Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2015, 10:21 AM

1,319 posts, read 2,196,022 times

Advertisements

Bay Area would be much more expensive than LA if you are looking to purchase a home. There are comparable areas in the East Bay where you can purchase a $900,000 home, but I don't think those areas would be more interesting than LA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2015, 12:16 PM

1,176 posts, read 3,180,022 times
Woodland Hills more upscale than NoHo, I think. Though less of an artsy "vibe." They're both part of the City of Los Angeles. You need to schedule a visit. I grew up in Van Nuys. Wouldn't want to live in most parts of VN, I think. Did stay at the Hilton in Woodland Hills twice within the past few months. Nice area. Didn't like the long drive to some areas, though enjoyed driving over rustic Topanga Canyon to get to Pacific Coast Highway.

Old 05-20-2015, 12:30 PM

Not much south of the 101 in Valley before are into the hills. Yes, more upscale, but if you look at a map you'll see what a large percentage of the area is north of the 101. San Fernando Valley - Mapping L.A. - Los Angeles Times Sure, if I were moving to the area and the money live in the Hollywood Hills,etc. south of 101, I would. But it is a relatively small area. You might find Woodland Hills a bit isolated if you'll be going a lot to West Hollywood, downtown L.A.,etc.,but I don't think it's unsafe (in general).

Old 05-20-2015, 12:32 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,187,529 times
the san fernando valley has sketchy areas, but plenty of very nice areas as well. in your price range, you won't have to worry about sketchy areas. while your options may not be plentiful in studio city, neighboring valley village is also a very nice area and should have plenty of options in your price range. one thing to consider thought is that valley village would be quite boring compared to studio city.

Old 05-20-2015, 09:25 PM

19 posts, read 109,319 times
I'm a LA native and have lived my 50 plus years all over the valley and city. LA is a big sprawling place that makes it hard to go to other areas of interest in under 45 minutes because of traffic. LA has pockets of interest a lot of them mentioned. From what it sounds like you would want to be in LA proper not the San Fernando Valley. West Hollywood, Hollywood, West LA, Downtown, Silverlake, Venice, Mid Wilshire are all interesting in their own way. Housing in those areas I don't know about prices.

Old 05-22-2015, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innerdream View Post
I'm a LA native and have lived my 50 plus years all over the valley and city. LA is a big sprawling place that makes it hard to go to other areas of interest in under 45 minutes because of traffic. LA has pockets of interest a lot of them mentioned. From what it sounds like you would want to be in LA proper not the San Fernando Valley. West Hollywood, Hollywood, West LA, Downtown, Silverlake, Venice, Mid Wilshire are all interesting in their own way. Housing in those areas I don't know about prices.
I agree that at your age and with your interests, places like West Hollywood, Silverlake, even North Hollywood and Glendale could suit you better than Woodland Hills, which is probably good for families but might be too isolated for you. When I was growing up in Van Nuys (a long time ago), downtown L.A. was not a place many people would have considered for renting, but it's become increasingly popular (including more clubs, restaurants, entertainment venues), and is convenient to public transportation. Might be too pricey. And schools are a factor for you. Best to make a visit before you decide.

Old 05-22-2015, 09:39 AM

This was in WH south of 101, Woodland Hills standoff with armed elderly woman ends after 22 hours but such things do not happen most days :-) There are actually some ritzy new home, older rustic buildings and, as noted, some mobile home. Some who live up in Topanga Canyon would not trade it for an in-town home.

Old 05-22-2015, 10:49 AM

8,452 posts, read 15,034,390 times
Topanga is very, very alt. Still has a lot of hippies and artists.

You can just drive down Topanga Canyon Blvd. to Woodland Hills on one end for "civilization" to the max, or drive down the other way to the beach and Malibu.

Another potential area is the Lake Manor area of Chatsworth in the northwest Valley, not that far from Topanga actually. It's unincorporated and very friendly and hippie, yet again near shopping and all that stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles