U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 02:23 PM

16 posts, read 32,330 times

Advertisements

I love it here. I relocated here for the 2nd time 3 years ago from NYC. The first time I tried it out here I HATED it here. The driving, the traffic, the lack of community, the isolation -the only thing I loved was the weather. You can't beat LA weather.

When I came out here the 2nd time I knew that location was EVERYTHING in LA. I needed to walk, to have people on the street of all ethnicities, of all ages, straight and gay (I'm a lesbain btw). I knew I couldn't live on the west side - too homogeneous for me - too much driving to get groceries or to go out to eat, too much traffic and congestion...

I LOVE where I live and it makes all the difference. I live in Los Feliz and I can walk to everything. Several movie theaters, healthfood store, grocery stores, tons of restaurants, bars, cafes, boutique shops, an independent bookstore - everything I need within close walking distance. And if I am wililng to walk for 30 - 45 minutes? I am at Hollywood and Highland and the Arclight or I am at Trader Joes and even Glendale.

I live in a great building where as neighbors we actually talk to each other and help each other out. I found an amazing spiritual community at Agape in Culver City (the commute is a drag but I love it there) and I have some really great friends that I see regularly. The neighborhood is really key for me. Geography is everything here. it decides who your friends are and what the overall quality of your life is. I bike to work when I can (over by UCLA so it's not a short ride but it beats going to the gym) and walk everywhere else. Griffith Park is right there for hiking or biking. Going to and from Agape is the only time I am really in my car. So, if nothing else live near where you work and life (and your valuable time!) opens up in a whole new way!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2008, 04:02 PM

830 posts, read 1,854,357 times
I moved here from Dallas about three and a half years ago, and I love it here. There are only two things I don't like about LA: 1) the traffic, and 2) the cost of housing. The traffic is here to stay for now, but the cost of housing will come down pretty significantly over the next few years, so that leaves just one thing. The traffic.

However, the other day I was bitching to my mom about being stuck in traffic. She still lives in Dallas. She works 7 miles from her office. It has taken her over an hour to get home. So is LA traffic really all that bad compared to other large cities? Maybe it's worse on average, but I don't think all that much so.

What LA offers is an incredible mix of people; a plethora of things to do, regardless of your interests; the ability to be yourself without being looked down upon because you don't fit the mold; the weather; the proximity to so many wonderful things, like state parks, the beach, the mountains, etc.

For me, I ride motorcycles, so the ability to ride year round, the ability to lane split, the proximity to so many wonderful, twisty mountain roads to ride on the weekends, and the proximity to so many race tracks for track days is absolutely fantastic. Things like this just don't exist in many parts of the country.

The nightlife is endless, whether you want to go to a dive bar, a swanky club, a local theater, a big broadway type production, a comedy club, whatever, you can find it here, and with many options for each.

I don't know, I guess I could go on and on.

Yeah, the traffic sucks and it does get crowded. I will never accept the traffic, because I think there can be plenty of things done to improve it. But I actually like the crowds. It makes you feel alive, in my opinion. And given that the population is so diverse in LA, being amongst peoples of the world makes you realize there is much more to life than what most of us consider to be life.

Old 01-18-2008, 05:54 PM

170 posts, read 732,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakehorror View Post
it's cheap to live here though and many CA natives are flooding in here by the herds...you pay for what you get.

You're joking right?? NYC blows LA out of the water when i comes to cost of living.

Old 01-18-2008, 06:00 PM

170 posts, read 732,557 times
LA does seem like a cool place, it always has. People in the NYC area are always talking bad about LA. It cants be that bad right?

People make LA out to be a war zone with all these gangs, terrible pollution and traffic that you cant breath, and flooded with illegal immigrants.

But i'm sure people say these things about NYC. While they are true, its not a war zone. People live normal lives. So i'm guessing its the same with LA, right?

Old 01-18-2008, 07:16 PM

26,362 posts, read 55,988,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoman View Post
I moved here from Dallas about three and a half years ago, and I love it here. There are only two things I don't like about LA: 1) the traffic, and 2) the cost of housing. The traffic is here to stay for now, but the cost of housing will come down pretty significantly over the next few years, so that leaves just one thing. The traffic.

However, the other day I was bitching to my mom about being stuck in traffic. She still lives in Dallas. She works 7 miles from her office. It has taken her over an hour to get home. So is LA traffic really all that bad compared to other large cities? Maybe it's worse on average, but I don't think all that much so.

What LA offers is an incredible mix of people; a plethora of things to do, regardless of your interests; the ability to be yourself without being looked down upon because you don't fit the mold; the weather; the proximity to so many wonderful things, like state parks, the beach, the mountains, etc.

For me, I ride motorcycles, so the ability to ride year round, the ability to lane split, the proximity to so many wonderful, twisty mountain roads to ride on the weekends, and the proximity to so many race tracks for track days is absolutely fantastic. Things like this just don't exist in many parts of the country.

The nightlife is endless, whether you want to go to a dive bar, a swanky club, a local theater, a big broadway type production, a comedy club, whatever, you can find it here, and with many options for each.

I don't know, I guess I could go on and on.

Yeah, the traffic sucks and it does get crowded. I will never accept the traffic, because I think there can be plenty of things done to improve it. But I actually like the crowds. It makes you feel alive, in my opinion. And given that the population is so diverse in LA, being amongst peoples of the world makes you realize there is much more to life than what most of us consider to be life.
(I'm assuming you are single and if so) If you get married and have kid(s), do you think you will stay?

Old 01-22-2008, 02:04 AM

2,833 posts, read 3,400,556 times
What's the secret to liking LA? I don't know.

If you were here in the 80's or 90's, it's not the same at all. It's fallen by 50-75%, traffic, cost of living. The sense of community, sense of commonality. That's what I miss alot.

Obviously, it never had the sense of a community of a small town or smaller city, but it was very different. It depends alot on when you came here, and what you compare it with. If you've lived here a long time, its not the same at all.

But there's still alot that keeps me here...

-I love the Hollywood Bowl, esp the summer. That's one of a kind.

-The weather...even the may gray, and the overcast days. That's fine by me. If its 75% sunny, 20% overcast, 5% windy, rainy, great.

The Giants, Packers game on sunday! Geez. 25 below. People here can't even comprehend that. The coldest weather I've ever been in, maybe 5-10 degrees. Today was kind of cold, but man, you dont even have to think about the weather most days.

And all the variety, entertainment, things to see. You could live here your whole life and never see everything.

People are crazy, but at the same time they're very tolerant and open. It still suprises me that everyone gets along, rich, poor, legal, illegal, english, non english, lifetime resident, tourist. Go anywhere....a sporting event, the beach, an amusement park, mall, white, black, whatever it is, everyone gets along.

Old 01-22-2008, 03:01 AM

128 posts, read 543,563 times
Mexicans. Everytime I go outside LA, first thing I notice is that there are no Mexicans. I think there are too many of them here, then you leave, and wonder how on earth could anyone live without them.

Luckily for me, my family has had a home before the runup of prices and it's gonna be cold day in hell before we leave that. Cuz there's no turning back from leaving LA.

Right now, LA is gorgeous after the rain. Everything gets cleaned up, the mountains, the sky get ****-and-spanned cleaned by the rain. More importantly, the air gets cleaned up. Clean air + LA weather = WIN! It feels like a warm blanket outside. Green mountains are one thing, but the views of the alpine snow-cap on the mountains makes San Francisco Bay look like a toilet bowl in comparison when it comes to views.

Views. There is nothing quiet like it in the US like they are here in LA. Just a couple of minutes off the 101 exit and you're careening down the Santa Monica Canyons with its gorgeous views. Coming down on the 101 from the Valley, and the views of Hollywood are spectacular. Up to Pasadena on the 134/210, to your right is a collection of 'hoods that takes you back to Tuscany or Provence. You can find views, different kinds, in different spots throughout the city. What ties all of this is that this is DAILY occurence. They make commutes that much more tolerable.

Diversity. Other cities do nothing else but talk talk talk "diversity" to the point that it has become contrived. Diversity just happens to LA. What would you expect in a county of 88 cities not to mention dozens more in surrounding areas. The City does its liberal best to foist separatist multiculturalism, but it's pure rapacious capitalism that forces Koreans to speak Spanish and vice-versa. LA doesn't do diversity in tokens. It does it en masse. It's funny for Bay Area people to how diverse they are because this and that restaurant happens to serve Insert-Third-World-Country-Cuisine-Here. Parts of LA are third-world countries. People that barely speak English run cities here.

I love love how large it is and how fast it is to get from Point A to B (outside rush hour of course). I adore how the world changes here in an LA minute. I, unlike so many in this board, love to explore the little places that make up this place. Whether it Downtown Burbank, Claremont, Topanga, Brea, La Quinta, etc., the little gems, the proud small (some big like Long Beach) that do have walkable downtowns. Cities that have mixed-use before the term for it were invented. Nobody else does suburbs better than LA. NONE. The concept that suburbs are inherently inferior places is East-Coast thinking, and if you've been back East, it shows.

Old 01-22-2008, 10:43 AM

32 posts, read 176,006 times
The best thing about California "Cali" is the WWW

Weed, Women, and Weather; it doesn't get much better then that.

Old 01-22-2008, 11:25 AM

1,719 posts, read 4,668,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
You have to have a good sense of humor to enjoy LA. Without a good sense of humor, you'll always be miserable.
Either that or be stupid?
Let's all laugh at the illegal immigration and graffiti....aaahahahahaha
And we're increasing our white blood cells too.
60 year old homes selling close to 1 million with 1200sqft and 2 bedrooms...ahahahahah hilarious.

Old 01-22-2008, 11:28 AM

1,719 posts, read 4,668,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by windsurfingiskewl View Post
You're joking right?? NYC blows LA out of the water when i comes to cost of living.
He is from Indiana...pretty sure he meant IN.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles