Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2015, 02:06 PM

362 posts, read 543,865 times

Advertisements

Play nicely everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2015, 03:11 PM

3,830 posts, read 4,662,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KazChasey View Post
LOL. Talking about the irony of dumb people when you yourself can't understand the difference between Utah and LA.

Utah has a huge issue with young men being cast out of Mormon communities. These are teenagers who are being tossed out on the street for no reason other than being a threat to polygamists or questioning the faith.

The reason Utahans voted to house them and the reason the program has been somewhat successful IS because these "homeless" are Utah's native sons, who are homeless for reasons much different than your typical homeless.

Try comprehending that before you cast stones at people.

To compare Utahans providing a little housing for their outcast native sons to Californians burning money from an already decimated budget to house the druggie riff-raff overflowing our borders from all over the country is pure ignorance. Look up "context" and figure out what it means. It'll help you not look so foolish.
Where did I say I even supported the Utah plan? Seriously you need to stop posting complete garbage and actually respond to the right person. Clearly that is quite difficult for you, but give it a try some time.

Old 06-05-2015, 04:13 PM

28,094 posts, read 29,957,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KazChasey View Post
LOL. Talking about the irony of dumb people when you yourself can't understand the difference between Utah and LA.

Utah has a huge issue with young men being cast out of Mormon communities. These are teenagers who are being tossed out on the street for no reason other than being a threat to polygamists or questioning the faith.
There is also a difference between a Mormon community and an FLDS community, since you brought up the subject of dumb people not understanding something as basic as this.

Old 06-05-2015, 05:03 PM

399 posts, read 407,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
There is also a difference between a Mormon community and an FLDS community, since you brought up the subject of dumb people not understanding something as basic as this.
Well aware of that. Thanks. I'm sure I know more on the subject than you do. Your misunderstanding doesn't change the fact that most Utahans are willing to help out their castaway native sons, whether they're mainstream Mormon or a polygamist sect. Quite different from helping out druggie riff-raff trash bussed in from all around the country.

Old 06-05-2015, 07:27 PM

86 posts, read 82,753 times
https://jobs.utah.gov/housing/scso/d...ssness2014.pdf
Homeless in Los Angeles County

Some interesting data on the homeless population in Utah vs LA. What I'm seeing is that regardless of location, a significant portion of the homeless population is either mentally ill or abusing drugs/alcohol. (Note that for the Utah stats on p. 18, they don't separate out people who have "more than one disabling condition," which constitute 39% of the population.) In both LA and Utah, most of the homeless population are native to the area.

Old 06-05-2015, 09:05 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,416,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinguina View Post
https://jobs.utah.gov/housing/scso/d...ssness2014.pdf
Homeless in Los Angeles County

Some interesting data on the homeless population in Utah vs LA. What I'm seeing is that regardless of location, a significant portion of the homeless population is either mentally ill or abusing drugs/alcohol. (Note that for the Utah stats on p. 18, they don't separate out people who have "more than one disabling condition," which constitute 39% of the population.) In both LA and Utah, most of the homeless population are native to the area.
Really? I thought Utah's homeless population looked like this:

That's what some prior posts would have you believe.

Old 06-06-2015, 04:54 AM

1,627 posts, read 3,217,243 times
If you look up the statistics of Utah's homeless you will find that 60 percent are mentally ill and are addicts. Realistically, we will never end the epic saga of people who live on the streets but we sure as heck can do a better job.

Old 06-06-2015, 07:09 PM

399 posts, read 407,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smilinpretty View Post
If you look up the statistics of Utah's homeless you will find that 60 percent are mentally ill and are addicts. Realistically, we will never end the epic saga of people who live on the streets but we sure as heck can do a better job.
At what price? Could the money that is being used to help druggies and street freaks not be used to help poor and disadvantaged children? Would you rather spend your dollar to help an innocent child or an insane hobo tripping out on drugs? The homeless don't want help. They want drugs, alcohol, and freedom. Children have a future. Homeless druggies do not.

Old 06-06-2015, 11:57 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,268,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyageuse View Post
At first, I wasn't sure if I was in favor of the Utah plan, but from a mathematical standpoint it seems to work, and it does have an eight year track record of a 78% reduction in homelessness. The hand-out aspect of it still irks me, but it's difficult to argue with the numbers, and it is getting people off the streets when nothing else seems to have worked.
I think the latest data shows they only are left with about 5-7% of chronic hard core homeless who refuse housing and it costs about 1/2 of what the City was paying for hospital ERs and jail stays before they started the program

Old 06-06-2015, 11:59 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,268,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
So the homeless get a brand new house on my money, for them to destroy while I live in a old house. Great work Democrats.
no V8, they don't get a brand new house and Salt Lake City where the program has been in effect for a decade is hardly run by democrats
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles