U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-27-2015, 05:40 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles (Native)
25,274 posts, read 15,355,792 times
Reputation: 12118

Advertisements

It seems there has been a trend that when a case like the Freddie Gray case happens in another city, there is usually something that happens in L.A, where people protests too.

Do you think things will happen in L.A? It seems that a lot of the violence is attributed to the gangs Crips and Bloods. Since they aren't as strong in L.A nowadays do you think things are different than they would of been in the past?

Hopefully nothing happens here and that the violence stops in Baltimore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-27-2015, 05:50 PM
 
Location: South Bay
7,115 posts, read 19,046,719 times
Reputation: 3366
hopefully we don't have a bunch of idiots create a human blockade on the freeway again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2015, 05:53 PM
 
Location: Elysium
6,576 posts, read 3,631,003 times
Reputation: 4563
Last time around while the Crips lead the beatings of all lighter skinned people along Florence it was communist and anarchist demonstrating in front of Parker Center which got the TV camera coverage after night fall and the killing began.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2015, 06:03 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles (Native)
25,274 posts, read 15,355,792 times
Reputation: 12118
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
hopefully we don't have a bunch of idiots create a human blockade on the freeway again.
Yeah hopefully not..looks like there is something planned for Thursday ..didn't see anything in the more mainstream sites.


I dug this up...

____
While the nation is focused on the civil unrest in Baltimore that grew out of the still unexplained death of Freddie Gray at the hands on that city’s police department, a rally for Freddie Gray is scheduled for Los Angeles.
Specifically, the National Action Network a leading Los Angeles civil rights organization will hold a vigil and rally in memory of Freddie Gray, the young African American man who died in police custody in Baltimore. Michael Brown Sr., father of Michael Brown killed by police in Ferguson, Missouri is a confirmed special guest speaker.
When: Thursday, April 30
Time: 6:00 pm
Location: Leimert Park
Crenshaw and Vernon

Read more at Freddie Gray Rally Set for LA – Michael Brown’s Father to Speak

_____
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2015, 06:08 PM
 
Location: Elysium
6,576 posts, read 3,631,003 times
Reputation: 4563
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Time: 6:00 pm
Location: Leimert Park
Crenshaw and Vernon


_____
Unless this turns out to be something major needing a Reverend King to lead the site is out of walking distance to a freeway. They can mess up a city street already messed up by subway construction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2015, 07:46 PM
 
822 posts, read 987,769 times
Reputation: 640
IMO the spark for the riots is not the gangs. Its decades of institutional racism following the horror of slavery. These things like the awful Freddie Gray murder ignite the injustices of the past. Until this country comes to full terms with its past and not try to sweep it under the rug things will always ignite. I don't condone the response but its my understanding of the reasons for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2015, 08:29 PM
 
Location: West Hollywood, CA
490 posts, read 489,857 times
Reputation: 525
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatAngMoh View Post
IMO the spark for the riots is not the gangs. Its decades of institutional racism following the horror of slavery. These things like the awful Freddie Gray murder ignite the injustices of the past. Until this country comes to full terms with its past and not try to sweep it under the rug things will always ignite. I don't condone the response but its my understanding of the reasons for it.
I partially agree with you, the black community is just fed up with the systemic racism in this country. Black people too often serve as scapegoats and have too many negative stereotypes tied to them. However, although much of the systemic/institutionalized racism is a result of slavery, most Black people are not angry about slavery. In fact, blacks probably think about slavery less than Whites.

I think the only way we can move on as a society is to talk more openly about race, too often it is treated as a taboo topic. The more we talk about it, the more we'll understand each other, the less we'll stereotype.

About the possibility of rioting, I don't see it likely happening, our Black neighborhoods are increasingly diverse and I don't see much of a epicenter for racial rioting to happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2015, 08:56 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles (Native)
25,274 posts, read 15,355,792 times
Reputation: 12118
Quote:
Originally Posted by IM90046 View Post
I partially agree with you, the black community is just fed up with the systemic racism in this country. Black people too often serve as scapegoats and have too many negative stereotypes tied to them. However, although much of the systemic/institutionalized racism is a result of slavery, most Black people are not angry about slavery. In fact, blacks probably think about slavery less than Whites.

I think the only way we can move on as a society is to talk more openly about race, too often it is treated as a taboo topic. The more we talk about it, the more we'll understand each other, the less we'll stereotype.

About the possibility of rioting, I don't see it likely happening, our Black neighborhoods are increasingly diverse and I don't see much of a epicenter for racial rioting to happen.
I am wondering in what platform there could be more talk about race? Also for the people currently causing problems and violence in Baltimore, do you think they would actually engage in an open conversation about race?

Also, as in many similar cases that have become national news, there isn't any indication that the officers were racist.

Oftentimes an issue by default automatically seems to be about race.

This seems to be the new media fad.

I also think the huge media attention makes things worse. There are a lot of people out there that just want to be part of the action and get the chance to be on national or worldwide TV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2015, 09:01 PM
 
822 posts, read 987,769 times
Reputation: 640
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
I am wondering in what platform there could be more talk about race? Also for the people currently causing problems and violence in Baltimore, do you think they would actually engage in an open conversation about race?

Also, as in many similar cases that have become national news, there isn't any indication that the officers were racist.

Oftentimes an issue by default automatically seems to be about race.

This seems to be the new media fad.

I also think the huge media attention makes things worse. There are a lot of people out there that just want to be part of the action and get the chance to be on national or worldwide TV.
Dialogue is impossible IMO when you have folks like Sharpton assuming representation for all Black people. And on the other end of the spectrum you have people like Rush Limbaugh assuming they are the voice for whites. There was nothing to demonstrate the officers were racist. No specific data point has been revealed. But through the lens of the Black community this is an extension of Jim Crow era lynchings when a Black kid could be picked randomly for any crime on a white person, even for looking at a white woman.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2015, 09:06 PM
 
822 posts, read 987,769 times
Reputation: 640
And yes its a spectacle. Remember in '92 the Rodney King Riots were as much about an economic windfall for people as it was about justice not being served. A lot of the looting was done by Hispanics who took the opportunity to grab what they could for free. I think most didn't even understand the historical context of the riots but it didn't matter.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0lCdRZngG4
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top