Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2015, 03:36 PM

642 posts, read 2,552,587 times

Advertisements

I want to say raising a family would be better in Texas. But not if there is such a difference from your beliefs as to the conservative beliefs. I have lived somewhere where I was surrounded by people who were very conservative and judgemental. It was awful for me and my child. I don't know a lot about Texas but my brother seems to love it. Keeping in mind my brother is very conservative, very religious, very red state. But even he thought about moving to a more liberal area in Texas away from the Dallas area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2015, 04:16 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,171,221 times
Somebody posted this on another thread but it's worth reposting here. Dallas doesn't have this: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/15/tr...eles.html?_r=1

Does Dallas have anything comparable?

Old 02-17-2015, 04:36 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,209,468 times
Why would Dallas be better for raising a family? For a bigger house and lower COL, I suppose. But the only other answer I seem to get or see from forums like these is "conservative family values", in which the OP doesn't necessarily relate.

Old 02-17-2015, 04:44 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,470,242 times
I love people here saying Dallas is not liberal and progressive thats funny lol, not as much as LA but Dallas is a very progressive and diverse City its not a hillbilly town. I love LA and NYC people tend to think any place not on the East and West Coast is not sophisticated it cracks me up.

Old 02-17-2015, 07:08 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,209,468 times
I already said that Dallas is far from being a hick town and a solidly red area. But overall, politically, it's moderate at best, and much more in line with conservative ideology than LA, which seems like it'd be a politically-better fit city for the OP, among other things.

Old 02-18-2015, 01:05 AM

2,414 posts, read 3,487,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyegirl View Post
Thank you all for the comments, they are all really helpful. We would have a 650K budget for a home in LA, not near LAX, but over in Highland/Echo Park areas. I appreciate what both nmnita and Rem are saying about Dallas, basically the main differences are COL, weather and a few less cultural activities. Nmnita, you're right about the Texas stereotype, because it's one if my worries. I'm very pro gay marriage/choice/evolution/gun control, etc., and I don't want to live where I am in the complete minority, like where I live now. I realize Dallas is a large city with all kinds of people, a huge change from the small tourist town I'm stuck in now. I really appreciate all of the insight from everyone!
I'm gay, an unapologetic atheist, liberal democrat, that believes in evolution and climate change, I support reasonable gun control laws, and I also support choice & planned parenthood. I get by just fine in Dallas

Last edited by RonnieinDallas; 02-18-2015 at 01:14 AM..

Old 02-18-2015, 11:26 AM

170 posts, read 234,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieinDallas View Post
I'm gay, an unapologetic atheist, liberal democrat, that believes in evolution and climate change, I support reasonable gun control laws, and I also support choice & planned parenthood. I get by just fine in Dallas
You and I could totally hang out.

Old 02-18-2015, 12:16 PM

2,821 posts, read 3,538,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyegirl View Post
Thank you all for the comments, they are all really helpful. We would have a 650K budget for a home in LA, not near LAX, but over in Highland/Echo Park areas.
Wait, you are going to move to a ghetto dump like Highland Park or Echo Park rather than a great city like Dallas? Are you serious? Are you Mexican? HP is 72% Mexican and EP is like 70% Mexican and both are filled with gangs. Better pack your Raider hats, Dodger jerseys and guns. Please do some research before making a giant mistake.

http://www.lamag.com/citythinkblog/t...-of-echo-park/

Last edited by dexter14; 02-18-2015 at 12:32 PM..

Old 02-18-2015, 12:35 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,747,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texamichiforniasota View Post
As for comparing the two, focusing on the things you said in your original post, I would recommend LA over Dallas. The only caveat is if you are trying to save up money to retire early that will be easier in Dallas because of cheap housing. There are probably a couple of neighborhoods in Dallas that would work for you for amenities and maybe even semi-walkability, but you will be not infrequently reminded that you are living in one of the most conservative metros and one of the most religious metros in the country. The city itself is moderate vs the super-conservative burbs, so you may not notice it daily, but little things like people constantly asking you to pray for them or people complaining to you about minorities/liberals, just assuming you think the same as them if you are also white. It was annoying for me, but I mostly ignored it. It did, however, always make me feel out of place. It probably isn't any worse than SC though, so if you like it there, Dallas will probably seem fine.
Wait..what?

Liberal, Californian born Arab living in the Dallas area now (Plano). Ive been here for 5 years and Ive never encountered anything like what you describle. As a city I would categorize Dallas as left of center with the burbs ranging from moderate to pretty far to the right. Ive never been told someone would pray for me, Ive never been called a racial slur or even been stared at. I have an incredibly diverse group of friends here (gay, athiest, Christian, Muslim, black, white, Asian, and everything in between).

Look, I really dont get the exaggerations and stereotypes. Frankly, LA offers a lot more than Dallas but there is no reason to tear Dallas down into the stereotype that people want to have. Were here because there are more opprotunities for career advancement and we could buy a house. Weve found it to be a great fit. Im liberal and Ive never had problems. At all.

Old 02-18-2015, 12:41 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,747,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
Why would Dallas be better for raising a family? For a bigger house and lower COL, I suppose. But the only other answer I seem to get or see from forums like these is "conservative family values", in which the OP doesn't necessarily relate.
No, its not that. You can buy a house in a safe neighborhood and afford to do more with your kinds in Dallas. You can find "conservative family values" in LA and Dallas. I grew up in Torrance and its interchangable with Plano in this regard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbell75 View Post
Wait, you are going to move to a ghetto dump like Highland Park or Echo Park rather than a great city like Dallas? Are you serious? Are you Mexican? HP is 72% Mexican and EP is like 70% Mexican and both are filled with gangs. Better pack your Raider hats, Dodger jerseys and guns. Please do some research before making a giant mistake.

The Gangs of Echo Park - Los Angeles Magazine
Dallas has plenty of areas with Mexican gangs. Its just easier to afford to not live there in Dallas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
Somebody posted this on another thread but it's worth reposting here. Dallas doesn't have this: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/15/tr...eles.html?_r=1

Does Dallas have anything comparable?
Yes, Dallas does have something comparable, Dallas has a Koreatown. It has tons of authentic Korean restaurants, shops, bars, and karaoke bars. Im not going to pretend its anywhere near the size of K-Town in LA. But its the same stuff on about 1/5 the scale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles