Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which News Channel Do you Prefer?
Channel 2 5 8.06%
4 8 12.90%
5 13 20.97%
7 20 32.26%
9 7 11.29%
11 7 11.29%
13 2 3.23%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 12:11 AM

24,463 posts, read 33,147,114 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cre8 View Post
No offense, but I avoid FOX because I prefer professional journalism.

Fox News: truth (?), half-truths, truth according to spin masters on the right..., I don't trust 'em for journalism science.
Come on now... Fox News isn't any more biased than CNN or MSNBC. Most likely, less biased because you see the liberal side presented along with the conservative side.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2008, 12:14 AM

24,463 posts, read 33,147,114 times
Yeah, too bad about George, but he did have a long life.

I believe he had interviewed every president since Hoover (after he was out of office) up through the '90s except for Clinton.

I have many audio tapes I recorded of his show in the '90s (Talk Back, on KIEV, 870 AM). He was on that station from the early '70s up to around 2000.

One of the last pioneers of early TV.

Old 09-15-2008, 10:08 AM

2,916 posts, read 11,045,346 times
Default The corporate media won't report it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Come on now... Fox News isn't any more biased than CNN or MSNBC. Most likely, less biased because you see the liberal side presented along with the conservative side.
Agreed, which is the reason I avoid CNN and MSNBC along with FOX. I don't expect true journalism out of any of them. They are too corporate to be concerned about anything but ratings. Critical journalism -- one with analysis, that challenges assumptions and reports objectively -- is mostly dead and gone in the U.S. mainstream. It's turned into the "news" that won't rock the boat of big corporate interests and their cozy relationship with inside-beltway politicians.

Thank the Pentagon (and U.S. tax payers) for the Internet, where we (still) have access to international news sources "outside the bubble," as Harry Shrearer puts it, to find out what's really going on.

Old 09-15-2008, 02:03 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,210,857 times
I prefer the news shows with the best looking women anchors.

What I really dig is these news shows that have four liberal personalities and a single Conservative personality thrown in to get the "ballance" that news seems to lack today. So cool to watch any of the networks and many of the cable news shows for that "ballanced" news hour that they try to offer.

Old 09-15-2008, 02:17 PM

635 posts, read 1,742,339 times
Channel 2 and 9 are owned by the same company. They seem the most genuine. Channel 11 is to much pizzaz and not alot of substance, even though a good weatherman. Channel 4 is too old for me, and Channel 5 seems kinda shallow for me. Channel 7 seems to prepared like channel 11.

Old 09-15-2008, 03:18 PM

5,024 posts, read 8,868,145 times
I like Channel 7 and its anchor people. I like the Food Coach episodes. Then before I leave for work I watch some of Good Morning America.

Old 09-16-2008, 10:15 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,210,857 times
I just checked. My favorite is Jackie Johnson for the weather. She is beautifull. I also like Mia Lee, Suzie Suh and MaryBeth McDade. They are all at KCAL9, or on CBS2 the sister station. I also love how Julian looks on Good Day LA. There used to be another weather girl that I liked. Can't remember her name, she was also in a few movies I think.

Old 09-17-2008, 01:35 AM

15,083 posts, read 20,403,636 times
KTLA 5.

However, it was substantially better when Hal Fishman and Larry McCormick were the anchors. Nowadays, it is merely okay......so, I rely on internet news sites now.

Old 09-18-2008, 08:41 PM

1,162 posts, read 3,226,514 times
It's all pretty hideous, if you ask me (and you did). Paul Moyers is particularly annoying. I think Hal Fishman actually had some acumen as a real journalist. I liked Ralph Story (anyone remember him?) and Warren Olney who now hosts 'Which Way L.A." on KCRW. Story had a show on KCET about Los Angeles history that I enjoyed.

I get my news from BBC World Service, the LA Times (which has REALLY taken a slide- I would subscribe to the Washington Post if the Times gets much worse), and NPR. The local stuff on KPCC and KCRW is excellent. I support one or the other each year, largely because I abhor commercials.

Old 09-18-2008, 08:53 PM

1,162 posts, read 3,226,514 times
About a year ago I happened upon a Fox 'report' on a shooting south of downtown. The guy (Hal Eisner, I think) reported live with the Blue Line train behind him. His opening line: "There are two things you can be sure of in South-Central Los Angeles: the Blue Line, and crime in the street." Then he proceeded to describe some shooting that took place far away from his photo-op with the train. Come again...?

Why is FOX equating rapid transit with crime? There was no connection, it was just bizarre, not to mention totally irresponsible. I doubt the other stations are much better, sorry to say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles