Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 01:54 AM

1,232 posts, read 3,781,181 times

Advertisements

I was born and raised in Los Angeles and after decades of living there, I finally decided to move across the country to NC. I've been in NC over a year (though I've flown back quite a bit). My perspective on LA is now different (I've confirmed some things, but miss a lot of others).

I would say that the only thing I really disliked about Los Angeles was the traffic and the cost of housing. And people, well, you get good and bad no matter what.

If you're looking to work in the film industry, however, Los Angeles is the best place for it, in my opinion. Sure, we'd have out of state productions or shoot on faraway exotic locations, but the hub is really Hollywood and that's where you get hired. I worked in production for a long time... I left because I was tired of the commute and wanted a different perspective on life. Unfortunately, production work is far leaner, if non-existent, here in NC (Wilmington has some activity). But if you are just starting out (or looking to increase your visibility) and you want to work in television/film, then you'll find a lot of varied level opportunities that could lead to better positions in Los Angeles (I've had friends start off in music, then jump into television, news then film -- all within a couple of years). I always found work out there through networking and through word of mouth. In NC, well, it's a night and day difference.

Another thing I didn't realize I liked so much was my occasional anonymity. That sounds odd, but in a big expansive area like Los Angeles/Orange/Etc county, you can be visible in local affairs or you can simply remain anonymous and go about your everyday business. I don't know how to describe this early in the morning, but it's kind of nice to be left alone to mind my own business. I am quite social... but I do enjoy my introverted side too. Unfortunately, but fortunately, I can get that in Los Angeles.

To me, it's not a dark memory thinking of Los Angeles. Just take a drive along the coast, and you'll know what I mean (providing you like the coast). But if you prefer a more mountainous excursion, you can take a long drive along hillside and mountain roads, say, along Mulholland, Sunset or into the Malibu Hills... and really get that feeling like you're away from it all. I'd do that quite often (both the coast and the hills... what I miss the most). And it doesn't really cost anything (well, it does actually... the cost of gas, insurance, etc).

A lot of natural amenities abound in and around Los Angeles... all within a short (or reasonable) drive. Mountains; Beach; Desert; Lakes. The area has it all. Of course, timing is everything and getting out of the city can be a real pain considering the relentless traffic (but with experience and planning, it can be managed). Traffic, after a while, is grating on one's psyche, though.

Mind you, I really like the people here in NC. People have been quite kind and embracing, in person. Humble too. I really like that. My driving habits have also mellowed out quite a bit too. However, I miss all that Los Angeles had to offer. 24 hours a day, it seems. And the expense part of it all wasn't that bad except for the housing and insurance (which is a big cost -- though our insurance is cheaper, the additional tax we pay here in NC evens it all out). I'm found my food costs were less in L.A., too (it's taxed here in RDU). If you have a consistent average income and a can do attitude, you'll manage just fine there in L.A.

Ultimately, you'll have to spend some time in L.A. to really determine how you feel about it. I recommend getting in as close to the studios as possible, or the west side considering the odd hours you'll work on the job (but if you work in an area where you're out in the field a lot, then you might want to live somewhere close to activities you enjoy participating in). As far as housing, I've had great luck finding like minded roommates out there. That might help financially in the short run until you get settled.

By the way, a lot of people get pollution confused with the "marine layer" that lingers in throughout the basin. And that's what L.A. is, a basin since it's surrounded by mountain ranges. It's not smog. California is actually pretty respectable with it's pollution standards considering they have a lot of industry there (as I got older, my allergies all but disappeared after a while). I remember when I was a kid, the smog was something you could almost cut with a knife (and that, you could see and feel in your throat, too). Now, it's not really an issue (though it's not like living in the country or a place that gets a lot of rain either). And standards get tougher every year. So, I can understand the statistical data... but we are talking about a major metropolitan area. Like I said, I've seen the worse of it and have experienced some great pure air'ed cities... I don't think it's nearly as bad as it's described sometimes.

One thing that we discovered about crime. Where we live, crime stats aren't nearly as high as the stats in L.A. Looking at the numbers, L.A. can seem brutal. But it was not even an issue living there (unless you live in some of the gang ridden areas). However, I feel like crime is a bigger issue here. And I'm more concerned about safety and having something occur here than I did in L.A. I think it's because the city we live is a lot smaller in comparison, so everything seems like it's just a few streets over when the news reports something. In L.A., considering how vast it is, it felt like the news was reporting occurances very far away (though we were always aware of it's accessibility).

Try to remain neutral and even keeled, and take everything said with a grain of salt until you visit and investigate. It helps. Even our overly positive views of NC have been tainted a bit by the reality of things... on the other hand, we have been pleased with other elements we did not expect. You'll know what's right for you when you arrive and stay a while.

Good luck on the journey.

Last edited by CaliBoy; 01-20-2008 at 02:05 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2008, 01:55 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
no winter................

Old 01-20-2008, 02:00 PM

105 posts, read 482,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivo View Post
I'm from the bmore area originally but live in oc for about a year. what are your impressions of this area vs bmore? what part of bmore did u live in and have u lived there for a while?
Another Bmore native here. And I'm about to move to SoCal in about a month. More so to the IE, Moreno Valley area. I can't wait to get away from this cold weather. Not to mention, I need a change of scenery plain and simple. I lived in Northern CA for about a year when I was about 13. My dad was stationed in Mountain View and I've always wanted to go back. The opportunity has finally presented itself and I'm high-tailing it to BWI, jumping on a plane, and not looking back.

Old 01-20-2008, 05:07 PM

662 posts, read 1,281,912 times
First of all, LA is the most mythic city in that there are so many myths about it which don't ring true. In fact, LA is the second safest big city after NYC. Per capita, it's more dangerous in places like Chicago, Detroit, DC, Atlanta, Houston and Miami. Some of those places aren't considered high on crime perception, when in reality, they are much more dangerous than LA (which is more gang on gang fighting).

Second of all, why the resentment over illegal aliens? Are they taking away your jobs? No. They are doing jobs none of us would do. If there were illegal British people or illegal french people in LA rather than overwhelmingly Mexican, would people have as much resentment? People don't like to admit it but it's a race issue and that speaks more of the person who resents seeing aliens in a city than it does about the city. Illegal immigration implies some great things about LA. They go to LA because the opportunities exist and there is a strong level of multicultural acceptance rather than a place like Denver, where illegals don't generally think of leaving to.

Third, LA is known as the entertainment capital, but it's really among the most diversified economy in the country. 13 million people aren't in LA county to become moviestars. They obviously do other things.

Old 01-20-2008, 07:11 PM

307 posts, read 1,397,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Many people who watch a lot of television and watch a lot of movies are exposed to a lot of Southern California's positive attributes. Essentially, SoCal gets around the clock free advertising.

It has to have an effect.
The way L.A gets advertised on television that is pretty much the best way to describe L.A. Like the way MTV describes it. *But that is hardly from the truth, Most of Los Angeles looks kind of run down poor suburby sprawl.

Good way to describe L.A is kind of like Christina Aguilera's song

La LA LA LA LA
Do you want to be widely entertained?
People to know your name?
Do you crave fame?
Well they say "things aren't always what they seem to be"
Even your greatest fantasies

You won't believe your eyes
Won't even recognise
The wonderment that lies
Behind the shimmer and the lights

Is it true what they say?
Is it all just fun and games?
Or is there more behind the makeup,
And the faces full of paint?

Old 01-21-2008, 05:18 AM

413 posts, read 1,845,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent85 View Post
People move there for the sun, it's been cloudy here everyday for the last month, I can't take it anymore!
Yeah our #1 reason is weather. It's been in the minus range here off and on for a month, it's gloomy, windy, and depressing...but hey, rent is cheap!
To all of those who are in California right now wishing they were in the midwest all I can say is, come and get it. You can have my share. I'll take your double rent and crowded highways, you can have my -22 degree Saturdays and redneck filled roads.
Also, our crime index (per capita) is higher than L.A.'s especially our murder/rape stats.

Old 01-21-2008, 05:29 AM

1,831 posts, read 5,293,459 times
Actually ... when you look at the census data .... more people are moving out than moving in.

About 118,000 more people are moving out of Los Angeles, Long Beach and Santa Ana every year than moving in.

http://www.census.gov/prod/2006pubs/p25-1135.pdf

Check out p. 8.

Same thing in San Francisco. Basically ... most of the expensive cities are losing population.

Old 01-21-2008, 07:10 AM

413 posts, read 1,845,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheri257 View Post
Actually ... when you look at the census data .... more people are moving out than moving in.

About 118,000 more people are moving out of Los Angeles, Long Beach and Santa Ana every year than moving in.

http://www.census.gov/prod/2006pubs/p25-1135.pdf

Check out p. 8.

Same thing in San Francisco. Basically ... most of the expensive cities are losing population.
Why don't these cities lower the cost of living? Kinda like Walmart, lower your price and sell more. One of the biggest success stories of the century.

Old 01-21-2008, 09:49 AM

109 posts, read 395,295 times
Minus 15 degree temperture not counting windchill - need I say more?!

Old 01-21-2008, 01:49 PM

24,510 posts, read 33,309,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtran103 View Post
Second of all, why the resentment over illegal aliens? Are they taking away your jobs? No. They are doing jobs none of us would do.
Very inaccurate and wrong. Not all of them are working at jobs none of us would do. There are plenty working in the construction field, for instance. And in factories. There are plenty of Americans working in those jobs, thus the illegal aliens are taking jobs away from legal American citizens.

Quote:
If there were illegal British people or illegal french people in LA rather than overwhelmingly Mexican, would people have as much resentment?
I would. I am against lawbreakers no matter where they come from.

Quote:
People don't like to admit it but it's a race issue and that speaks more of the person who resents seeing aliens in a city than it does about the city.
It's not a race issue; it's a law enforcement issue.

Quote:
Illegal immigration implies some great things about LA.
Tell me how hundreds of thousands (millions, even) of illegal aliens implies "great" things about L.A.?

Quote:
They go to LA because the opportunities exist and there is a strong level of multicultural acceptance rather than a place like Denver, where illegals don't generally think of leaving to.
I don't blame them for coming here for the opportunities; I blame the U.S. government for not controlling the border. I also blame the Mexican government because it is so corrupt that millions of their citizens want to leave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles