Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2015, 08:08 PM

26,717 posts, read 26,776,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Year-round beautiful weather? Sure, if you like 100-degree heat, no rain, and tons of smog.
Where did you live in greater L.A. that had that?

Quote:
There's no space left in Southern California, and you pay for it in traffic, overcrowded schools, water shortages, and wildfires.
No space left? You must not have traveled much while you lived here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2015, 06:20 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,682,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Where did you live in greater L.A. that had that?

No space left? You must not have traveled much while you lived here.
Haha! Good one. I only lived there for 25 years or so. We left in 2008 and made you a little more room.

Old 06-25-2015, 07:30 AM

755 posts, read 674,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 909er View Post
Bahahahahaha!!!! IF you think you're fooling anybody with that malarkey you need to wake up earlier. While it is true for some folks, for the majority of SoCal residents it is not.
Those are the people you are NOT competing against!

People who give up, **** and moan and complain, and do nothing; yea there are many of them, too many, but those people are not stopping you from making it California or live, you are stopping yourself!

Like I showed you earlier; there isn't one person I know that doesn't live well in SoCal who didn't work hard.

Hard works pays off. Perseverance pays off. Characteristics like drive, fortitude, can do attitude, discipline, passion, focus, determination, being well trained, being well educated, being reliable, being an asset, and patience will get you what you need ANYWHERE.
Quote:

While it is true for some folks
That's malarkey and an excuse. Not to go off topic and change it to race, but that long list of occupations I gave you are all people who are African Americans....So please don't go there with that everyone doesn't have an equal chance crap. You make an equal chance by doing the right thing and the smart thing.....

What a load. When I hear kids say "its not fair," that it pisses me off and I have to educated them on the perception of live and their attitude, but when a full grown adult believes that Make it fair!

Old 06-25-2015, 08:27 AM

2,811 posts, read 5,623,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmac1 View Post
That could be true....so

OP
If you are going to make less, yes your FINANCIAL quality of life would be better, but not necessarily your overall quality of life. But, your financial quality is most important IMO, if you are surviving versus "living.".

But, if you can have the basic necessities in SOCal, like a home, enough money to vacation, and save for retirement and such, I'd rather be in California. If I retire with a little less money and a smaller home in SoCal, but I know I lived my life to the fullest, you can't place a number on that.

If you work hard, you can make it anywhere, so why not make it in California vs Nebraska? I can drive 1 1/2 to Bakersfield if I want to visit Nebraska, if you drive 1 1/2 outside of Lincoln....you are still nowhere.

My siblings and I (5 boys and 1 girl) all moved out of the Midwest to California when we graduated high school and never looked back.

The Midwest is cool, but the West is best

Higher cost be damned.
Excellent post!! I am from Lincoln, Nebraska, and moved west 5 years ago never looking back. It is SO true that 1.5 hours outside of Lincoln you are still nowhere. You have to drive 8 hours to get anywhere interesting, which gets you to Denver and the eastern slope of the Rocky Mountains if going west, or 8 hours east to the nearest truly big, cosmopolitan city (Chicago). I would argue that even IN Lincoln you are still basically nowhere- bored out of your mind. Sure you have movie theaters, a mall, some restaurants, and some sports- but beyond that you have nothing. Nothing scenic to go see, no beaches, no real cultural experiences to be had, not much other than a few small offerings for diverse ethnic restaurants, and rotten weather most of the year (far too cold in winter, very humid and hot in summer).

Old 06-25-2015, 09:04 AM

452 posts, read 619,447 times
None of the above matters IF YOU HAVE NO MONEY IN SOCAL TO ENJOY IT. You are better off in Lincoln, owning a home, going to good schools, and living a decent life vs. festering in the fantasy land that is SoCal, the king...well queen (behind NYC) economy of ripping peoples money out of their pockets.

jmac1, it's the phony elitest attitude of people like you that make this place especially bad. There are successful people in every city in America, but only in L.A. are their people like you that run their mouths about it.

And back to jm31828, you forget that you make your own stuff to do. Did you forget about all the race tracks, muscle cars, cruising, plethora of dive bars, hunting and fishing? All within a 20 minute drive living in the Midwest? I remember leaving town and being in the sticks in 20 minutes, total freedom. The heavily restricted Angeles Forest has nothing on that. Too dry, only hot hiking, takes to long to get there, pay for parking, etc.

Old 06-25-2015, 09:20 AM

755 posts, read 674,985 times
Quote:
None of the above matters IF YOU HAVE NO MONEY IN SOCAL TO ENJOY IT. You are better off in Lincoln, owning a home, going to good schools, and living a decent life vs. festering in the fantasy land that is SoCal, the king...well queen (behind NYC) economy of ripping peoples money out of their pockets.

jmac1, it's the phony elitest attitude of people like you that make this place especially bad. There are successful people in every city in America, but only in L.A. are their people like you that run their mouths about it.

And back to jm31828, you forget that you make your own stuff to do. Did you forget about all the race tracks, muscle cars, cruising, plethora of dive bars, hunting and fishing? All within a 20 minute drive living in the Midwest? I remember leaving town and being in the sticks in 20 minutes, total freedom. The heavily restricted Angeles Forest has nothing on that. Too dry, only hot hiking, takes to long to get there, pay for parking, etc.

Quote:
Sorry you feel that way. Sorry you don't like to hear about not making excuses. You seem like the type to make excuses for failure, so you can point your finger at someone else instead of yourself. "Its California's fault." "Its the government fault." "Its the teacher who doesn't like me and the coach." "Its the police fault for shooting me because I resisted arrest." "Its Obama's fault that I am out of shape." "It's my neighbor's fault that I'm unhappy."

But you then say this:
Quote:
And back to jm31828, you forget that you make your own stuff to do.
I am an elitist because I don't accept excuses

Message to all City data posters......STOP BLAMING CALIFORNIA if you cannot live well in California. Please move back to the Midwest, sit on your tails and go to the race track and or hunt and fish. Don't think about doing anything cosmopolitan though.

Old 06-25-2015, 09:53 AM

452 posts, read 619,447 times
Quote:
Don't think about doing anything cosmopolitan though.

Old 06-25-2015, 10:04 AM

26,717 posts, read 26,776,017 times
Quote:
In light of all you've said, please tell us why you're here then.

It's frustrating to many people on this thread that you continue to bash southern California....and in effect, the rest of us, who are apparently having "money ripped out of our pockets" and are total fools to continue to live here.

Old 06-25-2015, 11:00 AM

2,209 posts, read 2,315,801 times
Quote:
Conservative alert.

I am elitist because I find Missouri unattractive. Yes......been to Missouri plenty of times. Yes, I have plenty of friends from Missouri who got out and never looked back.

Most of all, I guess you missed me pointing out that my mother grew up in Missouri and couldn't wait to get out. I guess that farm girl was an elitist as well.

Pretty pathetic calling someone an elitist because they find Missouri bland....
Easy there. Get all offended from a post made by a guy online whom you don't even know.

We can agree to disagree. I was born and raised in So. Cal ( and currently live here), yet I don't feel the need to bash other states. I've been to parts of Missouri before ( from Kansas City to Joplin) and I thought the state was pretty; very green and woodsy.

I never lived there of course, so I can't say how I'd like living there. But to dismiss the whole state as being inferior simply because I or my relatives think it is seems crazy.

Old 06-25-2015, 11:02 AM

2,209 posts, read 2,315,801 times
Quote:
I had to re-post....

How in the heck is this elitist?

Some people.......smh.
You were bothered enough by my assertion that you had to respond twice?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles