Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2015, 09:45 PM

415 posts, read 606,668 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are considering a move to Calabasas. We are originally from New Orleans and have a 6 year old mildly autistic son. We have three old dogs and a decent idea of housing prices. I've researched the schools and they sound good statistically however is anyone aware of their autism programs or private school options? Weather wise I understand that Calabasas is a little hotter however the lower humidity compared to the coast makes up for it to me. But any additional insight on humidity and weather would be great. Also how are the communities within the neighborhoods? Friendly, snobby, etc... We'd be looking at single family 3000-4000 sq ft homes for reference. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2015, 10:27 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,186,024 times
Calabasas is a high end suburb. A 3000+sf will probably cost you close to $2M.

Old 03-12-2015, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
Calabasas is a high end suburb. A 3000+sf will probably cost you close to $2M.
Yeah I saw that on Realtor.com. Any other insight into the area?

Old 03-12-2015, 11:44 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,186,024 times
pros:
1. good schools
2. easy access to entertainment/shopping/dining
3. family friendly
4. neighborhoods are generally new and very nice
5. fairly easy drive to the beach
6. lots of nearby outdoor activities such as hiking and cycling (road and mountain)

cons:
1. hot in the summer, 100+ temps are not uncommon
2. traffic on the 101 is mostly terrible
3. far from central LA amenities and major job centers (except for warner center)

other considerations:
many celebrities live in the area, including the kardashians. bieber used to live there, but has since moved out.

my wife's grandmother lives just outside of calabasas city limits off of mulholland and the scenery is gorgeous. it gets rural very quickly once you head south or west from calabasas, which may or may not be a good thing to you. there are horse properties and stables nearby as well as as some famous private schools (including one run by the wife of James Cameron).

having said that, whenever I visit the more urban areas of calabasas i do get a bit of a snob vibe. people who live there tend to have quite a bit of money. drive around any of the parking lots in the area and you'll see what i mean. i don't think we're talking about showy people either. drive by the high school on a school day and you'll see some very nice cars parked on the street that belong to the students. that being said, if you have the funds to live there and don't have to commute too far, it seems like an idyllic suburb to raise a family.

Old 03-14-2015, 05:21 PM

How is the humidity typically in that area?

Old 03-14-2015, 05:30 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,033,072 times
Generally, very low humidity almost everywhere in SoCal. When the Santa Ana winds blow, even at the beach. Invest in a lot of lotion and lip balm. Calabasas is near to one of the hottest areas in the LA metro, Woodland Hills, BTW. Temps of 112 there last summer. And it's 90+ today.

Old 03-14-2015, 05:45 PM

23,511 posts, read 23,980,674 times
I worked out there for a few years while in SoCal.

Pluses:

1/ Good schools.
2/ Somewhat isolated from the rest of LA County.
3/ High end, upper middle income environment.
4/ Safe.

Minuses:

5/ Hot and dry.
6/ Really, one way in and out (101 freeway) and if there's an accident, you'll be stuck.
7/ Traffic on 101 can be bad during rush hour.

I didn't find the folks there to be snobby, but typical SoCal folks

Old 03-23-2015, 09:54 PM

73 posts, read 119,128 times
Great choice, Calabasas is one of the best neighborhoods in Southern California. Like said above, it's a very affluent neighbrohod, extremely safe, especially for LA standards, life in Calabasas is simple, calm, peaceful, and scenic. Perfect California vibe. Welcome to Calabasas!

Old 03-24-2015, 02:24 AM

1,927 posts, read 1,899,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
Generally, very low humidity almost everywhere in SoCal. When the Santa Ana winds blow, even at the beach.
True. But those Santa Ana winds don't blow often. These past few weeks have been pretty humid here in Santa Monica due to the marine layer.

Old 03-24-2015, 04:26 AM

1,235 posts, read 1,768,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metairie View Post
How is the humidity typically in that area?
Honestly, since you are coming from New Orleans I would not worry about the climate of Calabasas. You are in for a major upgrade in climate. The humidity is low in Calabasas and even if the summer days get warm they are multitudes more comfortable than N.O. And the summer evenings are usually pretty pleasant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles