Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2015, 11:45 PM

15,331 posts, read 23,771,714 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
Even though Chicago has the strictest Democrat party gun control laws in the nation there were 49 murders there last weekend and that is par for the coarsel.
There were not 49 murders last weekend in Chicago and it's not even close to normal. Between 1/1 and 5/16/2015, there's been 135 homicides in the city of Chicago. You honestly think that one weekend saw 49 of them, or over 35% of the previous year's total? If you really believe this, then I have some great real estate opportunities in a swamp to sell you right now. If you're going to talk about this stuff, then get your facts straight. The number you are quoting is shootings, and even then there were 32 shootings last weekend, not 49 (20 on the south side, 11 on the west side, and 1 on the north in Uptown). Unfortunately there were some deaths, but it was around 5 to 7 homicides.

Also, if you want to bring up gun control laws, then you have to understand what most people don't. Chicago borders Indiana essentially, which is very easy to get a gun in. There are also suburbs right nearby with much more lax laws where you can get it. You could literally drive 15 minutes from one of the worst areas of Chicago and be in Indiana at a gun shop. There have been gang members essentially making fun of the city for having the gun laws because it's so easy to hop into Indiana and get one. This is a major reason why it just doesn't work there and won't. Most people don't realize this though.

It's basically like having a city with a drinking age of 25, but every single place around it has its legal age as 21. Then everyone wonders why everybody who's 22 years old comes back to the city drunk, yet can't see that every single area right around it has different laws. The city was dumb to have its legal age higher than every single place around it in the first place.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2...gun-trafficker

Last edited by marothisu; 05-25-2015 at 12:07 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2015, 03:12 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,763,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steeps View Post
Enjoyed reading through the WHOLE THREAD . Very civil and complementary, to my favorite Big city Chicago too. But WAS Soooooo TRUE. What someone said about? If this was New Yorkers in the NYC thread. They would show no mercy in downplaying Chicago . They would to LA too? But still to them it is NYC and LA, maybe SF and just the rest... Oh and never say Chicago is a smaller version of NYC... To them ..... you just insulted the Greatest City in the World. .
Chicago, Los Angeles, and San Francisco are among the world's greatest cities; i don't give a damn about NYC's "validation" of any of them.

Old 05-25-2015, 01:57 PM

1,259 posts, read 1,395,035 times
I've been there twice, I loved the city, could see myself living there if it wasn't for the winter, a hidden gem among international cities.

Old 05-26-2015, 09:20 AM

280 posts, read 323,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
Even though Chicago has the strictest Democrat party gun control laws in the nation there were 49 murders there last weekend and that is par for the coarsel.
Again with this false statistic. Where do you get your news? That did not happen (and I clarified it the other thread where you quoted that number).

Old 05-27-2015, 11:27 AM

1,564 posts, read 1,655,896 times
Love Chicago like the next person, Been there one time to help move a friend to Atlanta & in my opinion has one of the greatest downtowns in the country, Plus the food is great but outside of that Chicago is just another Midwest city .

The thing that separates Los Angeles from most cities is that outside of the Downtown area Los Angeles still has other city centers to explore like Hollywood, Santa monica, K town,Wilshire, Universal CityWalk & more .

Far as the summer go, i think Miami, Atlanta,Vegas,L.A & N.y.c are better than Chicago by far in the summertime

Old 05-27-2015, 11:34 AM

1,564 posts, read 1,655,896 times
It's interesting that all the bashing people do on Los Angeles from other cities,People from N.y.c & Chicago move to Los Angeles more than the other way around so i think it's just a pride & ego thing between the biggest cities.

Old 05-27-2015, 12:13 PM

325 posts, read 253,861 times
My view on Chicago is this: I tell my foreign friends when visiting the US that Chicago is a "all-American" big city and great for a 2-3 day visit (late Spring to mid-autumn only); arguably a more enjoyable experience than New York. This is almost exactly the same sentiment I have on visiting San Diego as opposed to LA.

I go to Chicago several times a year for work and have many friends there. Great, world-class city for a late spring or early-Fall visit. Great food. Easy to walk around and explore without a car. Definite sense of culture and civic awareness. Plenty of "hidden" places and neighborhoods worth seeing. I would MUCH rather live in LA, but Chicago is a great place that I never get sick of visiting, and I can only say good things about it (aside from the bitter, soul-crushing cold).

Old 05-27-2015, 01:57 PM

6,330 posts, read 7,681,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerty124 View Post
Hi everyone, I am interested to hear your opinions about Chicago. Have you ever visited? How was your experience there? If you haven't visited, what are your opinions about Chicago? Would you ever visit?
Not counting in and out of the airport, I have never visited Chicago and have absolutely no desire to do so. I'm sure there are nice areas and interesting things to see and do, but all I hear about is the high crime rate, unending political corruption, and brutal winters. There are too many other beautiful, interesting places to visit.

Old 05-27-2015, 02:01 PM

1,584 posts, read 2,071,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
Not counting in and out of the airport, I have never visited Chicago and have absolutely no desire to do so. I'm sure there are nice areas and interesting things to see and do, but all I hear about is the high crime rate, unending political corruption, and brutal winters. There are too many other beautiful, interesting places to visit.
As long as you don't visit between November and March, none of those will affect you.

Chicago is a cool city with great food and drink, a lot of museums and a really cool aquarium right on the lake if you're into that, a great music and comedy scene, as well as being one of the best sports towns in the country if that appeals to anyone. No, I'm not from Chicago.

Old 05-27-2015, 02:02 PM

6,330 posts, read 7,681,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Between 1/1 and 5/16/2015, there's been 135 homicides in the city of Chicago.
HOLY BASURA, BATMAN! That's incredible and almost unbelieveable. May 16th was the 136th day of the year. That's one homicide each and every day!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles