Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 09:11 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,441,003 times

Advertisements

I think we should follow NYC's great lead and push an anti Soda agenda. (Although I think it didn't get through the courts)
New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio Pushes Forward on Soda Ban - WSJ

Because as we all know....SODA is the root of all evil. It's in the Bible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2015, 02:08 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,844,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
On what are you basing that statement? The city council has the power to stop the variance abuse, and put a stop on density increases altogether by not issuing building entitlements.

On Wilshire blvd., from San Vicente down to Centinella, there are quite a number of high rise office buildings. Are you aware that when they were built, none of them conformed to the zoning laws? The developers were issued zoning variances, and in doing so the city skirted the spirit of the variance laws, which are intended to alleviate unforseen hardships -- not being able to build high rises does not qualify as a hardship. Nevertheless, these buildings were built to the chagrin of the neighborhood, because the corrupt politicians at the time had their pockets lined by the developers. And now those politicians are retired to quiet communities far from here, indifferent to the mess to which they've contributed.

There is absolutely no reason for all the housing and commercial density increases we've been experiencing over the past few decades other than that of unabridged capitalism run amok, at the expense of having a livable city. Traffic is so unbelievably bad and it's not going to get any better as long as we continue to have these housing and commercial density increases. And a subway is chasing the problem, rather than staying ahead of it.

Do you like dense living? Then move to New York -- most of us live here rather than NY because we do not want that lifestyle, and we certainly have not any need to duplicate it here.
I love it. The old boomer generation always makes that retort about moderate density - "If you want dense living, move to Manhattan!" As if that is even close to what is happening in Los Angeles (it's not just here, it's the same in every city across the nation). Makes me wonder if any of these folks have ever even visited NYC - where in LA is there anything like Manhattan, or any attempt to make something like Manhattan? Even our dense projects have an insane amount of parking required. You have people making it sound like a 7 story mixed use building with 2 parking spots per unit is the next Empire State Building.

Besides, I live here because my family is in Southern California and my work is down here. Why don't you move to Oklahoma City where you can live the suburban lifestyle you always dreamed of?

Old 05-21-2015, 02:11 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,844,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
I think we should follow NYC's great lead and push an anti Soda agenda. (Although I think it didn't get through the courts)
New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio Pushes Forward on Soda Ban - WSJ

Because as we all know....SODA is the root of all evil. It's in the Bible.
Well... I think this is a little ridiculous. I think most everyone did.

Not sure why they are continuing down this waste-of-time path.

I think there is a big difference between giving people an almost-living wage and delving into these sorts of nanny state shananigans.

Old 05-21-2015, 08:00 PM

13,582 posts, read 15,647,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
It doesn't seem like it will be getting better anytime soon.

Garcetti wants to build 100,000 new housing units in L.A by 2021. It is clear there is a shortage of housing...[...]
I say there's a surplus of people seeking housing, rather than a shortage of housing.

And yet after more housing is built, more commercial development will be allowed by the city by our corrupt politicians handing out yet more variances and building entitlements. And the cycle continues until we have a billion people living here. Is that what we want?

Old 05-21-2015, 08:11 PM

13,582 posts, read 15,647,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
I love it. The old boomer generation always makes that retort about moderate density - "If you want dense living, move to Manhattan!" As if that is even close to what is happening in Los Angeles (it's not just here, it's the same in every city across the nation). Makes me wonder if any of these folks have ever even visited NYC - where in LA is there anything like Manhattan, or any attempt to make something like Manhattan? Even our dense projects have an insane amount of parking required. You have people making it sound like a 7 story mixed use building with 2 parking spots per unit is the next Empire State Building.

Besides, I live here because my family is in Southern California and my work is down here. Why don't you move to Oklahoma City where you can live the suburban lifestyle you always dreamed of?
I do not care what the boomer generation says, and I do not know how it's relevant to he discussion.

And yes, the plan is to make L.A. a denser city. The city openly wants to get people "out of their cars" (this was recently expressed to me at a local community forum). We have that new behemoth of a housing project down by LMU. There has been a fight for years to turn the Martin Cadillac dealership in West L.A. into another humongous housing project. Et cetera.

Do you want to live like a piece of livestock? I do not.

And as I've stated, the trend has been to increase the population of Los Angeles for decades. And as I've also stated, if nothing is done to put the brakes on this madness, we'll eventually have the Beijing from 20 years ago. No...thank...you!

Old 05-21-2015, 09:06 PM

I think there are still quite a few places you can live in L.A, but not have to live in a super dense neighborhood. I think we are quite aways from L.A being all built up with very few single family homes.

If people continue to move here and have children here the population will grow.
I think the city is realizing the more density is necessary because there is only so much land.
The economics of the situation are also that it doesn't make sense for developers to build single family homes. Unless they are large mansions that are several millions dollars.

The single family homes they are building are 'small lot subdivisions' which are more like townhomes actually ...also called tiny lot homes.

Here are some examples of developments proposed for Van Nuys
Residential Developments Proposed for Van Nuys | San Fernando Valley Business Journal

I thought the developers comments were interesting..

"We love Van Nuys in particular. It seems to get a bad rap, but we look for areas where we can get a lot of value and where neighbors are supportive,” Kwan said."

I saw another similar type project that is being built on Roscoe Blvd in Winnetka area .

I don't think these "tiny lot homes" are a good value personally..because you are only owning a much smaller fraction of land than you would with a real SFH , and land is what's valuable in L.A..

They also aren't that cheap either..

Alan Kwan, the firm’s director of acquisitions, said they would be priced from the mid-$400,000s to the mid-$500,000s.

You should be able to buy a real SFH in the area especially at the higher level.

Old 05-22-2015, 03:31 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,587,825 times
Quote:

People also say that this could drive businesses to open in other cities. But I would imagine a lot of other cities will follow in LA's footsteps. I can see Pasadena, Santa Monica, Inglewood, Culver City, Long Beach passing similar laws.
Santa Monica yes, but not the others. Beverly Hills and West Hollywood are the only others I can see passing this. Inglewood? About as likely as Saudi Arabia allowing gay marriage. Culver City? Doubtful, due to the major influence of small business in city government. Pasadena? I really don't think so - they actually value small business, unlike Soviet Los Angeles.

Old 05-22-2015, 03:36 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,587,825 times
Quote:
I don't think major chains or fast food places will be going out of business and replaced by high-end. I have zero sympathy (scratch that, I carry strong antipathy) for the Wal-Mart, Target, McDonalds, Burger King, etc. of the world who clearly have quite a few people at the top making a pretty penny while those at the lowest levels are subsidized by tax payers. That's not how the free market should be operating
Then you should oppose the minimum wage increase, because those businesses will survive just fine. It'll be minority owned small businesses that will close.

Old 05-22-2015, 05:30 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,663,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesInDC View Post
Personally, I feel if the minimum wage is increased across the country, wages for ALL workers will eventually go up. Wages for all workers has been stagnant for decades now.
and when this happens prices on everything will go up as well. That meant the poor or even lower middle class gain nothing exept more bills. What they can now purchase for $10 will cost $13 so where is the benefit? I am not saying raising the min wage is a horrible idea, it probably is not, but the amount it is raised has to be considered. Think about the kid getting his first job, do you really think he/she should be learning good work skills by working at Micky Ds for $15 an hour?

For those who feel so strongly about the min wage being $15 an hour or whatever, try visiting Canada and see how far your $$ goes. Check the cost of a simple small meal at say, Popeyes for starters? Of take a taxi for 2 miles only. I could go on and on. Beleive me, there is a price we all pay for a jump in min wage.

Old 05-22-2015, 09:12 AM

Yeah..the problem is that many people don't have a grasp on the basic economics.

They think if a place sells a sandwich for $6 it's all profit for the restaurant owner besides cost of ingredients.
They have no idea that the place has to sell X sandwiches a day to pay rent, X to pay wages, X to pay utilities,insurance,etc.

License fees, compliance fees, environmental fees.

If they rent an apartment , they think that GREEDY landlord, I'm paying $1200 in rent, he's making $1200 a month off me!

In reality at least in L.A , landlords are lucky to break even on their investments because of the rent to property price ratio.

Many are subsidizing their tenants rent in the hope they can sell for more in the future.

And then after holding onto a property for years and putting their time and savings into a property, people will demonize the "Greedy" landlords for selling their property at a profit (if they are lucky).

New article from Forbes about L.A min wage hike.
LA's $15 Minimum Wage; Too High Too Soon - Forbes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles