U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 09:46 PM

4,214 posts, read 7,273,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelers1523 View Post
For example the Vermont in Koreatown has 2 br 2 bath listed between 2,800-4,500 and that places looks amazing and the reviews are great
WHAT?! who would pay that much for a two bedroon at wilshire and vermont? compeltely insane. and I thought it was bad people were paying about that much to live at santa monica and la brea...

sick times. those intersections used to be affordable and fun.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2015, 09:58 PM

1,855 posts, read 2,441,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruhms View Post
Please reconsider. LA doesn't need more gentrifiers.
Yes, it definitely doesn't have enough barrios and slums as it is.

Old 02-26-2015, 11:16 PM

539 posts, read 443,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled la native View Post
WHAT?! who would pay that much for a two bedroon at wilshire and vermont? compeltely insane. and I thought it was bad people were paying about that much to live at santa monica and la brea...

Idk there's that luxury hotel right up the block from there and a lot of other new developments...Koreatown is only gonna cost more and more

Old 02-27-2015, 12:09 AM

8 posts, read 13,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruhms View Post
Please reconsider. LA doesn't need more gentrifiers.
Hmm I looked this word up and didn't get a great definition.. Is it a hipster? *scratches head* if so, I'm not sure I belong in this category. and no I can't really reconsider. LA wasn't exactly my top choice as far as office location, but it was a job, which I wanted and needed, and now Im trying to figure out how to make the best of moving there. Thanks for your useless input anyway.

Old 02-27-2015, 12:14 AM

8 posts, read 13,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelers1523 View Post
There are a lot of big newer apartment buildings geared towards people in their 20s in Hollywood and Koreatown that have these types of amenities for around this price (especially if your whiling to get a 2 br w/ a roomate) and great access to metro to dtla. That is if your interested in living around all of the energy that comes with living in those areas.
Thanks for the tip! I'm gonna check out that area next weekend and see what I find. I'm definitely not sharing with a roommate though. For one thing, I don't know anyone in LA, and hunting for the perfect roommate right now seems too much of a hassle. Plus I'm really particular about a clean living space and I've always sorta been secretly annoyed with past & current roommates about this issue.

I've already scheduled some property visits with the downtown high rises. Hopefully they live up to the pictures.

Old 02-27-2015, 12:31 AM

1,235 posts, read 1,496,843 times
Quote:

Typical westsider view. Anything east of Fairfax is the ghetto. This isn't 1992.

Old 02-27-2015, 03:22 AM

4,214 posts, read 7,273,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetLegal View Post
Typical westsider view. Anything east of Fairfax is the ghetto. This isn't 1992.

It's still nuts to charge that much rent in a middle class or lower middle class area.

Old 02-28-2015, 09:27 PM

1,964 posts, read 2,819,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkcarnations View Post
the first year, i should be bringing in $80k with bonuses, if that makes it better? Haha. Yeah, it's not a great salary compared to other people who live in la, but the job market is really rough for people in my field right now, plus it was something i wanted to do. The firm i'll be working for is one of the best, so that's why i immediately accepted the offer. also, my salary should progress nicely as i put in more years at the firm.

as one seasoned professional to a young professional starting up always remember this: Management lies... Haha! Ok back on topic..

also, accounting firms are known for not offering much for entry-level positions. It's more about exit options or going for the partnership track, i guess. : )

the suggestion of culver city was good. You might also look at santa monica if you don't mind driving. The thing with dtla is that la is so decentralized and the downtown isn't the hub of lots of activities. Despite some "gentrification" of late, it's still got some heavy crime pockets as well. I did end up in a 20's style speakeasy called the edison in dtla a couple years ago. Interesting decor and lots of young people. I think sm would just have a lot more going on for someone like yourself. You might also want to consider a roommate, it would cut down on your expenses considerably and help you meet people so long as they aren't a total dud.. Good luck and enjoy youth!

-rr

Old 02-28-2015, 10:19 PM

3,041 posts, read 1,788,106 times
See what kind of incentive programs your company has for commuting using public transportation.

You can live in Burbank and take the train in to work, Culver City and take the the Metro, South Pas or Pasadena and ride Metro......

Lots of possibilities.

Old 03-01-2015, 08:28 PM

5,729 posts, read 13,724,868 times
Quote:
It's still nuts to charge that much rent in a middle class or lower middle class area.
I think Streetlegal is right. If it's lower middle class why are the rents in the area saying otherwise? This is not lower middle class.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles