Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2015, 08:49 AM

28 posts, read 73,793 times

Advertisements

I signed a lease for an apartment in Culver City, which stated that my occupancy period would begin May 20. I paid my deposit and first month's rent via a cashier's check. During the past couple of days, I've emailed and texted the landlord trying to set up an appointment to get the keys and conduct the walkthrough on May 20. The landlord hasn't responded. I've rented a moving van and set up an appointment for the Time Warner guy to come this afternoon, so I want to get access to the place as soon as possible.

I'm looking over tenant rights information for Los Angeles, trying to find out if there's a law explicitly stating that the landlord is obligated to let the tenant in when the lease starts, but I actually can't find anything on that subject.

If the landlord doesn't agree to meet me soon, what recourse do I have?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2015, 08:52 AM

35,095 posts, read 50,957,501 times
http://www.city-data.com/forum/renti...nant-laws.html

Old 05-20-2015, 09:04 AM

Thank you. I've been reading through those laws, but so far I can't find anything that explicitly states, "the landlord is obligated to give tenant access to the building on the move-in date."

Even the section on habitability doesn't state that the tenant must be allowed to actually, you know, inhabit the place.

Old 05-20-2015, 09:27 AM

280 posts, read 323,173 times
It's only 7:00 am there, right? Maybe he'll show up when he feels like it. I hope this isn't an indication of what your landlord will be like going forward though .

Old 05-20-2015, 09:33 AM

Yeah, it's early. The problem is, our written lease states in section 18, "tenant will receive prior to the Commencement Date two keys to premises." So I tried to get the keys yesterday after work, think that that would make moving day less of a hassle, and he didn't respond.

Old 05-20-2015, 11:37 AM

280 posts, read 323,173 times
Have you connected with him yet?

Old 05-20-2015, 11:48 AM

8,428 posts, read 10,839,583 times
I don't like the sound of this.
Where did you first see an ad for this rental?
If it was Craig's list, you just may have been scammed.
Not all ads on there are scams, but some are.
Let me tell you how these scams work.

Sometimes a former tenant of a unit having either been evicted, or had some other difficulty with the landlord, will have an extra set of keys made to the unit they vacated, and once empty, place an ad, show the place, and take your money.
Picking up legal forms(rental agreement) is nothing more than a trip to some office supply store.
Unless this landlord suddenly died, or had an emergency medical problem, I see no reason why you would not have gotten your keys well in advance of moving in.
I don't like having to tell you that scams are all over Craigslist, but unfortunately, this sure sounds like one of them.

Keep us posted.

Bob.

Old 05-20-2015, 12:00 PM

1,855 posts, read 2,898,208 times
You have to message him "please respond." He is then contractually obligated to respond.

Old 05-20-2015, 03:17 PM

434 posts, read 1,014,349 times
CES - Tenants' Rights and Social Justice in Los Angeles could be another resource, but only if the landlord isn't an out-and-out crook. If he is an out-and-out crook, I suppose your next stop would be the police.

The sympathy of a stranger isn't worth much, but I'll still offer it. Good luck, Seraphita.

Old 05-22-2015, 08:50 AM

38 posts, read 154,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howiester View Post
You have to message him "please respond." He is then contractually obligated to respond.
Aware.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting