Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2015, 10:16 AM

2,436 posts, read 2,794,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatAngMoh View Post
A neighborhood doesn't have to be white to be any good IMO. In fact some are better because they are not white IMO. Whites don't define any standard of quality for a neighborhood IMO. Any number of cities in the SGV such as Arcadia and San Marino shows that. Same for Iranian Jew enclaves such as Beverly Hills and Newport Coast. Ditto Ladera Heights for Blacks.
I never said the presence of whites in a neighborhood automatically make that neighborhood better. I simply said whites used to be in certain parts of South Central, something that has changed over the decades.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2015, 01:29 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,600,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatAngMoh View Post
A neighborhood doesn't have to be white to be any good IMO. In fact some are better because they are not white IMO. Whites don't define any standard of quality for a neighborhood IMO. Any number of cities in the SGV such as Arcadia and San Marino shows that. Same for Iranian Jew enclaves such as Beverly Hills and Newport Coast. Ditto Ladera Heights for Blacks.
Very few Persian Jews in Newport Coast. OC's Iranian population is as Muslim's as Iran's itself,unlike L.A.'s which has an overrepresentation of Jews and Christians and is only about half Muslim.

Old 04-26-2015, 03:20 PM

12,386 posts, read 8,149,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Horizons View Post
All you hear about is how bad it was in the 80's and 90's. Of course the LA riots left a permanent visual etching in brains across the US as we watched it on TV. But...I bet there was alot of fun action happening too. Parties, cruising down Crenshaw, big cookouts at the park. I know, I've watched too many movies. Any of you all have any fun stories of south central in prior decades? As a former addict myself, the hood is where you go when you need your stuff, and the delivery man isn't working.
If I am remembering the novel correctly Joseph Wambaugh's description of life along Western Avenue in the early 60s in The New Centurions sounds like the next major street to the west, Crenshaw BLVD of the 70s

Old 04-26-2015, 03:47 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,813,341 times
In the 80s I lived 2 blocks from Western and Santa Monica Bl. I never had any trouble until MS13 moved into the area.

Old 04-26-2015, 04:58 PM

822 posts, read 1,284,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theraven24 View Post
I never said the presence of whites in a neighborhood automatically make that neighborhood better. I simply said whites used to be in certain parts of South Central, something that has changed over the decades.
OK no worries. My misread. No harm no foul.

Old 04-27-2015, 12:45 PM

90 posts, read 89,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie2101 View Post
In the 80s I lived 2 blocks from Western and Santa Monica Bl. I never had any trouble until MS13 moved into the area.
Traveling much further south, I grew up off Slauson and Western. This was during the late 70's through 2010. I saw the area change dramatically, mainly after the '92 riots. Racial tensions amongst blacks and Hispanics became more obvious as Hispanic families began moving in the area. (Similar to that of white flight of the 50's and 60's.)

With several rival Crip and Blood gangs being within blocks of one another, a few scuffles sparked up. It wasn't all bad, but there were certainly some rough days. Long hot summers were not uncommon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles