parties do occur every so often. But I did not sign up to live next to this type of constant noise.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?? I'm starting to go bald here, and it's way too early.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2008, 11:54 PM
636 posts, read 2,329,972 times
Reputation: 251
I assume you are referring to UCLA and, yes, it's rush week.

Have you contacted the UC police directly? How about looking at the UC website and contacting administration. Perhaps contacting the Fraternity administration directly?
Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2008, 08:48 PM
5,553 posts, read 6,081,044 times
Reputation: 5090
You may want to get some video to document the violations. When you do video tape it, also call the time and hold it up to the microphone so you can document the time. You may want to get a list from the police departments of how many times they were called to the house. Then as LaLady stated, go to the college administration. You might also send a letter to the head chapter of the fraternity.

Your last resort is to file a lawsuit against the fraternity.
Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2008, 02:14 AM
4 posts, read 26,875 times
Reputation: 12
Thank you both, sounds like some good advice.

The fraternity administration is not very helpful. After speaking with the president about the noise nothing really seems to have changed.

Video recordings are hard due to bad lighting at night. Would require me to get up close, and it might seem obvious that I'm gathering evidence against them.
What I did want to do is document a large party where alcohol is being served to underaged people, and/or ID's are not being checked, plus whatever craziness might be happening, and presenting this to the UC interfraternity council. But that would hardly be enough to get them evicted, worst that could happen is they get on probation and continue making noise in smaller groups (still very loud and harder to file noise complaints).

Are these people breaking any laws? What are the grounds on which a neighbor can get someone evicted? I did a search but didn't come up with anything concrete.
Perhaps put some pressure on their landlord so that he/she can kick them out?
Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2008, 08:42 AM
36 posts, read 169,440 times
Reputation: 28
I suggest you join the frat. and have some fun with them.
Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2008, 10:36 AM
Status: "12 years on C-D" (set 2 days ago)
Location: Shallow alcove hidden from the telescreen
2,777 posts, read 9,515,656 times
Reputation: 1397
Originally Posted by 2ill4brasil View Post
Are these people breaking any laws?
Law is what it'll ultimately come down to. There may be noise abatement, disturbing the peace, and other nuisance ordinances you can lean on, maybe even zoning ordinances, drunk-in-public, unlawful assembly, etc. You'll have to research. I dealt with a noisy-neighbor problem once and was told by the PD that according to the law, if the noise bothers me or even spills into my home, it's too loud. By law the offenders must stop if I request them to. The PD is best suited to deal with problems like this if they have legal ground as backup. It makes any action on the PD's part less subjective.

Have you tried researching the laws governing these things with the PD? Maybe they can tell you specifically which penal codes apply. Also, when you call the PD to report an existing noisy situation, tell them that you're willing to sign an official complaint. They must respond to you then. If you just call anonymous the PD will likely put your complaint to the bottom of the priority list. Don't be afraid to call the PD every time it happens. Make a pest out of yourself if you have to. After all, you're not the one being the pest -- the noisy neighbors are...
Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2008, 03:31 PM
Location: Living on the Coast in Oxnard CA
15,253 posts, read 24,609,356 times
Reputation: 19258
My thought is that you join the party. If you like what you see have some fun. If you don't like what you see stay and get as many neighbors as you can to also be a part of the party. Show up in your ratiest bath robe and mud on your face, with your hair up in rollers. Let them know that you will stop by everytime you hear the party going, because you love a party as much as the next person and since you can't sleep with the noise reminding you of the party then you jusst have an obligation to partake. If your obnoxious at each party I am sure that it won't take too many for them too cool it down.
Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2008, 04:24 PM
1,297 posts, read 4,846,301 times
Reputation: 552
Why dont you approach your landlord and advise him that the contract you re-signed is void. He is not providing you with quiet enjoyment of your unit.

Its only an apartment, not real estate that you own. Find another apt in westwood and make it better place all around. There are some nice developments that are currently for rent. Try closer to Veteran on the north side of Wilshire, and you may find a much quieter area or even So of Wilshire a block or two.

let your building owner fight the neighbors. Thats why you rent, so you dont have to deal with constant phone calls, video taping, survellance, letters etc.
Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2008, 04:35 PM
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
10,706 posts, read 30,335,493 times
Reputation: 6582
I feel for you, I think I would have a nervous breakdown. I am so very protective of my privacy and I can't stand the noise. I personally would check and see if you can't break your lease because of this detail.

Maybe recording the noise level would help. Always read the small print. In the mean time, you can purchase ear plugs in most pharmacies and Wal-Mart. It might be the only way you can sleep until this is sorted out.
Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2008, 06:03 PM
1,398 posts, read 5,925,984 times
Reputation: 1786
Here's some practical advice. Get someone else in your building or immediate neighborhood to call the police about a noise nuisance every time you do. Police never come for a single complaint. If the police don't come, log each and every instance of disturbing the peace, so that you can corroborate your complaints for your landlord or future police involvement.

And earplugs, any sort of noise maskers do nothing whatsoever. I live in an area where illegals blast outdoor music from stadium-worthy p.a. systems. One's windows shake, and DJ woofers are louder than any media one might have on in the house. It is hell.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top