Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 02:03 PM

8 posts, read 15,642 times

Advertisements

Hi all -

I'm currently living in San Diego, CA finishing my last semester of grad school. I got an offer 1 year out to work at an accounting firm in downtown LA. I've only been to LA a couple of times, so I don't really know the area too well. Before San Diego, I lived in Atlanta, Georgia all of my life, so the cost of living in California is still something I'm getting used to.

I'm really scared about being stuck in traffic all the time commuting to work. I was thinking of living in a studio or 1 bedroom in downtown LA possibly to avoid traffic and parking costs.

Do you guys have any suggestions on where to live? How to avoid crime-ridden areas? Where to hang out? I welcome all tips and suggestions.

More background on me:
- 26 year old single female
- Base Salary $75k + $5k bonus the first year
- I prefer living in an apartment community with a pool, amenities, etc.
- likes being active, the beach, etc
- Ideally, I'd pay up to $1700/month for an apartment. Anything more than that seems excessive for rent in my opinion. Plus I have a lot of students loans I'd like to pay off asap.

Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2015, 02:19 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,856,342 times
Here is an alternative to living downtown, though there is nothing wrong with living in DTLA at all: My wife works Downtown (Wilshire / Figueroa) and we live in downtown Pasadena. While she drives to work the vast majority of the time (more due to the nature of her employment than for convenience) it takes about 45 minutes each way. But if you live near Old Town Pasadena or any of the other Gold Line stops in downtown Pasadena (Fillmore, Del Mar, Memorial Park, Lake) you can get to Union Station in about 20-25 minutes and the center of DTLA (7th Street / Metro Center) in about 30-35 minutes. Pasadena is one of the most pedestrian-friendly areas of Los Angeles (though a separate municipality) - there are tons of walkable areas of LA but this is one area that seems to actually prioritize pedestrians, at least a little bit.

You do mention liking the beach (Pasadena is a world away from the ocean), so maybe if you want to be closer to the ocean you could try somewhere like Culver City, which is about as far from DTLA as Pasadena, but in the opposite direction. It is a bit longer on the Expo Line from Culver City to DTLA, perhaps more like 45 minutes (I'm not totally sure but I know it slows down a ton in South Park). Right now Culver City is as far as the Expo Line goes - in a few years it will go all the way to Santa Monica.

Of course, the best bet for you to avoid traffic is living in DTLA. If you are going to live downtown you just need to keep in mind it is still a transitioning neighborhood and has some rough spots. That being said it is the most exciting neighborhood (well, set of neighborhoods) in Los Angeles right now, as well as the most urban and walkable.

Old 02-26-2015, 02:21 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,194,951 times
you don't have to live downtown unless you'd prefer to walk to work. there are a number of transit lines that can get you downtown quite easily, which is an advantage as many downtown firms don't include the cost of parking in their compensation packages. with that said, you should probably be able to do better than $75k with a grad degree.

Old 02-26-2015, 03:11 PM

8 posts, read 15,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
you don't have to live downtown unless you'd prefer to walk to work. there are a number of transit lines that can get you downtown quite easily, which is an advantage as many downtown firms don't include the cost of parking in their compensation packages. with that said, you should probably be able to do better than $75k with a grad degree.
The first year, I should be bringing in $80k with bonuses, if that makes it better? Haha. Yeah, it's not a great salary compared to other people who live in LA, but the job market is really rough for people in my field right now, plus it was something I wanted to do. The firm I'll be working for is one of the best, so that's why I immediately accepted the offer. Also, my salary should progress nicely as I put in more years at the firm. Also, accounting firms are known for not offering much for entry-level positions. It's more about exit options or going for the partnership track, I guess. : )

Old 02-26-2015, 03:29 PM

1,238 posts, read 1,830,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkCarnations View Post
The first year, I should be bringing in $80k with bonuses, if that makes it better? Haha. Yeah, it's not a great salary compared to other people who live in LA, but the job market is really rough for people in my field right now, plus it was something I wanted to do. The firm I'll be working for is one of the best, so that's why I immediately accepted the offer. Also, my salary should progress nicely as I put in more years at the firm. Also, accounting firms are known for not offering much for entry-level positions. It's more about exit options or going for the partnership track, I guess. : )
Your salary is fine, don't worry.

Old 02-26-2015, 03:31 PM

170 posts, read 234,356 times
That's plenty of income. But for the housing budget, you might need to get closer to 1800 with the amenities you listed.

My wife and I are/were looking into downtown and our budget for a studio/one bedroom was around 1800-2000 and the majority of the lofts I was coming across were closer to 2k....

Old 02-26-2015, 06:36 PM

539 posts, read 523,542 times
There are a lot of big newer apartment buildings geared towards people in their 20s in Hollywood and Koreatown that have these types of amenities for around this price (especially if your whiling to get a 2 br w/ a roomate) and great access to metro to dtla. That is if your interested in living around all of the energy that comes with living in those areas.

Old 02-26-2015, 06:39 PM

For example the Vermont in Koreatown has 2 br 2 bath listed between 2,800-4,500 and that places looks amazing and the reviews are great

Old 02-26-2015, 07:49 PM

1,250 posts, read 1,488,691 times
Please reconsider. LA doesn't need more gentrifiers.

Old 02-26-2015, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruhms View Post
Please reconsider. LA doesn't need more gentrifiers.
UR an idiot
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles