Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2015, 10:34 PM

1,384 posts, read 2,692,007 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, I was driving eastbound on Wilshire Blvd, when all of a sudden a car rear ended me while I was at a redlight. We pulled over to a quiet street to exchange information. However, the guy said he had no license on him, and that it was expired. I called the police in order to file a police report. Once they arrived, they asked to see my driver license, and the officer took it and looked up my information.

Is that standard protocol? I felt it was a bit weird since I wasn't the one who rear ended anybody.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2015, 10:47 PM

3,190 posts, read 3,183,669 times
Yes, that is standard. They get the information of everyone involved and assume no guilt or innocence until they have all the information. Just because you were rear ended doesn't mean it wasn't your fault or that you're beyond reproach.

Old 06-09-2015, 03:54 AM

4,795 posts, read 4,820,036 times
How can they file an accident report without your info?

Old 06-09-2015, 07:28 AM

1,596 posts, read 2,057,732 times
Yes, the officer was following protocol. Especially since the other idiot had no ID (WTF?). Also, you providing ID helps with the investigation and with you providing the report to your insurance company as being the person driving at the time.

Old 06-09-2015, 02:46 PM

1,631 posts, read 4,223,832 times
How does he know if you're not driving on a suspended license or even if you own the vehicle? You show it bartenders, I'm sure. So why not the fuzz?

Old 06-09-2015, 06:27 PM

1,639 posts, read 2,201,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosane View Post
Hi everyone, I was driving eastbound on Wilshire Blvd, when all of a sudden a car rear ended me while I was at a redlight. We pulled over to a quiet street to exchange information. However, the guy said he had no license on him, and that it was expired. I called the police in order to file a police report. Once they arrived, they asked to see my driver license, and the officer took it and looked up my information.

Is that standard protocol? I felt it was a bit weird since I wasn't the one who rear ended anybody.

Thank you.

At first I was like....is this post even serious? But then I figure you have just never had an accident maybe? ANY....ANY accident you are involved in and the police respond, they will take the info of ALL parties involved in the accident. They HAVE to in order to file the report, and check to see if everyones license/registration etc is in order. That is just standard. Doesn't matter who is at fault.

Old 06-09-2015, 06:46 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,446,238 times
Hope it works out and that you are alright. It is pretty scary getting into an accident for sure. I was rear ended last year too and my car was totaled .

Old 06-10-2015, 12:00 AM

1,927 posts, read 1,900,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SummerFall View Post
ANY....ANY accident you are involved in and the police respond, they will take the info of ALL parties involved in the accident.
Not always. I was in a three-car pile-up on the 10 freeway back in 2006. Nobody hurt. My car was totaled -- a small car vs. a HUGE SUV. The SUV and the other car were still drivable.

We exchanged our info -- license plates, driver's licenses, insurance.

A police car pulled up. Highway patrol, I suppose. I don't remember. They asked if we had exchanged all our insurance info. We said yes. They didn't ask anyone for any info or ID.

The two cars drove off. The cops waited until a tow truck came for my car. Once I got into the tow truck, the cops also left the scene.

I think the cops were happy not to have to file a report.

Old 06-10-2015, 12:07 AM

317 posts, read 403,526 times
of course thats normal. They have to make sure you are driving legally.

Old 06-10-2015, 10:12 AM

1,940 posts, read 3,562,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinema Cat View Post
Not always. I was in a three-car pile-up on the 10 freeway back in 2006. Nobody hurt. My car was totaled -- a small car vs. a HUGE SUV. The SUV and the other car were still drivable.

I think the cops were happy not to have to file a report.
So they didn't file a report which meant they didn't need your info. The OP said he/she called the police to get a report filed. So they did need the info.

I can't believe that with a totaled car they wouldn't file a report. Usually the insurance companies want that unless the driver at fault fully claimed fault. I guess there were no physical injuries.

Either way, good thing you weren't hurt. Wrecks are awful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles