Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2016, 10:37 PM

184 posts, read 135,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theraven24 View Post
I love In-N-Out's fries.
Most don't agree..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2016, 10:40 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,454,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacanegro View Post
I only ate there once but I thought it was okay. In the east we have SteakNShake; $4 for double chees(steak)burger and fries. Best burger deal on the market IMHO.
They opened one recently in Burbank...Im pretty sure the first one to open in the L.A area is the one in Santa Monica...I remember there was kind of a similar hype /excitement when that opened.
I tried Steak N Shake once and thought it was alright but not amazing prices were reasonable.
I thought IN N OUT's burgers were better...but they definitely have more selection, so it's not really a fair comparison.

This is the Burbank menu for anyone interested
https://s3.amazonaws.com/cdn2/Steakn...16/Burbank.pdf

Old 03-22-2016, 10:58 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,562,808 times
Quote:
I do. I love In-N-Out's fries. They're some of my favorites, and they're better than Shake Shack's.
Me too. Fresh potatoes fried in vegetable oil, salted to taste. Somehow, that escapes some people.

Old 03-22-2016, 10:58 PM

2,436 posts, read 2,794,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tribes View Post
Most don't agree..
What's your point?

Old 03-22-2016, 11:02 PM

2,436 posts, read 2,794,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
Me too. Fresh potatoes fried in vegetable oil, salted to taste. Somehow, that escapes some people.
Agreed, I can eat them regular or animal style.

Old 03-22-2016, 11:03 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,454,917 times
IN N OUT changed their fries, they used to be kind of soggy and limp..but I would ask for them well done..Then I noticed they started cooking them more and it's less necessary to ask for them well done.

Old 03-22-2016, 11:35 PM

184 posts, read 135,570 times
Quote:
What's your point?
??

.. its like unanimous...

Old 03-23-2016, 12:10 AM

662 posts, read 1,281,912 times
I like crinkle cut fries. They’re fat and full of potato, and remind me of greasy roadside diner fries. The ones at Shake Shack look a little too thin for my liking, though.

I never go to 5 guys, but I will say their fries are top notch. for the simple fact that they using peanut oil, which is the best vegetable frying fat there is. I also like the highly seasoned, loosely formed patties that make their burgers really juicy. The problem is that everything else on the burger is really subpar. They use Krafts cheese which is terrible, the bun is mediocre and I dislike the foil wrap which steams the burger a little.

For those who never had McDonalds fries pre-1990, you will never understand the pleasure, nor why they were considered iconic. This was a time they fried in pure beef tallow. Those were the days. Now, you can only some type of animal fat fries at super high-end restaurants. Everyone uses vegetable oil.

Old 03-23-2016, 12:16 AM

662 posts, read 1,281,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MordinSolus View Post
The meat at Umami might be higher quality, but it sure doesn't taste like it. It's underseasoned and bland. And I'm over the egg fad. It's messy and the flavor of the yolk is overpowered by the cheese, toasted bun and meat.

WTF am I reading? Even when they're double-cooked the fries at In N Out are worse than most fast food fries. Who the hell loves In N Out fries?
I agree the egg on top of everything trend is overdone. But Umami does it well to the point that it overcomes trend. I don’t agree that it’s overwhelmed by the the rest of the ingredients. It’s perfectly balanced, and it’s role is more for textural contrast anyway. And you can always get it without the egg.

And the oven tried tomato adds really good depth along with the parmesan crisp. It pretty much lives up to the name of the restaurant and what it’s trying to achieve.

Old 03-23-2016, 12:43 AM

4,156 posts, read 5,562,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tribes View Post
??

.. its like unanimous...
Except it's like not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles