Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 08:47 AM

11,839 posts, read 28,954,115 times

Advertisements

There's a lot of good information in this thread. Perhaps someone could have a moderator add it to an informational thread for your area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2008, 12:09 PM

276 posts, read 1,018,992 times
I do not know much about the gun laws, however does anyone have information on what happens if you are caught with an unregistered gun in your car?

My poor neighbor who is 80 years old has her grandson living with her and he had his car impounded by LAPD, and when they serched the car he had a gun (do not know what type) and they took the gun. She said he told them that it was his grandmothers gun. So she is so worried about him. He is not a gang type and he is a man, not a kid.

Anyone know if he may be in trouble?

Thanks

Old 11-12-2008, 12:23 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,612,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzyNola View Post
I do not know much about the gun laws, however does anyone have information on what happens if you are caught with an unregistered gun in your car?

My poor neighbor who is 80 years old has her grandson living with her and he had his car impounded by LAPD, and when they serched the car he had a gun (do not know what type) and they took the gun. She said he told them that it was his grandmothers gun. So she is so worried about him. He is not a gang type and he is a man, not a kid.

Anyone know if he may be in trouble?

Thanks
Well the fact they impounded his car shows he was in trouble already.
If the gun was unloaded it would be a lighter charge, LA county does require guns to be in locked cases in cars. They will tell you it is a state law but it is only a So CA law.

If the gun was loaded he is facing a concealed weapon charge. Add that to whatever charges were made.

Old 11-12-2008, 12:34 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,612,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavid93225 View Post
,,,,, If someone cannot take or pass the exam, possibly due to financial hardship, they are prohibited, in effect, from being able to acquire a handgun (perhaps through inheritance, for example). What happened to their "right" to keep and bear arms?
In CA there is no gun inheritance. BATF now comes to your home upon your death and takes all firearms.
My family has standing orders to all remove guns upon any of our deaths before calling the authorities. My father, father in law, myself, etc.

Old 11-12-2008, 01:07 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,342,958 times
If you plan on buying a gun, please take the time to learn to use the gun. Practice every aspect of using the firearm safely. Learn to shoot the thing. And when confronted by someone that is about to cause bodily harm know in advance what you are going to do. I love my weapons. But I also enjoy the training that I do to learn how to use them. I just read about too many people that buy a gun and when the time to use the weapon is needed someone gets hurt that is not the intended target. Having a gun doesn't make you safe, knowing how to use it does.

Old 11-12-2008, 03:31 PM

276 posts, read 1,018,992 times
Thanks for responding!

I do no know if the gun was locked in a case or loaded or not. I would have to ask the grandmother. She is worried that he told them (LAPD) that the gun was hers, and wondering if she will be in any trouble (you know how older folks are) and I told her that I did not think she was in any trouble, but maybe he would be in some trouble, and that was the reason for my post because I really had no clue! LOL

Thanks again for your response, and have a great remainder of the day~

Old 11-12-2008, 03:54 PM

1,297 posts, read 5,509,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
In CA there is no gun inheritance. BATF now comes to your home upon your death and takes all firearms.
My family has standing orders to all remove guns upon any of our deaths before calling the authorities. My father, father in law, myself, etc.
So if you die, the BATF comes to your home and removes the guns?

Is that the case when you die, decay, and your neighbors call the cops because of the smell.
Or are you saying they monitor the hospitals and death certificates then match them against gun ownership records?

Old 11-12-2008, 04:02 PM

1,297 posts, read 5,509,223 times
Here is another bit of info that may be useful..

When driving with a firearm, keep the firearm in the trunk and the amo on the floor of the back seat or in the glove box.

Also, Do not advise any officer that you have a firearm in the car unless he wants to do a search.

Old 11-13-2008, 02:27 AM

956 posts, read 3,002,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greggd View Post
Here is another bit of info that may be useful..

When driving with a firearm, keep the firearm in the trunk and the amo on the floor of the back seat or in the glove box.

Also, Do not advise any officer that you have a firearm in the car unless he wants to do a search.
You can also use a gun safe with separate compartments for gun and ammo, which is also legal in CA unless the law changed recently.

Old 01-19-2009, 09:35 AM

3,051 posts, read 11,591,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Full-Blooded American View Post
You can also use a gun safe with separate compartments for gun and ammo, which is also legal in CA unless the law changed recently.
The gun(s) need to be stored in a locked container, separate from the ammunition. The trunk of a vehicle is considered a locked container, as long as it cannot be accessed from inside the vehicle, the lock is in good working order, and the trunk is locked closed. The gun safe mentioned above would comply, as long as the separate compartments can be (and are) locked individually. If both compartments can be accessed by removing just one lock, I'm not sure if it would be considered compliant by California standards. I believe that if the guns and ammo are both kept in separately locked containers, and are not accessible to the driver or passengers while the vehicle is being driven, then the law is being complied with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles