Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2015, 11:49 AM

371 posts, read 425,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
Ok, your real intent on this thread is now painfully obvious.

OMG DC is so hip and cool and LA is so lame-O!

No, I'm still wondering if I'll miss it. I don't mind the Mexican population, I'm just not used to them. Their communities are jam packed and I always hit traffic when driving through them. When I go to the Walmart in Santa Ana, it's always more crowded than the one in Huntington Beach. I prefer to shop in the Mexican communities though because it's more lively. Honestly, I don't care for the beach or the nightlife here, Hollywood is okay, but it's low energy. I do like the weather though. Don't like the propaganda. I like people who come to California, who aren't from California because they're adventurous. Everyone is different, but I find that the people who are from California are always trying to prove something and they think California is the whole world. I describe California to my family as, "as assimilationists paradise". The Mexican girls with blonde hair, the black women with weave, every guy with the macklemore haircut. I do like the weather though...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2015, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatedcu View Post
It's clear, you cannot make it here. Go back to DC and warn others about L.A. I hope we loss about 4 million people so that my pay increases and traffic decreases.

Who give a sh&t about what's new, what's trending. The only thing I care about is putting food on the table and a roof over my head. Welcome to reality!

^This is partly the attitude that I dislike about Californians. I understand life is all about putting food on the table, but too many people in LA are scraping by while the top 5% lives. It's disheartening to see, and not every US city is like this. Income inequality is a California issue more than any other state. Then you have people talking about "going to college isn't worth it" when every single statistic says that it is more than worth it-->only in California. The weather here is nice though.

Old 04-16-2015, 12:00 PM

426 posts, read 423,717 times
The difference between the haves and the have not increase as the city becomes more global. You, like the rest of us, are in the have not.

Old 04-16-2015, 12:17 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,409,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diallomacedo View Post
One can't look at percentages to compare, you have to look at both the sheer number AND percentages to make an accurate comparison. For example, University of Maryland, people say it is diverse, and on paper it is. 55% white, 15% Asian, 15% black, the rest other, and the university has 40,000 students. These are the percentages. However, when you walk on campus in the morning, the first 500 people you see are white. It is overwhelmingly white, but one cannot see that through looking at percentages. Its the NUMBER and the PERCENTAGE. So please. LA does have more crime because it has more people.
Terrible argument. LA Basin alone is nearly as populous as the entire DC Metro. Of course there will be more total crime, it's much bigger. On average though, it's much safer.

Using your logic, NYC is more dangerous than Newark because there's more crime in sheers numbers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
Ok, your real intent on this thread is now painfully obvious.

OMG DC is so hip and cool and LA is so lame-O!
Which is patently ridiculous. Bethesda and Poolesville, trendsetters?Haha.

Note the use of "East coast" in his post. Read: Riding NYC's coattails.

Go start a thread on city vs city. Let's see how many agree that DC is more hip than Los Angeles. Come back and tell us how much you were laughed at.

Last edited by RaymondChandlerLives; 04-16-2015 at 12:43 PM..

Old 04-16-2015, 12:29 PM

426 posts, read 423,717 times
Give the guy a break. He's just lonely and is home sick.

Old 04-16-2015, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
Terrible argument. The city of LA Basin alone is nearly as populous as the entire DC Metro. Of course there will be more total crime, it's much bigger. On average though, it's much safer.

Using your logic, NYC is more dangerous than Newark because there's more crime in sheers numbers.

Which is patently ridiculous. Bethesda and Poolesville, trendsetters?Haha.

Note the use of "East coast" in his post. Read: Riding NYC's coattails.

Go start a thread on city vs city. Let's see how many agree that DC is more hip than Los Angeles. Come back and tell us how much you were laughed at.

You picked the worst areas in the DMV to compare the trends to LA. Bethesda and Poolesville might as well be Los Angeles in the matter of time that they take to catch on to trends too. I'm talking about DC, and Silver Spring, MD mostly. Maybe it's not the city that takes long to hop on to trends, maybe it's the population...I guess Majority white areas take a little longer to catch on to things, but I've always known this.

Also, your comment about NYC...Some people there are dated too! It's more up to date than LA, but I see more baggy clothes in NYC than I do in DC. NYC does catch onto trends at the same rate as DC though, besides the dressing.

Toronto is the most up-to-date city that I've visited, with trends, style of dress, and city renovation, but it's not America so I can't compare it to a US city.

Cali has no slang by the way. Cali's slang is the US's slang because of Cali's never ending propaganda spread across the US.

Old 04-16-2015, 01:15 PM

2,986 posts, read 4,575,132 times
you should really move back to DC. Yes, you likely miss LA but you will be happier back in DC....you can tell from your posts that is where you belong

Old 04-16-2015, 02:08 PM

Off to DC.

Old 04-16-2015, 03:02 PM

2,222 posts, read 2,343,582 times
OMG, you're shallower then a valley girl !
Go do your vision quest and find out what's really important about life other then hair, clothes, and hip hop music.
Maybe one day you'll evove out of your low self esteem growth needs and find some spirtual self-actualization.

Old 04-16-2015, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickofDiamonds View Post
OMG, you're shallower then a valley girl !
Go do your vision quest and find out what's really important about life other then hair, clothes, and hip hop music.
Maybe one day you'll evove out of your low self esteem growth needs and find some spirtual self-actualization.

To be honest I'm moving back to be around "the community", and I'm going to enroll in Howard Law, then when I come out, I'm going to create a nonprofit to diversify historically white neighborhoods, until every single neighborhood has equal representation of all races. No more blockbusting, no more "white flight", no more white people segregating themselves and taking the resources needed to succeed in American society with them. Nope. No more. Say goodbye to the typical all white upper-middle class neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles