Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2019, 08:00 PM

13,573 posts, read 15,514,456 times

Advertisements

I was in Glendale today, and drove through the downtown area around the main drag where the tower built by Glendale Federal still stands, and I could not believe what I was seeing and not seeing. Even though I wasn't too far from L.A., I saw streets and sidewalks that were well maintained, and I didn't see any graffiti or homeless people. I was immediately overwhelmed with envy, because quite honestly, even West L.A. is a manure-hole compared to Glendale. And at one point I was thinking, "I'm thirteenth generation American on my father's side of the family, but these Armenians have a far far far nicer city in which to live than do I." I wish I was Armenian simply to live in Glendale -- it's close to all the action in L.A., but it's a totally different bubble of life without all the filth you see when you cross the border back into L.A. Most of that is probably better policing and having city council members that tell their cops not to take any nonsense from the usual street rabble we see every day in L.A. Perhaps most others have a part in it as well, making certain elements feel unwelcome in their city, though I wasn't there long enough to make that determination.

Seriously, I was still digesting all this while filling up my car on San Vicente Blvd. in Brentwood whilst a homeless guy meandered around the gas station asking for money. Well damn...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2019, 08:31 PM

8,439 posts, read 10,859,137 times
If you can afford to pay rent in Los Angeles, you can afford to pay rent in Glendale.

Even if you travel on the side streets in Glendale, you don't see the garbage, and rubbish that you see on any street in Los Angeles.

I think the rest of the state could take a lesson from Glendale.

Bob.

Old 03-11-2019, 09:37 PM

2,352 posts, read 5,347,549 times
i was on my way to Pasadena recently and found myself in Glendale. Had no idea it was exclusively for Armenians? Its like Mayberry compared to West Hollywood.

I don't trust the underground tanks at The 76 station on san vaccinate. Those things must be at least 50 years old

Old 03-11-2019, 10:19 PM

3,049 posts, read 4,515,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
I was in Glendale today, and drove through the downtown area around the main drag where the tower built by Glendale Federal still stands, and I could not believe what I was seeing and not seeing. Even though I wasn't too far from L.A., I saw streets and sidewalks that were well maintained, and I didn't see any graffiti or homeless people. I was immediately overwhelmed with envy, because quite honestly, even West L.A. is a manure-hole compared to Glendale. And at one point I was thinking, "I'm thirteenth generation American on my father's side of the family, but these Armenians have a far far far nicer city in which to live than do I." I wish I was Armenian simply to live in Glendale -- it's close to all the action in L.A., but it's a totally different bubble of life without all the filth you see when you cross the border back into L.A. Most of that is probably better policing and having city council members that tell their cops not to take any nonsense from the usual street rabble we see every day in L.A. Perhaps most others have a part in it as well, making certain elements feel unwelcome in their city, though I wasn't there long enough to make that determination.

Seriously, I was still digesting all this while filling up my car on San Vicente Blvd. in Brentwood whilst a homeless guy meandered around the gas station asking for money. Well damn...
This is how much of Pasadena is, as well as South Pasadena, San Marino, Arcadia, LaCanada Flintridge.

All very clean and manicured.

Burbank tries, but they have the border of North Hollywood (City of LA) and Sun Valley (City of LA) to contend with.

Old 03-11-2019, 10:48 PM

427 posts, read 364,325 times
Lived in GEEE-LEN-DALE for 3 years. No thanks.

Old 03-11-2019, 11:09 PM

2,352 posts, read 5,347,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuscleCar View Post
Lived in GEEE-LEN-DALE for 3 years. No thanks.
What didn't you like? What I saw looked very pleasant

Old 03-11-2019, 11:14 PM

11,118 posts, read 7,856,538 times
Next time you’re in Glendale try Damon’s Steak House on N. Brand... Then walk a couple of doors south and have dessert at Porto’s Cuban Bakery! You and your taste buds will thank me. Lol

Old 03-12-2019, 12:41 AM

13,573 posts, read 15,514,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
Next time you’re in Glendale try Damon’s Steak House on N. Brand... Then walk a couple of doors south and have dessert at Porto’s Cuban Bakery! You and your taste buds will thank me. Lol
I'll consider that. When I was there today I stopped at the Sears, and even that was a better than usual experience.

Old 03-12-2019, 12:47 AM

9,808 posts, read 11,068,398 times
Yeah Glendale is run so much better than LA. It remains a law and order town largely due to the lack of regressives. That said, there are.many drawbacks that I’d PM you about if you like. Houses in the foothills (“cheap” by LA stndards )are nice and there are ample places to eat etc. however, it has some issues and is hot as hell in summer.

Old 03-12-2019, 01:23 AM

55 posts, read 52,850 times
OP i’m interested to hear in what you think of neighborhooding Burbank? I was saw them two as sister cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles