Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2015, 08:06 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,504,642 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theraven24 View Post
Most likely never going to happen.
I couldn't see the industry leaving completely, but I could see the bulk of it leaving to the point of Los Angeles being about as important in the industry as Seattle is, and ceasing to be a capital.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2015, 08:42 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,125,999 times
I think one only has to look at how many times Alec Baldwin is on a NY based TV shows to know how many celebrities live in NYC. Alec Baldwin - IMDb

Old 06-14-2015, 08:15 AM

1,235 posts, read 1,762,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
I think one only has to look at how many times Alec Baldwin is on a NY based TV shows to know how many celebrities live in NYC. Alec Baldwin - IMDb
That azzwhole was born on Long Island and grew up in the NYC area. Let's hope he stays there. In the mid-90's he beat up a photographer outside his Woodland Hills home for trying to take a photo of his new born daughter. The same one he called a pig when she was 12 years old. Great guy.

Alec Baldwin Arrested in Battery on Photographer : Privacy: Cameraman claims he was punched by the actor, who asked him not to videotape the homecoming of his and Kim Basinger's baby girl. - latimes

Old 06-14-2015, 09:59 AM

10,097 posts, read 9,953,448 times
The only reason I think celebs love NYC so much is because when you're extremely rich NYC is the ultimate playground. It's a socialites paradise. For as unequal as LA is too, there's still more of a people's vibe here by comparison.

I've been to NYC several times. It was always cool to visit but I never got the hype. I never got it until I went to a swanky soirée and afterward had breakfast early next morning at a fancy lower manhattan eatery and was like ok yeah you're pampered like a king, paparazzi out the door, meet and greet the most important people in the world. Got it. You have to be filthy rich to really enjoy NYC to the fullest. Otherwise I thought NYC was kind of overrated.

In LA I've had the time of my life on a beer budget. Albeit yes it is much more isolated and lonely at times so I can see that celebs use LA as their escape.

Old 06-15-2015, 10:15 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,337,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
The only reason I think celebs love NYC so much is because when you're extremely rich NYC is the ultimate playground. It's a socialites paradise. For as unequal as LA is too, there's still more of a people's vibe here by comparison.

I've been to NYC several times. It was always cool to visit but I never got the hype. I never got it until I went to a swanky soirée and afterward had breakfast early next morning at a fancy lower manhattan eatery and was like ok yeah you're pampered like a king, paparazzi out the door, meet and greet the most important people in the world. Got it. You have to be filthy rich to really enjoy NYC to the fullest. Otherwise I thought NYC was kind of overrated.

In LA I've had the time of my life on a beer budget. Albeit yes it is much more isolated and lonely at times so I can see that celebs use LA as their escape.
I think a lot of it is that on the East Coast they realize there is a class system , but on the West Coast people act like there isn't. But even on the West Coast we see that the rich enjoy a very different lifestyle. All you have to do is drive or walk through a wealthy neighborhood and then walk through a poor one.

All the Ivy Leagues are on the East Coast . It seems like on the East Coast it's more about what school did you go to , who are your parents,etc. There is the whole "Old Money" thing.

A lot of it also have to do with NYC being an older/more established city versus L.A.

Old 06-20-2015, 01:17 AM

37 posts, read 47,714 times
I'm in the industry and live in the Hollywood Hills. I can say that if the industry is leaving LA it's leaving slowly. No matter where in Los Angeles you are you can look around you and find a prop shop, rental house, production studio, etc within a block. There is nowhere else in the country that I'm aware of where you can drive around the entire metro area and film production is so ingrained into the area. It just doesn't exist anywhere but here. Maybe there are enclaves of it in parts of New York, Vancouver, etc but you can go from Marina Del Rey to Pasadena and you're assaulted by industry businesses all along the way.

You go to Chicago or New York and that doesn't exist. So maybe the industry is smaller here than it was but it's still exponentially larger here than in other parts of the country. Do we need to take steps to encourage more production here? Absolutely, yes but this insinuation that the industry has packed up and left is silly and untrue.

Likewise with the stars. We are surrounded by recognizable names in neighborhood and this is what people don't understand and why the industry will never leave here: People with money want to live in the nicer parts of the LA metro area. Hollywood Hills, MDR, Santa Monica, Pacific Palisades, Malibu, etc. These places aren't desirable because the stars are here; they're desirable because they're some of the best views in the country with by far the best year round weather in the country. And because the stars have money and they can afford to buy the best places the industry will continue to cater to them. The home base will always be here. That will never change.

Old 06-21-2015, 10:14 PM

317 posts, read 402,035 times
People here seem to be saying that movies are no longer filming in LA that much anymore, yet there ere 3 movies that came out recently that at least take place in LA for a part of the movie. There are also quite a bit of recent movies I've watched on netflix that take place in LA. Not to mention so a lot of open world games taking place in LA.

Old 06-21-2015, 11:43 PM

1,235 posts, read 1,762,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John_marts View Post
People here seem to be saying that movies are no longer filming in LA that much anymore, yet there ere 3 movies that came out recently that at least take place in LA for a part of the movie. There are also quite a bit of recent movies I've watched on netflix that take place in LA. Not to mention so a lot of open world games taking place in LA.
Lots of the classic New York sitcoms were actually shot in Los Angeles: I Love Lucy, All in the Family, Taxi, Barney Miller and Senfield to name a few. The point being that just because it is set in California does not mean it was filmed in California.

Film production has fled Hollywood to take advantage of film tax credits given out by other states and nations (Canada, New Zealand, etc.). So yes, this is an issue...of course, not quite what the original intent of the tread was.

If Senfield was on the air today, there is a good chance it would be shot in New York.

Old 06-26-2015, 02:20 PM

368 posts, read 411,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeymike View Post
I'm in the industry and live in the Hollywood Hills. I can say that if the industry is leaving LA it's leaving slowly. No matter where in Los Angeles you are you can look around you and find a prop shop, rental house, production studio, etc within a block. There is nowhere else in the country that I'm aware of where you can drive around the entire metro area and film production is so ingrained into the area. It just doesn't exist anywhere but here. Maybe there are enclaves of it in parts of New York, Vancouver, etc but you can go from Marina Del Rey to Pasadena and you're assaulted by industry businesses all along the way.

You go to Chicago or New York and that doesn't exist. So maybe the industry is smaller here than it was but it's still exponentially larger here than in other parts of the country. Do we need to take steps to encourage more production here? Absolutely, yes but this insinuation that the industry has packed up and left is silly and untrue.

Likewise with the stars. We are surrounded by recognizable names in neighborhood and this is what people don't understand and why the industry will never leave here: People with money want to live in the nicer parts of the LA metro area. Hollywood Hills, MDR, Santa Monica, Pacific Palisades, Malibu, etc. These places aren't desirable because the stars are here; they're desirable because they're some of the best views in the country with by far the best year round weather in the country. And because the stars have money and they can afford to buy the best places the industry will continue to cater to them. The home base will always be here. That will never change.
Spot on

Old 06-27-2015, 05:20 AM

6,611 posts, read 3,645,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laid Off View Post
Many so called Hollywood Stars may have a home in California but many spend the majority of their time in New York.

Maybe because so few films and TV Shows are shot in California anymore and they like living in New York better now that they don't have to be in Southern CA anymore.
I don't know what you are talking about or why it was even brought up. TONS and TONS of celebs live in and around the L.A. area, the outskirts. Popular areas have become Calabasas and Hidden Hills, besides always having been Bel Air, Beverly Hills, Malibu, Encino, Sand Canyon, etc. MANY need to be nearby for shows shot at studios. Some of them DO mostly reside in other states, wanting to be far from the limelight, such as Harrison Ford and Michael Keaton who have ranches, but also keep another place somewhere in L.A. Those starring in Broadway shows relocate to N.Y. for a time and I've heard some say they live in both CA and N.Y.

Also, there will always be T.V. shows shot at studios and Los Angeles locations used in movies. Southern California is still a very desirable locale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles