U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-13-2008, 10:50 PM
 
13 posts, read 115,462 times
Reputation: 17
Default Gun Ownership

I plan on moving to Los Angeles sometime in 2008. Can a law-abiding (no criminal record) citizen living in Los Angeles legally own a handgun in the city limits? If yes, what are all the requirements of legally purchasing and owning a handgun in LA including registration if any? Also if yes, are there any restrictions?

It is not my intention to have this thread be a pro-gun or anti-gun debate, so please answer the question directly without bias.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-13-2008, 11:02 PM
 
Location: So Cal
320 posts, read 1,201,577 times
Reputation: 97
perfectly legal as long as the guns are NOT on the Banned list, most high capacity assualt rifles.
You simply need to register your guns with the local PD, though IMO its a bad idea. they don't need to know what I have or how many I have.
as far as purchasing goes the gun stores take care of all the paperwork for you, you buy adn wait for the arrproval I beleive its still 14 or 15 days for any gun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2008, 11:39 PM
 
5,468 posts, read 7,847,140 times
Reputation: 1444
There is a lot of information here: Bureau of Firearms - California Dept. of Justice - Office of the Attorney General
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2008, 09:08 AM
 
1,210 posts, read 104,384 times
Reputation: 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by Entrepreneur View Post
I plan on moving to Los Angeles sometime in 2008. Can a law-abiding (no criminal record) citizen living in Los Angeles legally own a handgun in the city limits? If yes, what are all the requirements of legally purchasing and owning a handgun in LA including registration if any? Also if yes, are there any restrictions?

It is not my intention to have this thread be a pro-gun or anti-gun debate, so please answer the question directly without bias.

Thanks!
All of what outofsocal said is right on but let me add to it.
As far as I know their is no place in the area to target shoot. You have to go into the forest to a paid shooting range. The police are so paranoid about guns
( I don't blame them ) they want to shoot first and then fined out why you have it. So be sure you carry it legal in your car. No problem having it loaded and ready in your home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2008, 09:29 AM
 
Location: Way on the outskirts of LA LA land.
3,043 posts, read 7,352,081 times
Reputation: 1827
Any person, 21 years old or older, who can legally own a firearm (non-felon, not mentally ill, etc.) can purchase and own a handgun in Los Angeles. There are specific guns that can be sold in California, as determined by the CA DOJ (Dept. of Justice). These guns have passed the DOJ's safety checks, which includes a "drop" test. This test is where a loaded firearm is dropped to see if it will fire. Also, you can not purchase any magazine with a capacity over 10 rounds in California (except for law enforcement). In L.A. there is also a ban on so called "Saturday Night Specials." By definition, these are small, inexpensive handguns that are easily concealed.

There is a one gun a month law in CA, where purchases of handguns can only be made one at a time, and only once every 30 days. I'm not certain, but the same might even apply to long guns within the City of Los Angeles. There is also a 10 day waiting period for purchases of all firearms within California, except curios and relics of a certain age. There are not many gun shops within L.A. city limits any more, mostly due to the regulation of the industry. Many of the surrounding cities have gun shops, though, and L.A. city residents can purchase guns there. Also, for ammunition purchases within the L.A. city limits, a fingerprint must be provided at time of purchase.

Assault weapons are another story, where most of them are banned in CA. There is a long list of firearms that are considered by the CA DOJ to be assault weapons. If someone had one before the ban, they could "keep" it provided it was registered with the CA DOJ. (If the person who had it passed away, they could not pass it on to their heirs, hence the quotation marks on the work keep.) There again, you can not purchase a magazine with a capacity in excess of 10 rounds.

I've tried to include as many details as I can about purchasing guns in L.A., though I may have forgotten some of the details. I hope this helps in understanding gun laws in L.A. and the state of CA. If you have other questions, feel free to ask. If I can't answer them, someone on this forum should be able to. Also, any firearms dealer in or near L.A. should be able to answer these questions for you when you're ready to buy something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2008, 09:34 AM
 
Location: Way on the outskirts of LA LA land.
3,043 posts, read 7,352,081 times
Reputation: 1827
Quote:
Originally Posted by junkman18 View Post
All of what outofsocal said is right on but let me add to it.
As far as I know their is no place in the area to target shoot. You have to go into the forest to a paid shooting range. The police are so paranoid about guns
( I don't blame them ) they want to shoot first and then fined out why you have it. So be sure you carry it legal in your car. No problem having it loaded and ready in your home.
A lot of this is true, except the need to go to the forest. There are some indoor ranges that are within L.A. city limits, and others in nearby cities. I know of at least one in the Northridge area of L.A., and another in neighboring Burbank. As for outdoor ranges, there are several in the forest areas, and Oak Tree gun range in the Newhall pass, just north of the L.A. city limits. You have to pay to use any of these places. I don't know of any free places to shoot that are very close to L.A.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2008, 11:37 AM
 
1,210 posts, read 104,384 times
Reputation: 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavid93225 View Post
A lot of this is true, except the need to go to the forest. There are some indoor ranges that are within L.A. city limits, and others in nearby cities. I know of at least one in the Northridge area of L.A., and another in neighboring Burbank. As for outdoor ranges, there are several in the forest areas, and Oak Tree gun range in the Newhall pass, just north of the L.A. city limits. You have to pay to use any of these places. I don't know of any free places to shoot that are very close to L.A.
Good glad to hear about the indoor ranges, The OP will need to know that if he doesn't already
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2008, 11:47 AM
 
1,210 posts, read 104,384 times
Reputation: 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavid93225 View Post
Any person, 21 years old or older, who can legally own a firearm (non-felon, not mentally ill, etc.) can purchase and own a handgun in Los Angeles. There are specific guns that can be sold in California, as determined by the CA DOJ (Dept. of Justice). These guns have passed the DOJ's safety checks, which includes a "drop" test. This test is where a loaded firearm is dropped to see if it will fire. Also, you can not purchase any magazine with a capacity over 10 rounds in California (except for law enforcement). In L.A. there is also a ban on so called "Saturday Night Specials." By definition, these are small, inexpensive handguns that are easily concealed.

There is a one gun a month law in CA, where purchases of handguns can only be made one at a time, and only once every 30 days. I'm not certain, but the same might even apply to long guns within the City of Los Angeles. There is also a 10 day waiting period for purchases of all firearms within California, except curios and relics of a certain age. There are not many gun shops within L.A. city limits any more, mostly due to the regulation of the industry. Many of the surrounding cities have gun shops, though, and L.A. city residents can purchase guns there. Also, for ammunition purchases within the L.A. city limits, a fingerprint must be provided at time of purchase.

Assault weapons are another story, where most of them are banned in CA. There is a long list of firearms that are considered by the CA DOJ to be assault weapons. If someone had one before the ban, they could "keep" it provided it was registered with the CA DOJ. (If the person who had it passed away, they could not pass it on to their heirs, hence the quotation marks on the work keep.) There again, you can not purchase a magazine with a capacity in excess of 10 rounds.

I've tried to include as many details as I can about purchasing guns in L.A., though I may have forgotten some of the details. I hope this helps in understanding gun laws in L.A. and the state of CA. If you have other questions, feel free to ask. If I can't answer them, someone on this forum should be able to. Also, any firearms dealer in or near L.A. should be able to answer these questions for you when you're ready to buy something.
All these laws are a few of many reasons why we moved out of California.
Its to bad that all the misuse of guns by these gang type people are blamed on the guns. And all of us are under the thumb of the law because of what they do. But I guess I can understand it.

Thanks for the information, It is a good post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2008, 09:49 PM
 
13 posts, read 115,462 times
Reputation: 17
Default Sweet

Hey, thanks a lot for the very good replies!

That Bureau of Firearms link was very informational and filled with lots of content. I find it interesting that you have to take a handgun safety test prior to receiving a handgun that you purchase in Cali. I feel that should be an option however, as I already have plenty of experience with firearms and safety. I may just buy the handgun first where I currently live as there would be much less hassle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2008, 02:07 AM
 
Location: Columbia, California
6,536 posts, read 14,478,128 times
Reputation: 4611
Quote:
Originally Posted by Entrepreneur View Post
.,,, "I feel that should be an option however, as I already have plenty of experience with firearms and safety".,,
So claims all immigrants! You are welcome to stay in any state that values your opinion over state law.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top